Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Fixed contest?
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 9:32:30 pm
Here is a comparison of the 911 and the Boxster.[money.cnn.com]

Pretty unfair, though - they ran a 911s against a base boxster - making the difference in hp pretty noceable. I would like to see a comparison of a Boxster S and base 911 Cab - apples to apples!

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Fixed contest?
MikenOH - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 9:49:23 pm
Comparing the Base Boxster to a Carrera S cab is not fair in the least; 265Hp vs. 400; 206 ft lb or TQ vs. 325.
Price tag of $72K vs. $140K+.
A 981 S with options would have been a much fairer comparison but I'm not sure Porsche would necessarily want to tee that one up.
What does "not fair" even mean?
Boxsterra - Saturday, 29 September, 2012, at 1:23:43 am
They compared price, performance, fun-to-drive factor, etc.

The Boxster won on some, the 911 on others. It seems totally fair to me except possibly that they are comparing one generation of 911 with a later generation Boxster.
Re: What does "not fair" even mean?
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 29 September, 2012, at 9:09:21 am
Boxsterra
They compared price, performance, fun-to-drive factor, etc.

The Boxster won on some, the 911 on others. It seems totally fair to me except possibly that they are comparing one generation of 911 with a later generation Boxster.

It was the same generation - 991 and 981.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: What does "not fair" even mean?
Gary in SoFL - Saturday, 29 September, 2012, at 9:17:09 am
Yes, but....

Nothing unfair about it. One writer's opinion with decent explanations.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Capt Ron - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 9:51:13 pm
A Carerra S cab is $140K? Jeebus.
Just ignorant reviewer
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 27 September, 2012, at 8:27:30 am
Can't handle a stick shift on hills by his confession. I was particularly struck by his judgement on the relative utility of the two considering the Boxster's rear trunk versus the 911s worthless rear seats. They did bring a kitchen knife to a sword fight when they choose the cars. But they are dependent on the manufacturer making a car available.

Both great cars...and both can get expensive..my ideal Boxster is $96k.
I see it as two road tests
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 27 September, 2012, at 9:31:21 am
If you're going to do a comparison test, you'd have to drive the two cars under similar conditions. Alex even admits that the more fun part of the drive was done in the 991. I wonder how he would have rated the cars if he'd driven the Boxster on the first leg of the drive.

Interesting that the 991 front trunk is much bigger than the one in the Boxster. I wonder how he determined that. confused smiley
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 27 September, 2012, at 1:27:33 pm
Fixed for sure.....991 S with a MANual vs. a 2.7L Boxster with a girly transmission. I can actually see a PDK in a 991 more easily than one in a sportier 981S. He wasn't comparing the acceleration of the two cars, rather it was his evaluation of the "fun" factor. 991 wins, hands down.

Heck, we've got one guy around here who has an $89K PDK 981S with PDK, plus another four or five grand for his 9500ci radar, his 3M protection, his probable glass tinting, and his possible wheel painting. I'm surprised he didn't order the car in pink!

For about the same out of pocket, I can buy a MANual 3.4L 991 coupe, configured almost the same, have lots more fun, AND beat him on the track. Of course, my wife won't be able to drive it. grinning smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Mark from SC - Thursday, 27 September, 2012, at 1:40:00 pm
Gary in SoFL
Of course, my wife won't be able to drive it. grinning smiley

That's the key!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 01:40PM by Mark from SC. (view changes)
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Sunday, 30 September, 2012, at 8:18:18 pm
Gary in SoFL

For about the same out of pocket, I can buy a MANual 3.4L 991 coupe, configured almost the same, have lots more fun, AND beat him on the track. Of course, my wife won't be able to drive it. grinning smiley

Good luck on lowering the top on that coupe! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2012 08:18PM by Lawdevil & CURVN8R. (view changes)
Easy as pie ......er
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 30 September, 2012, at 9:12:40 pm
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
Good luck on lowering the top on that coupe! grinning smiley

Gary in SoFL - Monday, 1 October, 2012, at 11:19:46 am
As often as Dianne allows you to put the top down, you may as well have a Cayman tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login