Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
How about a smart phone thread!
boxsterd - Saturday, 25 December, 2010, at 5:02:02 pm
I suppose if a watch thread is legal, why not a thread about smart phones. I'm trying to decide between the iphone4 and an android phone such as the Samsung Captivate. I'm with AT&T. They seem very similar, with the main difference being the availability of apps. Does anyone have a preference for either, and why?
Re: How about a smart phone thread!
Dave In MD - Saturday, 25 December, 2010, at 6:55:55 pm
I've had my Driod 2 Global (Verizon) for about a month. Love it. And being a Blackberry user, the slide out keyboard is much better than the touch keypad.

Where I live the AT&T coverage is terrible so the iPhone wasn't really an option. But while I like the Apple products such as Mac and iPads, Apple's app lock-in is not something I agree with. Lots of apps for the Android and growing fast and you can get them without going through the "Market" application. Even does a PC to smart phone sync for music like the iPhone. I downloaded a root kit for it and removed all of the Verizon installed bloat-ware such as Amazon music, Kendal and Skype which ran all the time. Helped the battery life a lot; maybe even double. There's even a lap timer for DE. smiling smiley

[lh6.ggpht.com]

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
if i were to get a droid, i'd go with the Nexus S
frogster - Saturday, 25 December, 2010, at 9:21:07 pm
i know you said you were with ATT but i would much prefer a pure android phone rather than one with all that bloatware that motorola, samsung, and HTC put on their android layers. if i do android, i want android in its pure and unaltered state. having said that, apparently, the samsung galaxy s is the same physical phone.
i have an iPhone 4 and must say that it is phenomenal. i don't mind the app lock-in because virtually everything i need is available. the only thing i can't do without jailbreaking my phone is turn it into a wifi hotspot which i could use once in a while with my iPad. but even that's not a big deal since there's wifi virtually anywhere i use it.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I've got a nexus one & absolutely love it
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 25 December, 2010, at 11:02:30 pm
My favorite part about it is that its unlocked. I've used it in 4 or 5 countries just getting local sim cards as needed, and often while in the US I don't even bother with the data plan rendering it ultra cheap in those times. Oh and when the data plan is turned on, the GPS software is fantastic. So If I were looking for a new phone, I'd likely do like Frogster suggests and pick up the nexus S, unlocked of course smiling smiley
i still use my stupid rotary phonesmiling bouncing smiley *NM*
extanker - Sunday, 26 December, 2010, at 11:30:34 am

Seriously though, I like my HTC Driod Incredible. Had if for a few months now. Once I got the optional 2150 mAh battery, and the Froyo upgrade, I have no major complaints. I just got the video cable so I can plug it into a TV and play video. The picture is a little jerky with fast motion like Top Gear, but documents are clear and easy to read.
dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login