Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I have noticed a noise when driving my car over bumps. After some additional research I isolated the noise over the rear passenger tire.
If I put my body weight over the rear quarter panel like a trampoline I can easily hear the noise.
It sounds like a squeaky bed.

Has anybody else experienced this? What was the fix?
you'll know what is required to fix the problem that is producing the noise.

One way would be to get the car in the air -- on a lift supported by its tires/wheels/etc. -- and figure out a way to cause the car's suspension to work. I've watched techs under my cars grab some suspension part and get the car's front or rear moving up and down during an alignment and road worthy test to help settle the car's steering/suspension during the alignment or spot any suspension/steering issues.

My WAG would be there's a sway bar link problem with your car. Unlikely a shock would squeak. But of course when you are under the car you can check for a leaking shock.

But a spring pad car squeak or there is some other bushing making the noise.

A good visual inspection is required too, to look for any signs of bushing wear/unusual markings around a bushing, signs of bushing deterioration and so on.

In short, time to get under the car.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
On a serious note, agree. Also, don't just check the rear of the car. I swore that one time I heard a squeaking coming from behind my left ear when I would go over speed humps slowly. Brought the car in and it was actually my front left bushing. It's good to get the car up, too, and have your CV Boots/Joints checked out. To boots tear from time to time. They don't cause squeaking, but just a fairly common issue it seems like on these cars.
Probably the lower control arm
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 8 May, 2012, at 3:47:54 pm
You can be sure by spraying a lubricant on the bushing. If the noise stops (temporarily - the fix isn't that easy) then the problem is the control arm.

To fix it you have to replace the entire control arm, which is a DIY then get the wheels realigned.
Re: Probably the lower control arm
frogster - Tuesday, 8 May, 2012, at 4:25:14 pm
i had a squeak as well and it was, as boxsterra suggests, the control arm bushing.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
The control arm bushings are not replaceable.
You need to replace the whole arm.

The lower control arm is $388.58 (MSRP) at Bert Smith it's $349.72
The lateral rod arm is $186.37 (MSRP) at Bert Smith it's $167.73

Labor should be about 2 hours plus you'll need an alignment.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
The control arm price varies
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 9 May, 2012, at 9:10:32 am
You can get a rebuilt one for about $150-200 and there are occasional deals for less. There's a new one on eBay right now for under $100.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login