Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Clutch+IMS + ??
boxster99 - Monday, 29 October, 2012, at 10:49:10 am
HI folks,

My 99 box is now at 35K miles and I think I need a new clutch next year. it is kind of hard to ship from first to second gear and I can feel it is slipping. I am also thinking doing the IMS at the same time with the LE engineering. Everything original even the brake :-). Only thing I changed so far were the new tires, spark plug and annual oil change.

Anything else you can suggest that I should do while the tranny is out? I live in Framing ham MASS. Can you recommend a good indie for the job? And finally, how much should I am prepare to pay for?

Thank a lots,
Tony
At 35K miles the car likely needs nothing else...
MarcW - Monday, 29 October, 2012, at 11:32:31 am
boxster99
HI folks,

My 99 box is now at 35K miles and I think I need a new clutch next year. it is kind of hard to ship from first to second gear and I can feel it is slipping. I am also thinking doing the IMS at the same time with the LE engineering. Everything original even the brake :-). Only thing I changed so far were the new tires, spark plug and annual oil change.

Anything else you can suggest that I should do while the tranny is out? I live in Framing ham MASS. Can you recommend a good indie for the job? And finally, how much should I am prepare to pay for?

Thank a lots,
Tony

so all I would recommend is a thorough inspection looking for anything that obviously needed attention.

Leaks from the plug tubes, camshaft covers, water pump. Check the CV boots for any cracks/tears.

Radiator ducts clean?

There's a weak argument for doing the AOS. The part cost is low but I do not know how much labor is involved. I note my car's 1st AOS lasted to 80K miles so at 35K you could have another 35K miles (and 13 years) more to go before this needs doing.

Original brakes is ok -- 35K miles is not that many miles for these brakes -- but I hope the brake fluid is not original, that is I hope you have had this flushed and bled every 2 years? If not I'd definitely have this done, which also means the clutch hydraulic system needs this too. If you haven't had it done this might account for the difficulty in shifting though probably not the slipping.

Oh, change the serpentine belt. 35K miles is not that many miles but there is the time factor and even though I do not recall a belt change due on time alone I would replace the belt regardless.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
RMS seal $20 part and near zero labor once the IMS is visible
grant - Monday, 29 October, 2012, at 2:01:27 pm
A sachs clutch kit (PP, throw out, disc) should be $700 ish. Labor maybe 7+ hours. IMS LN $700ish. Labor another 2 hours.

RMS free, but no biggie either way. At worst its juts a little leak.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I would definitely do the throwout bearing
Boxsterra - Monday, 29 October, 2012, at 5:07:23 pm
They do wear and make the clutch harder to press and they squeak. Labor to replace is also next-to-nothing once the transmission is off.
Re: I would definitely do the throwout bearing
boxster99 - Monday, 29 October, 2012, at 8:53:39 pm
Again, thank you very much for all your inputs!

Another question is: should I wait until next spring after the hibernation? OR do it now while the shop is not that busy.
I am about to put my baby in for a long nap. I am thinking bring it to European Performance Engineering (specialize in Porsche) in Natick, MA
Any recommendation?

Thanks,
Tony
Yup: any doubt, throw out the throwout. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 30 October, 2012, at 11:00:45 am
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Better to do when the shop isn't busy
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 30 October, 2012, at 12:19:51 pm
if for no other reason than because it's considerate to them. I'm also a fan of getting TODO items out of the way ASAP but that's just a personal preference.

I've heard good things about European Performance Engineering and they seemed quite competent and friendly the one time I spoke to them on the phone.
Re: Better to do when the shop isn't busy
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 30 October, 2012, at 1:24:04 pm
Boxsterra
if for no other reason than because it's considerate to them. I'm also a fan of getting TODO items out of the way ASAP but that's just a personal preference.

I've heard good things about European Performance Engineering and they seemed quite competent and friendly the one time I spoke to them on the phone.

Good points, but having the warranty/guarantee run out as the car sits isn't ideal.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Grant

Framingham shop
tom coughlin - Tuesday, 30 October, 2012, at 9:57:52 pm
You may want to talk to Rene at Rennsport (http://www.rensport.com/porsche/index.html).
The shop has been a P-car indy since the last ice age and Rene has been there almost as long. It's near the old GM plant and that place where ladies who have been caught selling cocaine (etc.) live.
Re: Clutch+IMS + ??
Eric in Dallas - Wednesday, 31 October, 2012, at 9:38:24 pm
Clutch should be fine at 35K. Have you changed the brake fluid and bled the clutch slave cylinder? A screwed up slave cylinder could give similar symptoms.
Not sure I agree with that
Boxsterra - Thursday, 1 November, 2012, at 5:26:37 pm
The clutch will wear by 35K if you rest your foot on the clutch pedal while you drive.

I don't know how slave cylinder problems could cause the clutch to slip. Oil leaking onto the flywheel, maybe.
Partial disengagement? *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 1 November, 2012, at 5:48:51 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: Clutch+IMS + ??
boxsterd - Tuesday, 6 November, 2012, at 3:17:58 pm
I would strongly recommend replacing the IMS with the one from LE Engineering. You'll have the transmission out so most of the labor is already done. I did it when I got a new clutch for my '01. My dealer stocks them. You're dealer might already have it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 03:18PM by boxsterd. (view changes)
The one from LN engineering's pretty good too *NM*
grant - Tuesday, 13 November, 2012, at 8:58:38 pm
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login