Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Got a really old Boxster?
tom coughlin - Thursday, 11 October, 2012, at 10:03:14 am
A friend was mentioned that he is interested in buying an early Boxster. Why, I don't know-maybe because the prices are getting to the point where his wife will let him buy one.
I told him to get the new, improved, faster, sexier etc. but as usual he seldom listens to me.

Didn't the very early ones have some sort of production number tag on the dash (I saw something about that on Wikipedia). Thanks,
Re: Got a really old Boxster?
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 11 October, 2012, at 10:17:18 am
tom coughlin
A friend was mentioned that he is interested in buying an early Boxster. Why, I don't know-maybe because the prices are getting to the point where his wife will let him buy one.
I told him to get the new, improved, faster, sexier etc. but as usual he seldom listens to me.

Didn't the very early ones have some sort of production number tag on the dash (I saw something about that on Wikipedia). Thanks,

Not sure to what they're referring when it comes to the production number, unless maybe the VIN which is at the front (by the windshield, driver's side) of the dash. You can get the production place and time from that.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: Got a really old Boxster?
db997S - Thursday, 11 October, 2012, at 12:21:05 pm
Not at my car, but think the born on date (to seal a phrase from Bud Light) is also on the sticker on the driver's side door jam. If he's looking for early Boxsters due to price, doubt he'd go for one of the "new, improved, faster, sexier" 981s. Huge difference in bottom lines. Sorry, but if it is either listening to a friend or my wife's wishes, guess what, it'll be the wife's POV taken all the time (that's why my 02S was Speed Yellow and the current ride is Aqua Blue, er I mean Cub Blue according to the misses). You gotta live 24/7 with the wife and there's a lot more invested in a marriage than a friendship. Friends don't take half your stuff if you stop being friends and will probably give you the couch for only a couple of nights while in transition.
Itrs really hard to jusitfy
grant - Monday, 15 October, 2012, at 8:17:51 pm
The difference between them if you are any kind of budget. If not - go for it! The old cars are just so darn good - and vastly exceed anything we can use day to day on public roads. Even the usual arguments for new cars - reliability; safety ring hollow for me. These things have airbags; are super stiff in passenger protection, etc. Look at the number of cars with 200k around here - and still running strong.

I maintain the major failure points can be anticipated and (mostly) eliminated/pre-empted. Others disagree, but the evidence mounts.

On track where the difference is very significant, i maintain the better driver still wins 90% of the time. I'd rather spend my money on track trips. And as the bumper ticker from one race school says "with instruction and practice, soon I'll suck less" :-)

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login