Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My First Real Car :-)
NuovaZeta - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 12:25:58 am
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my childish joy at buying my first ever real sports car. A 2001 Boxster.

At $13,000 and 63,000 miles I probably could have paid a little less for it if I wasn't in such a hurry. But I was getting frustrated with paying too much money for a crappy rental car and needed to move on. The point is that thanks to the Porsche I love driving again. I love the feeling I get using this car, I love the feeling I get just sitting in it and knowing that it is mine and I have realized a long time dream of owning an exotic car.

The darn thing seems to run well and so far I do not detect any mechanical issues.

Of course this car isn't cosmetically perfect, at 63,000 miles:

It has more than its share of "Miami car park kid climbing in his mom's SUV and slamming the door against the Porsche" dents; There are some careless key (or ring) scratches in the door handles and central console.

But the paint is still OK, the roof and rear window are so good that I suspect it has been replaced (need to study all the service receipts), and the rest of the interior is really good.

My goal now is to knock this baby into shape, spend a little money (but not too much) to get it looking good enough for a 2001 and make double sure it is all in good running order. No doubt you will all be seeing my stupid questions as I try to pick off the little issues one by one.

good motoring, John

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 12:34AM by NuovaZeta. (view changes)
Re: My First Real Car :-)
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 8:53:47 am
Welcome to the world of Permagrin and Pedro's Board. There are lots of people here that will be happy to answer questions tohelp you get more out of your car.

Your car looks great in the picture. It's amazing what a few coats of wax and a little TLC will do to.

Don't worry, your feelings are perfectly normal for a Boxster driver. it does make you feel like a kid again to be able to drive a car like this.

Enjoy.
Congratulations! ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 9:08:58 am
... welcome to the PB.
We hope to see you at many of our local events.
Have you joined PCA yet?
Next Sunday, 3/25 is our well-attended Spring Fling Picnic which you may want to use as your stepping stone into Porscheing.
[www.goldcoastregion.org]
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Congratulations! ...
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 12:57:32 pm
Congratulations on the new!!! car.

Parade registration is actually March 27th. Apparently there were some computer problems.
db997S - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 9:10:03 am
Congrats, Boxsters fit like an old, faded pair of Levis. They just feel right the moment you slip them on. To keep that rear window looking new, go to one of the many boat stores in Miami to get a can of Plexus. You spray it on a towel, and then wipe on and off. Me, I used a cloth diaper instead of a towel. you should be able to find diapers at any auto supply store. You may also want to buy some Ragtop to protect the top. The water bead right up, so you can usually tell when you need to reapply. Might be more frequently in your neck of the woods, then up north. While at the auto supply store picking up a diaper, look into buy some RainX for the glass windows. That will come in handy for those FL down poors y'all get. I never used it until my new car, and just love the stuff. Water beads up and blows right off the windshield.

Enjoy the car. Great color, by the way. If you love the way the car drives now, take a trip into the GA or TN mountains. FL roads tend to be like my first girlfriend, flat and no curves. The car really shines when you get it into the twisties. Those yellow road signs with the curvy arrow are what my wife and I call Boxster signs. Downshift and hit the gas for a true ear-to-ear grin.
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 12:06:55 pm
Great line about FL roads cool smiley
tom coughlin - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 9:19:06 am
I have an '02, Lapis blue and find that the clearcoat shows lots of scratches. Get some 3M (or others such as Mothers etc) scratch remover. 3M used to call theirs "hand glaze", but I guess they found out that calling it "scratch remover" sells better. If the scratch isn't deep enough to feel with your finger nail, you'll be surprised at how easily they can be made to go away.

If you can feel the scratch with your finger nail, you are in for a lot more work, with less guarantee for a good result.

Enjoy it, the Boxster is a great car. One other thing, clean that rear window before you put it down-mine's ten years old and still clear. I wipe it wet and pat (don't rub) it dry with a paper towel.
Congrats, great color thumbs up *NM*
Naples986 - Wednesday, 21 March, 2012, at 11:00:36 am
Congratulations and Happy Trails! *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 10:38:11 am
Enjoy and use in good health.....smileys with beer *NM*
Harvey in FL - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 12:59:04 pm
Great looking Boxster enjoy it! *NM*
DougW - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 9:48:07 pm
Congrats on obtaining your first Boxster....
newt - Tuesday, 20 March, 2012, at 9:59:00 pm
If you are like I was you will be saying..."honey, do we need milk? huh? do we? cause if we need milk I will gladly go to the store....how about bread? do we have enough bread? I can go get it if we don't have enough". Enjoy the car, they are great cars!
Re: Congrats on obtaining your first Boxster....
NuovaZeta - Wednesday, 21 March, 2012, at 1:07:04 am
Thanks for the encouragement, tips and witty comments everyone smiling smiley

John
danz76 - Wednesday, 21 March, 2012, at 12:06:39 pm
Congrats, hope to see you in Miami soon! I'm in a green '01 S, top is almost always down.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login