Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
981 lengthy driving clip
Roger987 - Saturday, 12 May, 2012, at 8:32:25 am
I don't think this has been posted here yet. Great sounds and visuals. The PDK shifts FAST !

[www.youtube.com]
Re: 981 lengthy driving clip
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Saturday, 12 May, 2012, at 11:24:17 am
Either that video was run at 1/2 speed, or he never got past 3rd gear until the later half. drinking smiley

If you are going to drive, THEN DRIVE IT. Otherwise, park it.

I agree that the PDK is very nice; it is very easy to shift up and down. And when I get lazy, I let it downshift at stops. One interesting aspect seems to be that the PDK is linked to the speedometer, which lags behind what the car is doing. For example, when I stop at a Stop Sign, the the car stops completely, but the speedometer is still moving towards 0-mph, downshifting thru the gears towards 1st. I wait till it gets to 2nd gear, then start moving forward, which keeps me from having to start in 1st (which is agonizingly slowwwww). The transition from moving to stopping to moving again is smooth, and yet I still have time to come to a complete stop and look before moving.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Re: 981 lengthy driving clip
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 12 May, 2012, at 5:31:12 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
Either that video was run at 1/2 speed, or he never got past 3rd gear until the later half. drinking smiley

If you are going to drive, THEN DRIVE IT. Otherwise, park it.

I agree that the PDK is very nice; it is very easy to shift up and down. And when I get lazy, I let it downshift at stops. One interesting aspect seems to be that the PDK is linked to the speedometer, which lags behind what the car is doing. For example, when I stop at a Stop Sign, the the car stops completely, but the speedometer is still moving towards 0-mph, downshifting thru the gears towards 1st. I wait till it gets to 2nd gear, then start moving forward, which keeps me from having to start in 1st (which is agonizingly slowwwww). The transition from moving to stopping to moving again is smooth, and yet I still have time to come to a complete stop and look before moving.

Are you saying that starting from 1st is slower than starting from 2nd? I don't understand how that can be. confused smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Always though it to be because you thus eliminated a shift on the way to normal speeds. Might be more economical too.
Ah yes. I was thinking manual transmission, not PDK. I have realivily little experience there. Still I would think if you're really accelerating, starting from 1st would be quicker, but that's based on my experience with manual.
Re: PDK is Da Bomb
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 13 May, 2012, at 10:47:06 am
Guenter in Ontario
Ah yes. I was thinking manual transmission, not PDK. I have realivily little experience there. Still I would think if you're really accelerating, starting from 1st would be quicker....

First gear is like crawlinggggg thumbs down; 2nd gear is spritely. thumbs up thumbs up

You are welcome to try my PDK when we meet.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 10:48AM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 14 May, 2012, at 11:21:12 pm
I read the PDK article in the link. I don't think I have a SPORT button the article mentioned, but will check the manual.

I ran the around today and it may have blipped once. I was stopped on a hill and in 1st gear. When I started out and got the rpms up to about 3500 or so and shifted into 2nd, the blip occurred.

Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 14 May, 2012, at 11:56:58 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
I read the PDK article in the link. I don't think I have a SPORT button the article mentioned, but will check the manual.

I ran the around today and it may have blipped once. I was stopped on a hill and in 1st gear. When I started out and got the rpms up to about 3500 or so and shifted into 2nd, the blip occurred.

Something doesn't sound right. When you shift to a higher gear, your engine speed will drop, so the engine shouldn't be bliping. It should be happening the other way around - that is, when you downshift, your engine speed will rise, that's why you blip the throttle to match the engine speed to what's needed for the lower gear.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
on old board while reviewing new 997.2 w/ PDK:

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde - a PDK Test Drive... (long)

See ΒΆ 3 sentence 2. Throttle blips occur whether sports mode is engaged or not.
Here you go:
Burg Boxster - Wednesday, 16 May, 2012, at 12:11:13 am
Burg Boxster - Friday, 7 November, 2008, at 5:45:47 pm
Had an appointment this AM w/ local dealer to test drive a 997.2 w/ PDK. Original plans called for a Targa 4S but sales mgr swapped in a C2S instead. Reason: Targa 4S didn't have Sport Pkg Plus (w/ launch control) which he insisted is a must try. I swore I'd never consider owning a stickless Porsche but I take it back (caveat below). Simply, the new tranny is an absolute game changer. True, you don't feel 1000% connected w/ vehicle as you would rowing thru the gears, but when you round up 999.9%, you get the same result
winking smiley

With a friend, not the sales mgr, we were able to test drive the car on some familiar local twisty and hilly roads smiling smiley In the fully auto mode you feel like you should be doing something else...not driving a Porsche. The PDK does a great job managing it's 'common' task or shifting. Period. And almost to a fault. Every shift, up or down, is seamlessly smooth as silk. Starts from a stop, acoustically, even sound like you're driving a stick. One tug on the steering wheel paddles either way and you're into manual mode. Try and over-rev, or slow down and the tranny quietly takes back over and shifts both directions as needed. All silky smooth. As you slow and brake to a stop, the tranny assists the entire time. Most automatics basically let you coast to a stop. Not the PDK, it assists. The tranny engineers must know our disdain for brake dust. Disconnected? Yes that could be one way to describe it. Numbing is another. In essence, fully auto-mode is un-challenging at best. Others said boring and I can see why... b/c it is.

But wait!

Dropping it into sport mode, and especially sport plus mode brings the beauty of the PDK alive. Again, acoustically it sounds [almost] like you're driving a 6sp. Starts from a stop, downshift blips, the works. The meat and potatoes though are the shifts and oh yeah, the PDK's intuitive and burning desire to always keep you in the power band.

In Sport Plus, it won't upshift until the last possible split second and downshifts when you're just about to fall below the power band. With your foot off or on the loud pedal, you hear the throttle blip, see an increase in RPMs and all of the sudden you're in the best gear for your current speed. And oh yeah, smack dab in the power band. No lurch, no hesitation, no slams, just the sweet sound of the RPMs begging you to hit the go pedal. It's as if they should, could or will put a warning in the message center: "Right Foot Not Fully Engaged" smiling smiley . Yes, you can and should over-ride gear selection, up or down, w/ the paddles. Don't hang out low too long though b/c in sport plus mode the PDK takes over and says nope, I'm putting you where I know you want to be and with the most power available. Over-revs or money shifts would not even be an option.

So, what about the launch control? Much to the dismay of the sales mgr, we couldn't bear bringing ourselves to test it b/c the car was brand spanking new. Truly, I'll bet it is absolutely amazing. In a C2S I think it could be dangerous...in a C4S downright addicting grinning smiley

All in all, the PDK is amazing when paired w/ the Sport Chrono Plus Pkg (the caveat). Without it, I can understand others descriptions of boring and unconnected. With it, what an effin blast! Humbly, after a 1hr test drive w/ an avg 12.7mpg, we turned it back in. In my book, if you're getting the Sport Chrono Plus Pkg, the PDK is viable and should be considered/welcomed. I can only imagine if they put it in the other nameplate's R8 let alone a 997 Turbo. grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

YMMV but I'm sold on the PDK. Nicely done Porsche smiling smiley

Although I enjoyed the PDK back then and can see why others choose it, personally I'll still opt for a manual... unless of course I got a Turbo S where it's not even possible. But I needn't worry about that "problem" at this point in time winking smiley
As i found out at an autoX dribving a student's 991 PDK in sport plus mode two weeks back. 3-->1 downshift and "hey, why am i seeing the next gate through the side window?".

All was well. Gate was threaded. Car was fun.

Grant

Grant

How the heck did you get into 3rd gear at an AX?
jg wnc - Tuesday, 15 May, 2012, at 5:32:09 pm
I have never seen one that took me out of 2nd - even wide open courses. That is some serious deceleration and a tight corner at the end of a long straight section to go from 3rd to 1st.
intentional, a very poorly designed AX course, software/sensor issue, or likey driver error... even if PSM off.
That was part of the point of the story.

Note also this is a 7-sp PDK with quite a short set of early gears, but it was loping (relatively speaking) in 3rd.

Now, on that note, we have a few autocrosses that even get my 5-sp 986 into 3rd. I max out at about 73 mph in 2nd gear. When we run the Zone 1 finals on air force runways, we get > 80. Our fastest tracks with SCCA at Giant's Stadium are debatable. You cna use 3rd, but is the shift worth it? To me, no.

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 08:25AM by grant. (view changes)
With a TIP first
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 13 May, 2012, at 12:41:29 pm
was super quick but it meant an almost immediate shift as you got to red line somewhere below 20MPH IIRC. I'd use it in fun driving when I wanted to bang off the rev limiter but for most, I'd just stay in manual 2nd where I could motor around all day with just the accelerator and only shift at significant speeds once I got to the highway. I think the difference was 1st was quicker off the line for the first 100 feet but 2nd might have been quicker to 40-50MPH.
It's a nice change to see more lingering shots, rather than a car whipping past the camera. Speeding, cornering car videos certainly have their place, but they're akin to the all too prevalent wide angle close up stills that defeat a car's design attributes. A overly distorted close up of a car's headlight and fender tell me nothing about whether I'll like it or not. I doubt if designers judge their work based on what it'll look like through a 16mm lens.
Yeech, fire the proofreader! *NM*
Laz - Monday, 14 May, 2012, at 11:15:09 am
Tried but he keeps coming back grinning smiley winking smiley grinning smiley *NM*
Burg Boxster - Monday, 14 May, 2012, at 11:34:56 am
at 4:44 i noticed a little throttle blip in what appears to have been a slowing down for a curve. it seemed very human, not something i thought a PDK box would do. anyone with a PDK care to comment?

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
frogster
at 4:44 i noticed a little throttle blip in what appears to have been a slowing down for a curve. it seemed very human, not something i thought a PDK box would do. anyone with a PDK care to comment?

That blip I heard was him shifting up from a low gear, probably second. It seems like in the low gears, you can get a blip if your rpms aren't at a sweet spot the tranny likes. It disappears after 3rd gear (I think).

Am about to wash te cara and take it out. Will check this and let you know.

frogster
at 4:44 i noticed a little throttle blip in what appears to have been a slowing down for a curve. it seemed very human, not something i thought a PDK box would do. anyone with a PDK care to comment?[/quot

From driving a 2012 Boxster with PDK, I know that the transmission downshifts by itself when you are decelerating from high speeds, and not just when the car reaches the lower gear's speed range. Even at higher speeds, the car will go into the lower gear and, if you are breaking, you definitely feel the compression breaking effect. I am also pretty sure that transmission matches revs, i.e. speeds up the engine before engaging the lower gear, but the shift happens so quickly that it is difficult to tell for sure. All you experience from the driver's seat is the jump in rpm's on the tack, and bang! you are in the lower gear. Whether the "blip" in rpm's is before or after the gear is engaged, I am not sure.
Tino
All you experience from the driver's seat is the jump in rpm's on the tack, and bang! you are in the lower gear. Whether the "blip" in rpm's is before or after the gear is engaged, I am not sure.

The "blip" would have to be before the lower gear is engaged. The idea of the "blip" is to match the engine speed to where it should be in the lower gear it's shifting to. Also, I don't see how you could "blip" the engine if any gear is engaged.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
Guenter in Ontario

The "blip" would have to be before the lower gear is engaged. The idea of the "blip" is to match the engine speed to where it should be in the lower gear it's shifting to. Also, I don't see how you could "blip" the engine if any gear is engaged.

Guenter, the transmission simply matches engine speed for the gear, something that all transmissions do, except that in some cases, like when someone downshifts a manual transmission without using the throttle, the matching happens after the shift, when the lower gear is engaged. The PDK shifts so quickly that it's hard to tell whether the rpm's go up before the shift (i.e. the tranny is "blipping" the engine to smooth out the shift) or after, when the engine speed will be increased mechanically by the speed of the car (and the quickness of the PDK clutch engagement makes it feel like a blip). The shifts are very smooth, however, and I suspect that the tranny is actively matching the speeds by revving up the engine a fraction of a second before the active clutch engages.
See paragraph four at this link:
Laz - Monday, 14 May, 2012, at 6:49:52 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login