Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
autotopsdirect.com
boxsterd - Friday, 16 March, 2012, at 6:46:25 pm
Anyone have any experience with [www.autotopsdirect.com]? Same tops as GAHH? Prices seem cheaper. Main question is whether the same issue with GAHH tops, some parts of engine compartment blocked, exists with these tops.
Re: autotopsdirect.com
MauriceonLongIsland - Sunday, 18 March, 2012, at 8:34:15 pm
I've never dealt with autotopsdirect.com, so I can't comment on that.

Every rear glass-windowed canvas replacement that is performed without changing the frame from the three-bow frame to the later four-bow frame will necessarily have somewhat more restricted access to the engine compartment. I have seen GAHH and Robbins tops with the glass windows installed and they both have more restricted access than the factory glass windowed tops. The only solution to provide you with better access to the engine compartment is the four-bow frame from a 2003 or 2004 Boxster.

Here's a link that has some comparisons on the various tops available: [sites.google.com]

Regards, Maurice.
I have installed over a dozen ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 19 March, 2012, at 8:50:29 am
... GAHH soft tops (with glass) and, although tricky, it will allow you full access to the engine bay.
There's a precise point when opening the top that will allow you to get the glass vertical just behind the roll hoops.
Most of the other aftermarket tops with glass that I've seen will not allow you to get the glass vertical and therefore will offer limited access to the engine.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login