Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Yesterday the oil light in the dashboard turned on. I stop at a gas station check the oil level on the dashboard and showed empty, and I added 1 quart of oil. After I Check the engine oil level in the dashboard and manually and the oil level was full.
Today I drove the car again and the oil light start flashing and come out solid. I check the engine level in the dashboard and it showed I needed to add another quarter. I added another quarter and drove the car again.
Later the oil light started flashing again and stay solid on. I stop the car check the oil level on the dashboard and manually and it was full.

I notice that the oil light start flashing when the engine is idle or at low speed.

I know in the air cooled Porsche engine this is normal that the oil light in the dashboard flash some times in idle and its mentioned in the owners manual.

In the boxster owner manuals said to check the oil level and if the oil level is correct and still showing the oil light to take it to the dealership for review.

Any opinions of suggestions?

Cheers!
Which specific light are you talking about?
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro
The one under the speedometer that look like an oil container.
If you checked the oil level with the dipstick and it’s good, maybe it’s a problem with the oil pressure sending unit?
thumbs up *NM*
Laz - 3 years ago
Pedro
The one under the speedometer. The icon looks like an oil container
that light is not an oil level indicator. it's an oil pressure indicator.

if it's on that means you have no oil pumping through the engine and you should not be running the engine at all, even idling. the engine can and will seize without lubrication and will be toast.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
About a week ago, you mentioned having problems with the car starting and other electrical issues that sometime are caused by a faulty ignition switch (the electronic part). You mentioned that you've replaced the ignition switch recently. It's possible the new switch is faulty.

In any case, as Frogster said, I'd play it safe have the problem checked out. If the oil pressure is in fact low, it will, at some point, seize up.
As has been noted, that indicator is an oil pressure light which goes bright when oil pressure drops.
When you look at the oil level gauge, the one that comes on after you fill up, every bar is NOT one quart, and the bottom most bar is not empty.
The gauge only shows the final 2.5 quarts. So, each bar is equivalent to 1/3 qt. You should leave blank the topmost bar. That shows full.
If you add to light up the topmost bar you could be overfilled and not know by how much.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login