Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Boxstoberfest and CURVN8R smileys with beer
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 11 September, 2012, at 9:15:43 pm
Dianne and I just returned from Boxstoberfest and recommend to anyone who has not been. Michael (Houston) did a great job - the cars were great, the roads were mucho fun and the fellowship in the Officers Club was most enjoyable (BTW - Mike, they need to add an NCO club for us poor enlisted slobs!)

It is quite a haul from Glenville, NC to Fredericksburg, TX I think about 1420 miles with the slightly roundabout route we took through Galveston to visit the grand kids. Anyway, this served to get CURVN8R through its "break-in". the trip out was a good chance to try out the car as a "tourer" and it did very well. Just put all the settings at "normal" and cruise in 7th gear at 80 mph and 2300 rpm. After we arrived at the Hangar Hotel (a great venue themed on WW2 South Pacific air base.), Dianne and I took off to the hill country for a little pre-drive. It offers quite a variety of roads - some twisties and some very rural flat stretches with long sight lines and good roads where we could stretch it out a little. When you hit the sport plus button, turn on the PASM and PSE, the CURVN8R went from docile kitten to a roaring lion. The suspension tightened up and the sound from the PSE at 7000+ rpm was glorious. Dianne did pretty well - although she did complain a little when the speedo got well into triple figures. After the drive, we returned to the Officers Club to meet a few of our new friends. I, naturally, fond the cigar area right outside the Officers Club!

The next morning all the 120+ Porsches were lined up on the runway. A very impressive sight. The CURVN8R, along with another 981, a 356C and a beautiful Spyder reproduction, were given the place of honor. After the show, we took to the roads again - after being warned to "observe the speed limit" - signs as we passed by them. We did observe a lot of signs! grinning smiley Never saw the local constabulary - although I understand a few other participants did have that pleasure. Our group leader assured us we would go "fast". He told the truth - although due to a wrong turn, three of us got separated from the main group after lunch. No problem - the three of us - my 981, a 987 and a GT-3 had a great drive back to the Hotel.

Saturday night was the big party inside the Quonset Huts - a very festive evening - and more new friends.

Dianne and I stuck around Sunday after everyone else left and checked out a local winery and Luckenback, TX - a very interesting place dedicated to music and beer drinking - although not necessarily in that order.

I just arrived in Atlanta and after owning the CURVN8R for a little over 5 weeks, I have put almost 4,000 miles on it - and every one has been a blast!

Here are a few pics:

[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
[i1197.photobucket.com]
Re: Boxstoberfest and CURVN8R smileys with beer
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 11 September, 2012, at 11:02:41 pm
Thanks for posting, Mike. Sounds like you really had a chance to stretch CURVN8R's legs. Triple digits - guess you must have had the speedo set in KPH, with you observing speed limit signs and all. winking smiley
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 11 September, 2012, at 11:04:27 pm
We observed the signs - if not the limits!

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Bob O - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 9:39:15 am
Thanks for posting. I love your car smiling smiley Wish I could have met you and seen it in person. It sounds like Mike and crew did their usual great job in setting up everything.

Triple digits? Hmmmm better not tell a certain event organizer about that! lol. Last year I somehow, accidentally, completely unintentionally did the same thing while leading a group! Fortunately I had slowed down before going over a hill....bad thing was...the local constabulary happened to be on the other side of that hill. darn. He ended up being a nice guy and dropped the charge to only 20 over...whew. No jail time!

What did you think of the Twin Sisters? (calm down people...it's a couple of really really nice "mountains" with incredible twisties. Better to drive them before lunch than after LOL)

It sounds like you and everyone else had a great time. Hopefully we'll see you there next year. I know I"LL be there!

Bob
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 10:28:11 am
Actually, its the "Twisted Sisters"! It was a lot of fun - just not long enough! LOL
Bob O - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 10:58:31 am
How short the memory is lol.
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 2:15:39 pm
Nice pictures, Mike thumbs up Maybe you can loan your camera to Laz smiling smiley

BTW, How did Dianne like driving the PDK you had to get for her?

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 3:33:01 pm
Gary in SoFL

BTW, How did Dianne like driving the PDK you had to get for her?

You know how Mike drives. Who do you think put the CURVN8R into the triple digits? winking smiley
grinning smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 3:36:29 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 11:43:41 pm
I'm getting closer - she has agreed to give it a try! Hope she doesn't like it too much!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2012 11:45PM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 19 September, 2012, at 3:22:53 pm
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
I'm getting closer - she has agreed to give it a try! Hope she doesn't like it too much!

With your incessant whining at her, it's for sure she won't be happy!

What the view outside the Airport Hotel should look like, a week after you left:

SteveB - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 5:16:09 pm
Bob O
Triple digits? Hmmmm better not tell a certain event organizer about that! lol.
Bob

Hey, when it isn't my rear end on the line, you guys can do whatever you want cool smiley
NorminHouston - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 6:52:29 pm
Mike, it was a real pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife, Dianne. Hope you had a great time and it appears that you did. Hope to see you all next year.

Norm
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 12 September, 2012, at 11:46:45 pm
NorminHouston
Mike, it was a real pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife, Dianne. Hope you had a great time and it appears that you did. Hope to see you all next year.

Norm

Same here, Norm! See you next year - unless you make it to BRBS!

Cheers,

mike
Mark from SC - Saturday, 22 September, 2012, at 2:37:29 pm
Good seeing the CURVN8R at C&C this morning. Beautiful Car! Makes me start thinking about doing an 'upgrade' myself. Glad you brought it out to Greenville though!

Mark
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 22 September, 2012, at 2:45:00 pm
Good to see you, Mark! Nice M5 too! When you get it put back together, I want ot see the Boxster.
mike
Mark from SC - Monday, 24 September, 2012, at 8:00:38 am
Definitely - should have the parts back this week, so will be putting it back together. Will definitely get it back out. If you've been at BRBS in recent years, which I believe you have, you've probably seen it. It is the 'all black' lowered one...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login