Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Battery went belly up on my '08 Cayman S
NorminHouston - Sunday, 19 December, 2010, at 11:13:04 pm
I guess Moll is not making them like they used to. The Moll on my '03 Boxster S lasted a little over six years. Fortunately, this one was covered under warranty.
Re: Battery went belly up on my '08 Cayman S
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 20 December, 2010, at 12:03:12 am
I think sometimes a battery can have one cell that is bad even when new, although I would think it would show up pretty soon after purchasing the car or battery.

I once replaced a battery in my wife's car and it went about 2 weeks before it died. I just had one bad cell. It was replaced uner warranty.

Did the dealer check to see that it was being charged properly? That could be another reason for battery failure.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: Battery went belly up on my '08 Cayman S
db997S - Monday, 20 December, 2010, at 1:12:39 pm
Driving can come into play, too. Lots of short trips can drain a battery, too, espcially in the cold weather. It takes juice to start a car, and if you don't drive it very far, the alternator doesn't have time to replenish that juice. But, if that doesn't describe your driving habits, I'd hope that the dealer did some diagnositcs as two years is a very short life for a battery under normal driving conditions. My first Boxster was 4 when I got rid of it, and it was still on the original battery. My '02 lasted 5 years before having to be replaced.

Is yours a sealed battery? If not, you should check the water levels every so often. Use distilled water. Low water levels can kill the cells.

You might want to consider a trickle charger in the future if there was nothing out of the norm going on with the car. Plug it in when you know you won't be driving it frequently.

--db
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login