Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
For the air-cooled fans
Laz - Tuesday, 28 December, 2010, at 7:49:30 pm
Click on the image to see a classic engine in motion.

[www.darrylsgarage.com]
And without chemical liquid coolants, it would be a step in the "green" direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 10:15AM by Laz. (view changes)
The main problem is it is virtually impossible to cram 4 valves into a cylinder and get enough cooling with only air. I t might work on a radial engine, but it would be awful big.
true and not true......

the death of the air cooled engine for racing was cooling.......
burn't valves or burn't pistons with marginal cooling.

the death of the air cooled engine for street use is... NOISE. (german noise regs)
(and the epa.... easier to get better mileage with water cooled.

it certainly would be cool... if they would just redo those bore centers on the cranks....
and make a air cooled engine again.... (larger bore centers = more fins for cooling)

I really don't like changing antifreeze.
their air cooled engines. The 4-valve heads experienced too much extreme heat and the valves & guides couldn't tolerate that. 4-valve engines were necessary for modern engines to breathe sufficiently to satisfy emission requirements. Also, the greater heat ranges of air cooled engines make engine management much more challenging, again especially in regards to controlling emissions.

All of this and probably more in addition to the noise issues.

For what it's worth here, Harley-Davidson is experiencing the same challenges with their Twin Cam and Evolution lines of 2-valve, air cooled engines. Their newest model, the VRSC or V-Rod bike, employs a water-cooled, 4-valve engine developed at Weissach by Porsche. For Harley as well as for Porsche, water cooling is the way of the future (along with all of the unintended consequences that will be inevitable). I hope H-D can learn from Porsche's expeniences . . .

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2010 02:35PM by John Brown of Northern Virginia. (view changes)
Oops, I spelled "racecar" backwards.
an Audi engine. The water cooled 924 Turbo raced successfully in its maiden Le Mans outing, so I'll go w/the 924 Turbo (but wait, you're looking for only water cooled heads & the 924 Turbo won't qualify for that). Now the 959 had water cooled heads on basically an old style air cooled 911 engine and a form of the 959 competed in the Paris-Dakar cross country race, but that was after the 924 I believe.

Was there something that preceded these cars?

Wait a while before responding as others may want to hazard their guesses, okay?

JB/SE SoDak
1997 986 - Wolfi
Yankton, SD

"Wisdom is the most perfect knowledge of the most important truths in the right order of emphasis, accompanied by a total, permanent disposition to live accordingly.

-- Br. Francis Maluf, M.I.C.M.

"(School is to be a factory) in which raw products, children, are to be shaped and formed into finished products . . .(m)anufactured like nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from government and industry."

-- Elwood P. Cubberley, Dean of School of Education, Stanford University, 1905

"The creatures that want to live a life of their own, we call wild. If wild, then no matter how harmless, we treat them as outlaws, and those of us who are 'specially well brought up shoot them for fun."

-- Clarence Day, This Simian World

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2010 03:45PM by John Brown of Northern Virginia. (view changes)
And the answer is...............
JFP in PA - Thursday, 30 December, 2010, at 4:06:31 pm
The 935/78 "Moby Dick":

The powerplant, a twin turbocharged boxer six engine, with an air cooled block and water cooled heads displaced 2.85 total litres, about half a litre less than a contemporary 911 engine. The motor had originally been developed for the "Moby Dick" race car, then was redeveloped slightly for the short-lived Porsche Indy Car and several other projects before being "tweaked" a last time for use in the 961, the 959's racing counterpart.

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2010 04:10PM by JFP in PA. (view changes)
But with water cooling
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 30 December, 2010, at 8:47:03 am
you get a heater and defroster that actually works and isn't a variation of the same exhaust manifold mounted tube that was used on the Model A (as an option!)
Re: But with water cooling
Laz - Thursday, 30 December, 2010, at 8:57:27 am
I used to wonder about my 912's heater boxes wrapped around the exhaust manifolds. I never had a monoxide issue, but once after driving through a deep puddle, steam started shooting out of all the vents, including the backlight's. (Hey, we're talking about a '66 here.) It was like the classic secret agent-being-knocked out scenario.
So about water cooling
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 30 December, 2010, at 1:48:00 pm
darn interesting article as to the complexities that the engineers are dealing with. And on the things manufacturers do to save money that turn out to have unexpected consequences.

http://www.hartech.org/docs/buyers%20guide%20web%20format%20Dec%202010%20part%205.pdf

They strongly suggest a low temp thermostat on any 3.4 or larger engine.
[www.hartech.org] works but if it gets corrupted by the s/w here on the forum, all I did to get it to work was paste it into my browser and delete a few characters after buyers.

All it does is show pictures and explain a whole new set of problems the brit equivalent of Jake and Charles are seeing in 997s and 987s. Cyl 6, scoring....you'll see when you read the 28 pages!!!
Re: For the air-cooled fans
Alcantera - Wednesday, 29 December, 2010, at 9:00:28 am
thats Really cool the finger smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login