Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
how to mount front license plate on a 987
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 7:33:33 pm
Has anyone ever installed the factory front license plate mount on a 987? The police in my small town are worried that they won't recognize me if I'm headed toward them spinning smiley sticking its tongue out.

I bought the plate holder from pelican, and all that came was a curved plastic thing which would become the backing of the plate. It looks like it will fit the contour of the front bumper, but there is nothing to soften the place where the plastic plate backing meets the painted bumper.

Also, there are two nearly invisible dimples in the front bumper where I suppose I need to feed screws. Anyone know how that works? Drill into the dimples? Wood screws into the dimples?
Get this one which goes into tow hook.....
Harvey in FL - Saturday, 6 October, 2012, at 10:10:25 pm
There are several different ones available but I believe this one is the best. I have one which I used in MD; but, now I'm in FL which does not require a front plate. I'm willing to sell it for $50 + shipping. You would need to call the company to find out if the one I have from a 997.1 is okay with your car.

[www.moweraxle.com]
Thanks Harvey, but I find those odd
Steve (Morro Bay) - Sunday, 7 October, 2012, at 2:04:02 am
Granted, putting holes in those nice curves is hardly fun, but I have a thing for symmetry, and I don't think I could stand seeing the plate off to the side. Even if I change my mind, there's a machine shop at work that I've been meaning to learn how to use. Making my own bracket would be a good project for that.

Maybe I'll call the Pelican guys to ask how this is supposed to go on. Could be that there are other parts that go with it.
Re: how to mount front license plate on a 987
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 7 October, 2012, at 12:45:00 am
Check on the Rennlist site. I believe someone is selling a front bracket that is adjustable and removable.

Or, try reminding your local police that there is a front plate exemption for hi-end cars. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
WAIT! Before you do that.....
Eric (Plug Guy) - Sunday, 7 October, 2012, at 8:40:16 am
Before you mount/drill, email me an image of the underside near your front bumper/lip.

We've been working on something that may be ready to release soon, and would help everyone (other than aerokit cars) accomplish this without any holes or messing with the tow plug.

eric@bumperplugs.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2012 08:40AM by Eric (Plug Guy). (view changes)
gedwin - Wednesday, 10 October, 2012, at 9:42:18 am
I went with this, but ordered an optional swivel that allows the plate to hug the bumper better. I couldn't be happier with it. Rock solid, and it spins off quickly for cleaning. Very well made.

[www.usmillworks.com]
gedwin - Thursday, 11 October, 2012, at 10:05:53 am
Here is a link to pics.

[skydrive.live.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login