Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Audi Q5 or GLK 350 for a baby hauler - NBC
CK in Chatham NJ - Monday, 3 September, 2012, at 9:34:52 pm
Hey guys it's been a long time since I posted, but I continue to lurk on the site. I still have my lapis blue 2002 2.7l boxster and she's going strong with 47k miles. I plan to do some maintenance on her this year as she is beginning to show her age.

I'm writing because I wanted to see what you guys thought of the above two cars? I test drove both today and love the glk 350, it is fast and the transmission via the paddle shifters is genius. I had lots of fun driving it. It's a little on the small side at least slightly smaller than the q5 but easily carries two car seats and my wife's stroller (those are the requirements).

My wife test drove the q5 and we both love it's styling, but it just seems weak in the motor and transmission category. It was a nice car, but didn't seem fun to drive, its size was perfect. I don't need a car Right away as my lease doesn't expire for a few months, but am planning on ordering one of the two as I need an option not typically carried at the dealership. I need the rear seat TV for the kids.

Both cars are similarly priced but to get the q5 to the performance spec of the glk we'll have to order the pricier supercharged edition. What do you guys think? Which would you choose?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 09:50PM by CK in Chatham NJ. (view changes)
Why not a Porsche SUV? *NM*
Jeff (Philly) - Monday, 3 September, 2012, at 11:00:36 pm
Jeff Benson:

2016 Boxster, See it here: www.greatvalleyhouse.com/Boxster

First car: 1952 Hudson Hornet

First roadster: 1962 Austin Healy 3000 III

Still have: Computer free 1974 MGB

Previous Porsches since 1982: 924, 944, 944S, and four Boxsters; 97, 03, 08 & 2012
Re: Why not a Porsche SUV?
CK in Chatham NJ - Monday, 3 September, 2012, at 11:17:44 pm
Well at first they appeared too pricy. I could probably stretch for a stripped down base model. I'm going to check them out see if they can reduce the price a little. I wonder if they come with the paddles like the Glk.
talked to an owner of one who liked it for his family's needs. He said it was very nice to be able to lower the vehicle's height to make loading/unloading small children (one a newborn) and their cargo easier, less back breaking, especially for the wife.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I tested the Q7, decided on the X5 Diesel
IFlyLow - Tuesday, 4 September, 2012, at 7:41:46 am
My wife and I looked at Audi SUVs, but our biggest complaint was that the base model was pretty well stripped, and they really charged for options. My wife is driving (and I get to ride, if I'm lucky!) our second X5, this one a 2012 Diesel. We love it. Lots of torque, and all the bells and whistles were included.
My only complaint, with the 2007 and the 2012 is that the seats are too firm.
Re: picking up a Q7 TDI tomorrow.
Petee_C - Tuesday, 4 September, 2012, at 11:43:48 am
....we are picking up a CPO 2011 Q7 TDI tomorrow. I think it's the Premium model with a few options....namely a sunroof, 3rd row seating, towing package... It will be wife's vehicle. Can't wait. I am thinking we'll get better real world fuel mileage than our 2003 CRV (5 spd) that got totalled a few weeks ago (10L/100km). We looked at a Kia Sorrento (a bit small for what we want), and an Acura MDX (not great in gas mileage).

The one we are buying also has the rear camera, parking assist, and folding mirrors, so I am not sure if it is a deleted Premium Plus, or what... The insurance slip the agent just emailed shows it as a 'Premium Plus', anyways it's brown on brown. It will come with a removeable roof rack and a set of winter tires/wheels.

Our kids are 7 and 9, and my wife wants the extra seats, just in case we need to share rides for hockey or ringette.

Peter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2012 11:44AM by Petee_C. (view changes)
Re: Audi Q5 or GLK 350 for a baby hauler - NBC
CarreraLicious - Tuesday, 4 September, 2012, at 4:40:35 pm
Hi CK, good to see you on the board again! Not sure if it's not "high end" enough for you, but I got this Infiniti FX35 a few years ago to use as my daily and shopping hauler, and it's been great. Good power (the 3.5l from the 350z) and chassis is based off the Z car as well, so it's fun to drive. Best of all, it's Japanese car reliable and only costs me $39 for an oil change at the dealer (no need for indies). Try that with a Mercedes or Porsche SUV. winking smiley Oh, and the Infiniti dealer also always provides a loaner when I ask for it and never asks me to refill the gas in the loaner to the same point where they gave it to me.

If you are only choosing between the Q5 or GLK, I'd personally go Q5, as it looks a little more luxury style-wise than the GLK.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2012 04:59PM by boxtaboy. (view changes)
CK in Chatham NJ - Tuesday, 4 September, 2012, at 8:18:17 pm
I'm going to take a look at the fx35 this weekend and also test drive a touraeg and cayenne. I like the infiniti but havnt ever sat in one. If my children and their stuff fit in the glk it will be so hard to say no to it. It really was a fun car to drive. As much as I like the q5's looks the glk has 300hp paddle shift 7 speed transmission, while the q5 has 211 hp 4cyl turbo with a 6 speed transmission.

By the way I purchased some aero 2 skirts for my boxster. They were take offs from another car. I'm going to need to speak to you offline on how to install them as I remember you installed an aero kit 1. Send me an email at ckrikos@yahoo.com
CarreraLicious - Tuesday, 4 September, 2012, at 8:40:18 pm
Ah yes, I was thinking of the 3.2L engine in the Q5, not the 2.0t. Regardless, have fun with the SUV shopping. I'll email you separately, but basically, to install the OEM side skirts you'll need a side skirt hardware kit (a bunch of clips and screws that Sunset Porsche can source for you), and 3M double sided tape. Talk soon.
CK in Chatham NJ - Tuesday, 4 September, 2012, at 10:17:05 pm
The reason I'm comparing the 2l q5 is that the cost is the same to the glk when comparably optioned.
What about the BMW X3?
Jim 'n' SC - Tuesday, 11 September, 2012, at 6:33:32 am
The 2L turbo is 240 hp and is fast as the GLK plus has all wheel drive. As with all BMW's it is a blast to drive. I'm planning on ordering one for my wife soon. They also make it in my hometown...even better!
Re: What about the BMW X3?
CK in Chatham NJ - Tuesday, 11 September, 2012, at 8:27:51 pm
I considered that one but my mom owns one and my wife doesn't want to have the same car as her mother in law.
The 2.0T Q5 is only 0.5 sec slower to 60mph compared to the GLK,... (Audi's 7.0sec vs. MB's 6.5)... So, even with a deficit of 91hp, the Q5 is maybe only 1/4 of a car down in a stop light drag race with the GLK. The 2L turbo in the Q5 makes up for it with 258 ft-lbs of torque @ 1500rpm. If you really want to move faster... you have the option of getting the ECU tuned by APR (or one of the other tuners) and that will bump the 2.0T to 234hp & 333ft-lbs of torque. That will run you about $500.

BTW, if you're comparing 2013 models (GLK introduces the 302hp V6), the 2013 Q5 2.0T comes with standard with an 8 spd tiptronic. So, not sure why you have a 6spd auto in your test car.

Personally, I would love to see the Q5 TDI... but I'm not sure if that will ever reach our shores... So, the next best thing is the 2.0 turbo and get an ECU tune, There are plenty of reviews on youtube on these luxury cross-overs.

I've tossed in my 2 cents. Ultimately, you are the decider. smiling smiley Good luck with the car that you like most.
I recently test-drove a 2013 Q5 with the turbo 4 and the 8-speed trans, and found it hugely responsive and fast as heck. In fact, I'd be concerned with running it off the road due to all the power and the high center of gravity in an SUV. Don't have the slightest idea what I'd do with more power in an SUV unless I was towing some huge trailer, but then if I was towing a trailer, I doubt I'd even be looking at a Q5. If the 8-speed and turbo just isn't fast enough for you in the Q5, IMHO you should looking for another sports car, not an SUV.
The MB is the 2013 model and has 302hp. I think the car mags clocked its 0-60 at 5.9 seconds. It felt faster than my boxster. I don’t necessarily need it to be faster, but if I can get an suv that is faster why not get it. I wouldn’t modify the Q5 while under warranty, plus I want it to be reliable. At the end of the day this car will be used to haul my toddler and infant around, but I want it to also be fun to drive. I was thinking of buying a Murano and trading in my Boxster for a 2003 C4S, but really like my boxster so am just going the route of the MB or Q5. I am spending a little on the Boxster to update it a bit. Ill be putting a Kenwood Nav in it, getting 18" Carrera wheels, and getting the aerokit, in addition to tuning it up and possibly changing the intake and, plenum, and throttle body.

By the way I also drove a Cayenne V6 with the premium plus package and I loved the car. It wasnt as fast as the MB, but the transmission made up for it. Its unfortunately a tad bit more expensive than what I would like to spend, but its a great vehicle. I also saw the 981, and all I can say is that Porsche did a great job with it. I didnt really like the 987 as I didnt think it was much of an improvement, but feel the 981 is a significant upgrade from the earlier cars. The only thing I didnt really like is the trend towards 19-20" wheels. Ill take 17/18" wheels, but maybe Im old school.
So I bought a 2012 Touareg v6Lux. I'm trying to get a white car with brown interior. I decided I needed the space over the speed.
CK in Chatham NJ
So I bought a 2012 Touareg v6Lux. I'm trying to get a white car with brown interior. I decided I needed the space over the speed.

CK your just like my real estate clients I work with. They tell you what they are looking for and I show them exactly that and they go and buy something that is the total opposite of what they said they wanted. ha ha.
I like the Touareg a lot and with brown interior I think is fantastic plus you can add any Cayenne wheel so a set of "22 TechArt would look fantastic IMO smiling smiley

Q5 here after much debating between the X3 and GLK as well we finally decided on the Q smiling smiley

Ibis Sline exterior

Cinnamon interior but we had to go to the GmbH options to obtain the Sport Seats and Wood

For us the GLK was ruled out almost immediately because of design and understated interior plus a dragging engine specially up here in Puebla well 2400 meters above sea level, yet the X3 proved hella fast specially in 35i guise

despite beyond excellent engine, drivetrain and handling to match, interior quality and poor exterior fitting we decided to ditch the X3.

So far so good...

Q5 shopping

Q5 at Audi North Houston

Q5 loaner from Audi North Houston

Q5's are dime a dozen :/

Audi Parking

more Audi Parking

4th of July

at the lake

32k kms in a year and continues strong
I will be in the market for a SUV in the near future - the SQ5-TDI looks pretty good - if we get it. [www.caranddriver.com]
I almost bought a fully loaded 2012 3.2 with sline package, but it was just too tight for my needs and a bit pricey. It fit the kids and all my baby gear, but it was tight. I also drove the 2.0t and it was faster than I thought it would be, but nothing like the glk. I'm just a big 2013 glk fan. I wouldn't buy the previous year versions but the 13 had substantial improvements and i just loved the 300hp and paddle shift 8sp transmission. On top of that Mercedes is giving them away where as Audi is not discounting as much. My 2012 touareg lux was also heavily discounted. I got about 8k off msrp. Unfortunately the dealer that had my car sold it so I'm getting a silver touareg with black leather interior. I'm bummed about the color, but also like the black interior.
Frissen - Thursday, 27 September, 2012, at 12:22:23 pm
Q3 loaner from Audi Angelopolis down here in Puebla, Mexico smiling smiley

From Audi Angelopolis we got an A6 3.0T for the first service and now the Q3 smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login