Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Roof folder rope question
Thierry, Quebec City, Canada - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 12:04:32 pm
Guys;
2003, 2.7 Boxster

I have been battling with that roof rope since last year. That rope looks like a shoe rope. It goes from side to side of the roof just between inside liner and the roof membrane. That rope is attach on both sides to a kind of plastic eye that is screwed with a 15mm Tork screw. On both ends of the rope, there is a piece of sewed fabric.
Questions:
1- When looking on both side, does that rop shoud pass between both velcro or below or above?
2- With the roof in service mode, when att. to both eyes, does that rope should be louse? Mine is.
3- Both ends of the rope don't stay attach to the eyes when I operate the the roof from open-close-open. Why? Is there a solution?

Many thanks

Thierry
2 sources of help for tops
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 2:40:16 pm
[www.renntech.org]

and

[sites.google.com]

Maurice is the expert both places.
Re: 2 sources of help for tops
Thierry, Quebec City, Canada - Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, at 9:37:13 am
Anybody can confirm what type of black yarn I need to buy to sew back the Velcro? They are literally hanging by two stitches...
MauriceonLongIsland - Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, at 10:49:05 am
Your best bet is get some thread from a boating store, the type that they use to patch sails. That thread is very strong and UV resistant and less likely to disintegrate from the effects of the sun.

Regards, Maurice.
Thierry, Quebec City, Canada - Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, at 12:28:19 pm
Thanks Maurice, I will go to a sail reparing shop and buy a meter or so of a good strong yarn.

Thierry
Re: Roof folder rope question
MauriceonLongIsland - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 11:06:22 pm
Thierry, Quebec City, Canada
Guys;
2003, 2.7 Boxster

I have been battling with that roof rope since last year. That rope looks like a shoe rope. It goes from side to side of the roof just between inside liner and the roof membrane. That rope is attach on both sides to a kind of plastic eye that is screwed with a 15mm Tork screw. On both ends of the rope, there is a piece of sewed fabric.
Questions:
1- When looking on both side, does that rop shoud pass between both velcro or below or above?
2- With the roof in service mode, when att. to both eyes, does that rope should be louse? Mine is.
3- Both ends of the rope don't stay attach to the eyes when I operate the the roof from open-close-open. Why? Is there a solution?

Many thanks
Thierry

Thierry:
1. Here are a couple of photos that will answer the question:

2. The rope ends are supposed to look like they are loose when the roof is in the service mode. It only gets taut when the roof is in the completely closed position because the elastic band (which is not visible) pulls on the edges to help guide the edges into the outside metal channel.

3. Here is the proper routing of the rope at the eyelet. In the first photo I have drawn-in the correct position.

Regards, Maurice.
Re: Roof folder rope question
Thierry, Quebec City, Canada - Wednesday, 27 June, 2012, at 7:09:28 am
Thanks a lot guys. That does really answer my questions! I love that Boxster community!thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login