Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I have a 2006 Boxster S and decided to vacuum the leaves that were in the radiator opening in the front of the car. I realized about 5 minutes into the process that the nozzle of the vacuum was denting/bending the metal radiator grill with just a light touch. Since I probably bent the grill in a few places will my radiator stop functioning properly or am I okay?

Also, is there a DIY where to check/clean the drain plugs around the car when it rains so the car doesn't flood?

Thanks

Anthony
you ought to be ok. The drain passages don't have plugs as far as I know. Water drains from under the front hood near the windshield on each side, and at the back from somewhere near the canvas bottom adjacent to the rear fenders. The owner's manual might have a diagram, or you can try a little image surfing on line. Perhaps others will chime in with better drain advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 10:30PM by Laz. (view changes)
Boxster drain plugs
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 10:47:05 pm
There are 6 drain plugs to check,

There are 2 in the front on either side of the battery. Just look for the black rubber grommets.

4 in the back. with:

One at the bottom on either side of the black plastic liner. Easily seen when you have the top part way open. (the short grey one in the diagram.)

There's one on either side of the channel almost below the front tip of the clamshell (The long black snakey one). Again, if the top is open far enough to have the clamshell in the raised position, check the channel right near the door jamb. On the 987 it's actually on the side of the channel. Easy to miss if you're not looking for it. Again, look for the black grommet.

Just to be clear
Laz - Tuesday, 13 March, 2012, at 10:57:49 pm
they're more like grommets (rubber doughnuts) than solid plugs, right? (Along with guide tubes.)
As far as what's up front, I've noticed excess windshield fluid will pour out from near the driver's side wheel well, so I think there are other ways for water to flow aside from those near the battery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 10:59PM by Laz. (view changes)
One follow up question as I am still confused:
atwnsw - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 8:09:06 am
Should I remove the black grommets?

I am confused if I should leave the grommets in place and stick a vacuum above them?

Thanks for the diagram.

Still a little confused.

Thanks
I clean my drains with them in place without a problem. I have never removed them, but in doing so, if they are difficult to take out and replace, they might crack or brake.
There's nothing you need to remove except
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 9:12:43 am
any dirt or leaves that might be blocking the hole in the grommet (like a donut) or the tube.

Those holes and drains take away all the rain / wash water so it doesn't get into the cabin, so they need to be open and clear all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2012 09:15AM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
If you find one of the tubes blocked
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 9:20:00 am
If you run some water into the drain hole and none comes out underneath, that would indicate that the tube is blocked.

In that case, I'd try to clear it out with some compressed air.
Re: Just to be clear
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 9:10:29 am
Laz
they're more like grommets (rubber doughnuts) than solid plugs, right? (Along with guide tubes.)
As far as what's up front, I've noticed excess windshield fluid will pour out from near the driver's side wheel well, so I think there are other ways for water to flow aside from those near the battery.

That's correct. They're like rubber donuts. The water flows into the hole and down the tube. You want to make sure that the hole isn't plugged by leaves (pine needles and leaves are a REALLY bad combination.) You can run a cup of water into the hole and see if a cup comes out to make sure the tube isn't plugged. It's important to keep the drains clear or that water ends up in the cabin, usually getting under the seats and the ECU ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$ eye popping smiley )

Near the driver's side wheel well? Are you thinking of the drain from the AC? That can almost be like a faucet on a warm humid day with the AC running.
If it were this condensate
[en.wikipedia.org]
I could win a Nobel!
Good luck on the Nobel.

Now I see what you're getting at after re-reading your post. I think the washerfluid is going out the drain(s) beside the battery and the tube takes the windshield washer fluid down and out by the driver's side front footwell.
Thank you, G. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 12:39:24 pm
Thanks everybody. Should be all set....... *NM*
atwnsw - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 12:11:11 pm
Re: Thanks everybody. Should be all set.......
Wayne K - Wednesday, 14 March, 2012, at 1:18:38 pm
Regarding the bent radiator fins. I would use a none metal object and straighten them just to get better air movement through that area.
Drive your car over 250K miles and see how much over time some fins get bent over from debris coming in and hitting the fins.

BTW, those are probably A/C condensor fins.

Even if they were radiator fins there's nothing to worry about. I had a radiator fan motor shaft snap and this 'launched' the fan hub/blade assembly at the back of the (passenger) side radiator (in my Turbo). Not only did the radiator have a nice impression -- made up of bent fins -- of the hub/fan assembly on its rear facing surface, the fan no longer worked. The Turbo didn't show any signs of overheating and in fact the way I knew the fan was not running was the lack of air flow and sound at that corner when the other fan was on and obviously running.

Be gentle with the drain basins and such. You want them clean of trash and able to collect and drain away any water, but you do not want to damage them in any way.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Those little dings on the radiator ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 16 March, 2012, at 10:20:36 am
... are not enough to be concerned about.
But if you are anal about that you can purchase a radiator "comb" which will fix those dings and restore full air flow.
Most auto part stores carry it.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login