Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I hope that puddle isn't too deep!!!
TCinNJ - Monday, 20 December, 2010, at 5:17:33 pm
Looks like very heavy rain in California.

[col.stb.s-msn.com]
Re: I hope that puddle isn't too deep!!!
Spanky - Monday, 20 December, 2010, at 6:07:06 pm
Yeah, bad weather here means rain. I know you East Coasters and Yankees don't feel too sorry for us though.

Boxster stays in the garage on rainy days and the FJ Cruiser is brought into duty. The FJ is an extreme opposite of the Boxster in every way.

2006 Boxster, Silver w/Metropol Blue, Sports/Chrono pkg & 19" Carrera S wheels.
"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"
Re: I hope that puddle isn't too deep!!!
jeff in VA - Tuesday, 21 December, 2010, at 6:27:46 pm
Wannabe U-boat commander? ;-)
Drove down a street that unknown to me -- until too late -- came to a railroad underpass. Flooded. I couldn't turn around or back up -- cars behind me and no room -- but I could see the water wasn't real deep. I thought I could make it through if I took it slow. But I noticed a big rig coming the other way. I had my hand held CB radio on and handy and got on it and asked the driver of the big rig to when he drove through the water to do so slowly so as not to flood my car -- I was worried about his truck's tire splash getting water into the Boxster's engine air intake.

The driver had his CB on and was a bit surprised to get contacted by a Porsche driver but he assured me he take it easy. So I ventured ahead and here came the truck from the other direction. The big rig driver kept his word and me and the Boxster made it through ok.

A few minutes later (or less -- Higginsville is not that big) I was on a city street that was near full to the curb with water. I was going along at a slow pace and here comes a huge raised pickup on riding on huge mud tires and when the driver spotted the Boxster he purposely sped up and when he went by my car threw off a bow wave that would have done the Queen Mary proud. Nothing I could do. But Boxster unaffected by the drenching.

(A variation is in the winter with snow/slush piled up on the center line of the road more than once an approaching pickup with swerve over and ride the center line with its left side tires in order to splash my Boxster with snow/slush. Windshield washers/wipers had the glass clean in no time and the car was while a bit dirtier -- which rinsed right off in the car wash -- no worse for the experience.)

These are tough cars and a half foot or so of standing water no big deal as long as one goes through the water at a sensible speed and remembers to apply the brakes afterwards to dry the brakes. Almost no braking action/bite at first but after a moment the brakes came back to full life.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I call Photoshop!
986rgt - Tuesday, 21 December, 2010, at 10:21:00 pm
No way you guys in Cali get bad weather! Not with global warming! Just a bitter NorthEasterner freezing his but off on a cold winter night shift...

Steve

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Hey, it does look damp in California
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 21 December, 2010, at 10:43:15 pm
We got a bit of rain a few years ago too. I don't mind the stuff. At least you don't have to shovel it.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login