Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Just started happening. When I open the driver side door, the window only drops part way down, and sometimes gets 'caught' on the roof when you open the door. If I pop the top latch, it drops correctly, but the door drop isn't right. Any thoughts on what I might need to check/change to fix that?

Thanks,
Mark
That sounds like ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 8:04:49 am
... the window regulator has lost its tension on the cable.
There's a small plastic piece that maintains the tension on the cable that breaks because of age/use.
The only permanent fix is to replace the regulator.
This is a fairly common problem.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
That happened to me once. I was able to "reset" the window indexing by lowering the windows, lowering the top, raising the windows, lowering again, shutting the engine off. When I restarted the car and raised the top, everything worked like normal. Maybe I was just lucky, but it's worth a try.
cases the window regulator (that cabling system along with some other hardware directly associated with this) needs to be replaced. For one side the tech told me the original one just fell apart when he removed it -- the regulator just wore out.

However, you can try resetting the window limit as suggested by Mixster. The proper way is to remove battery power -- safely and following the correct procedures to do this! -- and after reconnecting the battery reset the window limits -- both windows; the e-gas will need recalibrating; and the radio code possibly entered; and the engine will lose its current fueling data but the DME will relearn this in short order.

To recalibrate the e-gas system turn the ignition key to the on position and leave in that position for 60 seconds. Turn the key off and leave off for 10 seconds. Then start the engine. At no time during this process should you touch the gas pedal.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Last Summer, the window on my 2008 would not close all the way while I was on a long road trip to Canada and upstate New York. Naturally, it was during a very heavy rain period. After covering the open window with my rain coat, I was able to locate a procedure on the Internet to reset the window. I don't recall exactly how it worked but I know I did not disconnect the battery.

Cheers,
mike
According to the manual, resetting the window end position is accomplished by:

1. Close the windows with the rocker switch once.

2. Press front half of rocker switch again to store
the end position of the windows in the control unit.
with the battery disconnect/reconnect steps because the only times I've seen this window limit reset recommended was after a power loss to for instance a dead battery and I assumed the old setting had to be removed via a power loss.

But based on new info I would have to believe the new setting just overwrites the old setting.

Also, I left out an important step that Guenter caught.

The steps are: Lower the window completely using the lower button. Release this button. Then use the raise button to raise the window fully and hold the button down for 5 more seconds.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
which makes sense since your switches are in a different location (the center console) and work a bit different from mine which are located on the doors.
Thanks guys for the information. I'll try the Window Limit reset, and see if that helps. The window 'partially' drops - just not the full amount, so maybe that will help. If I have to replace the hardware, any thoughts on how difficult a job that is? I'm fairly mechanical, but just wondering. Some door panels are easy - others are not...
it proved to be the window regulator.

I'm not saying don't do the limit reset thing but don't get your hopes up.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to working on interiors and door panels to the point I feel like I'm being asked to perform brain surgery with one hand behind my back, so I leave this to the experts.

The job is not hard, I can't recall the labor amount but there's not much. Less than 2 hours I think and the tech probably does it in less time. I've seen them remove a door panel in just a few minutes all the time keeping up their half a conversation about something I was asking about. (The last time I watched this operation, like always, I offered to shut up and go away if I was in hindering his work and this time I was not sent away.)

Might mention a side benefit of having this repair done. Make that two: The passenger side window always made a kind of crunching/cracking sound as it ended its travel when closing. After the window regulator was replaced the window's operation going up or down is quiet.

The driver's side window allowed a bit of water past during a car wash. The last time I washed the car I didn't see the usual couple of drops of water running down the inside of the glass. I got a bit more aggressive with the car wash wand nozzle and still no water. Looks like the window regulator replacement and resulting adjustment of the window's fit against the rubber seal fixed this minor leak.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thanks Marc,

In all likelihood, I'll have somebody else work on it - I don't like to start a project, and not be able to either find the time (or knowledge) to get it done! I'll try the reset and see if that 'helps', but I suspect that won't do it.

Mark
Mark:

There is a guy on 986forum who devised a way to repair the slackening of the cable in the window regulator by installing a bicyle brake adjuster mechanism in place of the plastic piece to take up the slack.

IIRC, a year later he said it was still working like new.

If I find the link, I'll post it here.

Regards, Maurice.
MauriceonLongIsland
Mark:

There is a guy on 986forum who devised a way to repair the slackening of the cable in the window regulator by installing a bicyle brake adjuster mechanism in place of the plastic piece to take up the slack.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice. If you find the link, please do post it - interest concept...
Mark from SC
MauriceonLongIsland
Mark:

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks Maurice. If you find the link, please do post it - interest concept...

Found it!

Here is the link: [986forum.com]

Regards, Maurice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login