Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Saying "Hi" On The Road
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 29 April, 2012, at 9:01:16 pm
I can remember a discussion on PPBB about what the correct response should be when encountering another Pcar. I don't recall a definitive answer as to whether there was an established protocol or not. I know Harley owners, MC riders in general, and BMW owners have their own greeting, but am assuming Pcar owners do not; am I correct in my assumption?

The reason I asked is that I have passed a few Pcars recently while out and about, but other than stares, there has has been no greeting. But today it was sunny in the mid-60s and we took a drive, encountering a Panamera, and six new Ferraris (possibly leaving a wedding). None of them acknowledged us, but when we passed two Corvettes today at different times (both with their tops up), they waved to us. Is there an understanding between sports car or convertible owners to greet each other?

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Re: Saying "Hi" On The Road
Phred - Sunday, 29 April, 2012, at 9:20:51 pm
The traditional greeting from one Porsche driver to another is to flash the headlights. This dates back to at least the sixties in the U.S. but has fallen into some disuse with younger drivers and the wider range of models driven today. The "Save the Flash" campaign on PPBB and other sites was an attempt to remind drivers who might have been unaware of the historical practice. I certainly think it's a friendly gesture worth saving.

Phred
jwdbox - Sunday, 29 April, 2012, at 9:51:53 pm
I agree and still do it cool smiley
The flash is the best,
Laz - Sunday, 29 April, 2012, at 10:05:47 pm
but I've realized it can upset or confuse drivers in front of you, especially on a multilane highway, 'cause they might think you're trying to pass or have road rage. If you've already noticed each other, a wave, thumbs up, or "v" sign is good, too.
Save the flash!
Dave In MD - Sunday, 29 April, 2012, at 11:08:08 pm
I still do the flash. Although I admit the responses are not as often as they used to be.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
Here in South Florida ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 29 April, 2012, at 11:39:17 pm
... you can get ticketed for flashing your lights as its bee used to let incoming traffic that there's a speed trap ahead.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Here in South Florida and in Winter Park
tom coughlin - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 8:53:40 am
A buddy was ticketed in Winter Park just as Pedro said. He flashed an oncoming car to warn of radar and it cost him an expensive ticket.
Re: Here in South Florida ...
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 10:14:16 am
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... you can get ticketed for flashing your lights as its bee used to let incoming traffic that there's a speed trap ahead.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

This appears to be the case in some States, so I've just got into the habit of raising my hand and waiving, easy to see with the top down (Is ther any other way to drive a Boxster? smiling bouncing smiley ). Sometimes they wave back, sometime they don't.
probably not worth it, but you can fight that easily...
grant - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 8:15:40 pm
they must prove intent. Good luck. As counter evidence I'd cite this thread! Obvious we were just saying "hi"

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 9:04:03 am
That is not an offense in Ohio.

I guess I will flash when it won't confuse others. Otherwise, I'll probably give a Thumbs Up. thumbs up

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
danz76 - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 12:20:21 pm
This practice was very commonly reciprocated by other P car drivers when I lived in northern NJ, but here in Miami people either ignore me or stare at me, so I have been doing it less frequently. I agree, I'd like to see this saved.
San Rensho - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 6:48:02 pm
danz76
This practice was very commonly reciprocated by other P car drivers when I lived in northern NJ, but here in Miami people either ignore me or stare at me, so I have been doing it less frequently. I agree, I'd like to see this saved.

Drivers in Miami are the biggest @ss-holes in the world and I can say this because I live in Miami. 911 drivers think their sh!t doesn't stink and would NEVER acknowledge the existence of a guy in a lowly "chick car" Boxster. Even other Bosxster drivers will just stare straight ahead and ignore me.

There is an insidious, pervading sense of entitlement among drivers in Miami, that the roads are made for them, and them only, that they have the coolest car in the world and everyone else has to get out of their way. And when you cross the causeway from Miami to Miam Beach, multiply the above by 10.
I hear Broward Co. ain't as bad winking smiley *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 7:36:47 pm
Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: I hear Broward Co. ain't as bad winking smiley
San Rensho - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 10:50:26 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
n/t

Absolutely right. Just cross the county line to Broward and drivers are definitely nicer, and go one county up to Palm beach and the drivers actually start to get civilised. Sometimes, the slow poke drivers in the left lane on the freeway will actually move to the right lane to let you pass. Something that would never happen in Miami
If you don't like ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 10:06:44 am
... the people from Weston, you can just go across I-75 and deal with those damed DAVIE people (Gary in SoFL) winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

You'll be pleasantly surprised....
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 2 May, 2012, at 2:24:05 pm
No Weston foo-foo stuff in Davie, and really nice people smileys with beer
NuovaZeta - Tuesday, 8 May, 2012, at 2:58:43 pm
San Rensho
Drivers in Miami are the biggest @ss-holes in the world and I can say this because I live in Miami.

Yep! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this, I have just moved to Miami and have to pretty much agree. It's dog eat dog out there on the Dolphin expressway sometimes. I've been saved by quick reactions and having a good handling car on several occasions. It keeps you focused I can say that!

Customary greetings: If you follow the Harley or BMW rule then you'd have to take your hand off the steering wheel and stick your entire arm out of the window. In Europe they seem to wave at every motorcycle, not just other Harleys. That's fine if you are riding at the velocity of a farm tractor, but if you are coming the other way at speed on a sports bike and are fully focused on what you are doing then the arm waving thing becomes pretty annoying. Ducati riders tend to slightly raise their fingers off the left bar for a millisecond without actually moving their gaze off the entry point for the next corner. This is a recognized sign of mutual respect.

With sports cars I always thought the custom was to pull up beside them at the traffic lights, start revving your engine then look over and stare at other guy's hot girlfriend. I tried this with a 458 on South Beach the other day. Typical Ferrari driver pretended to ignore me then showed me his tail pipe... hummph how rude!

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 03:00PM by NuovaZeta. (view changes)
There are lots of acceptable methods... (and an admission)
grant - Monday, 30 April, 2012, at 8:14:17 pm
a waive, a quick flash, a tip of the hat ( if the top is down)....

When i get the strangest looks is when, while driving my Audi, i forget and ack a Porsche. Many confused folks out there :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login