Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Need Some Wheel Wisdom
slotsunami - Thursday, 23 December, 2010, at 1:49:31 am
I have a 2000 Boxster and am interested in going to 18” offset wheels that give the car a wider stance. I like the look of the black center and polished outer rim. I currently have 17” Sport Classics and also have Bilstein PSS9 Coil-Overs which lowered the car about 1”. I am getting mixed messages on whether that will affect the offset. What are some good-looking wheels that fit this direction? I will probably keep the wheels I have now for the track or autocrossing.

[i1181.photobucket.com]
Re: Need Some Wheel Wisdom
RiskMan - Thursday, 23 December, 2010, at 8:55:44 pm
slotsunami, while I don't post much, saw your post and thought I'd respond. Don't know how much you want to spend, but CCW's sound like they would fit your needs. They will custom build the wheel to your specs and their Classic wheel sounds like the combination you might be looking for, here's a couple of pics of mine on my 04S:

Center caps are available for street use, as are a variety of finishes for the wheel center section. Here's their web page:

[www.ccwheel.com]

You might also consider staying with 17's and having them built to the width you want for the stance you are seeking.

CCW's aren't particularly inexpensive, but they have long been one of the favored wheels in the solo (autox) world.
Re: Need Some Wheel Wisdom
Griff 03s - Thursday, 23 December, 2010, at 9:15:01 pm
On my 03 S I have Gemballa Competition Wheels 18X8 up front with 225/40 18's and on the rear I have 18X10 with 265/35 18's. They have a wider stance without spacers......

18" BBS on 1" lowered '02 Boxster S
Ed(Arizona) - Friday, 24 December, 2010, at 10:45:52 am
10" rear with 285/35/18 Kumho 710 tires and 8" front with 245/35/18
These BBS wheels are used from a 911 Turbo with spacers to fit the wheel well.
The lowering does affect the fitment - we rolled the finders and had to custom size/lath one of the rear spacers.
IMHO you car looks great with the wheels you have smiling smiley
And, we have taken our Boxster off the track (mostly anyway) and put the original 17" Turbo Twist back on with
great Mich PS2 tires.

Good luck with your project,

Roy Turner
Phoenix, AZ
2002 Boxster S Cobalt/Blk/Blk
Re: 18" BBS on 1" lowered '02 Boxster S
slotsunami - Friday, 24 December, 2010, at 11:37:48 pm
What size are your spacers? Some track guys keep telling me not to go with spacers but with custom offsets.
Because the BBS wheels came off a Turbo the offset was big in the rear - we used 18MM spacers on the rear with the right side cut to 16.5
The front was 5MM.
These were our track wheels and we had no trouble with them in Ax and DE with R compound tires (stick like glue !)
Although, we did replace rear wheel bearings at 60K miles - I think this had more to do with the camber settings, tires (285s), and hard track use than the wheels.

If you are willing to pay the $$ for really nice wheels, then buying the correct offset is a much better option than spacers. We were looking for track wheels
at a lower cost point ($650) smiling smiley

Take care,

Roy Turner
Phoenix, AZ
2002 Boxster S Cobalt/Blk/Blk
well, spacers, no matter ow good, add additional
grant - Wednesday, 29 December, 2010, at 11:44:22 am
points for weakness and for centering to be off just a bit.

Additional offset also places more strain on the hub and various suspension bits. in effect you have placed your wheel on a (very small) lever.

Finally, it changes the front steering geometry - generally not for the better. Again, not by a huge amount, but its unavoidable.

Grant
And spacers add unsprung weight
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 29 December, 2010, at 11:55:26 am
as generally do longer wheel bolts.
How bout grey?...
CarreraLicious - Friday, 24 December, 2010, at 3:13:51 pm
18" with grey centers and polished outer rim...

Re: How bout grey?...
slotsunami - Friday, 24 December, 2010, at 11:35:35 pm
I kind of like the grey centers, I certainly will think about those. I was looking at the HRE with grey centers but they were north of $6,000 for 4.
"Porsche" and "0 cost option": LOL *NM*
Tom F. - Wednesday, 29 December, 2010, at 1:03:06 pm
[fuchsperformance.com]

18" isn't available right now but Fuchs Performance site says they're "coming soon". Until then, 19s & 20s are available. Looks like the former German Fuchs wheel manufacturer is defunct. Fuchs Performance Wheels is a California company and I believe this company is the supplier that provides Porsche with the Fuchs wheels it offers on a couple of their special models. The current Fuchs FP wheel is styled after the old Fuchs A5 wheels that Porsche formerly used back in the day. Still a great, classic look IMO.

Here's a shot of a Boxster clad with the Fuchs FPs:

[fuchsperformance.com]

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 12:41PM by John Brown of Northern Virginia. (view changes)
on a modern Porsche, aren't you? That's still my favorite wheel design especially in flat black centers & polished rims. Believe the new Fuchs wheels have the polished rims sealed however.

Been meaning to ask you about the hat on your Avatar. Is that a photo of you?

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World
On further perusal, the wheel colors are garish in some cases.
Laz - Wednesday, 29 December, 2010, at 4:36:54 pm
Maybe they did it to emphasize color differences at the fairly small display size, but it doesn't help with judging the aesthetic harmony. Also, I don't see a difference between the Arctic and GT Silver body colors, but the other colors appear to be lots more accurate than the Porsche site's repro.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login