Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
black ice - spun car
JM-Stamford,CT - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 12:09:02 pm
spun my car today --- actually more like a REALLY big fishtail -- but watch out for that black ice ------ I know it got my attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 12:09PM by JMstamford,ct. (view changes)
But was it FUN? *NM*
Sheriff John - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 12:14:11 pm
Were you and the car OK?
Red_Lightnin! - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 12:26:41 pm
I am usually happy if I come out of it and the only thing ruined is my underwear.

I actually started fishtailing aggressively on Connecticut Ave the other day - luckily no cars on either side of me - had two fishtails and I could see where it was going so I waited until the car was in the "straight" position in the pendulum and "did both feet in" - which worked - but I would not recommend it.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Re: black ice - spun car
JM-Stamford,CT - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 2:06:10 pm
everybody is fine, but I would not be surprised if the dude in the lane next to me needed a change of underwear.

To answer your question -- it wasn't fun exactly, but not really scary either.

One of the benefits of having driven a Camaro in New England for many years is that fishtails are a common event. A little unusual in the Boxster though.
Glad you're ok. See, you need an SUV. winking smiley
CarreraLicious - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 2:27:26 pm
....you would've been going slower round the bend with a truck. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2010 02:28PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
an SUV. winking smiley
JM-Stamford,CT - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 3:02:40 pm
I wouldn't be caught dead in an SUV. winking smiley

Besides - speed wasn't the issue. it was mostly the grade of the road, coupled with the turn on.

I was pretty surprised that the front end held.
Probably the tires
Red_Lightnin! - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 3:56:56 pm
If you have big wide rear wheels with low-profile tires, that is the kiss of death in snow.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
He runs the narrower all seasons. *NM*
CarreraLicious - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 4:14:23 pm
r9i8c7k - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 4:29:37 pm
Long time ago, I went to New Hampshire for skiing with a bunch of friends. I was the lead car in the caravan of cars. The roads had no visible signs of snow, ice or water on them. All of a sudden I hit a stretch of black ice going 60 MPH.

Time dilation instantly set in and my car began to do a perfect 360 degree spin going forward. At 180 degrees into the spin, I was looking right into the face of my friend Frank who was driving behind me. Both of our eyes were as big as cue balls. My car finished the rotation with out hitting Frank's car or the guard rail.

I immediately pulled over and Frank pulled over behind me. The first thing Frank said to me was, "Holy Shit, did you see that?" I said, "Yes Frank, I lived it." The scariest 4.5 seconds of my driving life. Beware the black ice.
NorminHouston - Friday, 17 December, 2010, at 10:19:34 pm
Good story!smiling bouncing smiley
Constantin - Sunday, 19 December, 2010, at 7:12:08 am
What a classic story - hope we can preserve it in the museum - if there is one here.
I did that in my 914 once....
patrick - Saturday, 18 December, 2010, at 9:12:04 pm
doing 70 mph on the NJ Turnpike going under a bridge to find my car doing 360s on the way out. Hit some black ice from water that dripped and froze from the bridge overhead. Didn't even see it.
Luckily I was in the center lane and no one was around me. I could not do anything but count the number of revolutions as I slowly spun at 60+mph and wondered when it would stop and what I would crash into. Cars immediately braked and backed off giving me some room as I cartwheeled sideways down the NJT .
The car did three full revolutions and then stopped pointing in the correct direction and I just continued on my way a little shaken and stirred.
That was my first experience with mid-engine polar inertia. I also spun my 986 but not on black ice.
Re: I did that in my 914 once....
NorminHouston - Saturday, 18 December, 2010, at 10:42:56 pm
I bet a change of underwear was in order. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login