Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Convertible Top Opening/Closing Issues
Mark from SC - Friday, 23 November, 2012, at 10:46:13 am
I know I've heard about others having this particular issue, and so I thought I would check here, to see if anybody had some suggestions on how to proceed. Basically, I went to close my top this morning (it had been left open, in the garage, for a few days), and I noticed things weren't right, as I tried to close it. I then tried to open it back slightly, and am currently in this particular position:

At this point, I didn't want to warp the cover, but not sure how to proceed. I'm not able to open or close the top at this point. So a couple of questions:

1. Does anybody know of a 'manual' way to open/close the top?
2. Any ideas what may be the issue? I 'hear' a motor running, but are there 'separate' motors, and maybe one is working, and one isn't?

Thanks everybody for any help you can give.

Mark
Re: Convertible Top Opening/Closing Issues
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 23 November, 2012, at 11:07:20 am
There's only one motor to drive the top but there are two individual transmissions driven by cables..
To open the top manually you'll need to undo the two ball joints that connect to the tops mechanism and to the clamshell.
You'll need a hefty flat screwdriver to pry the ball joints off their sockets.
Each side has two joints. One for the top and one for the clamshell.
Once the joints are disconnected manually open the clamshell, then you can move the top.
Because the top is lopsided I'm guessing that one of the transmission cables is either broken or its shroud has elongated and the inner square cable isn't connecting properly.
The cables are an easy and affordable replacement.
Before you assemble everything make sure that both transmissions are aligned (m irror images of each other) in the way they are positioned.
To move one individually just disconnect the cable to the side you do not want to move.

Our resident TOP EXPERT is Maurice. Maybe he can chime in.

Good luck.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Alcantera - Saturday, 24 November, 2012, at 10:16:28 am
I am willing to bet that the red ball joint has broken or become disconnected. We sell a ton of them. Removing the clamp shell is easy remove the three nuts on each side and you can get access to everything . Try slowly raising the top, when the top is back 6 inches from the windshield the clamp shell should be up and easy to take off.. The red ball joint attaches to the top about a foot behind the drivers left shoulder and down about 8" . When you raise the top use two people to make sure you don't torque the top.
Don't try to close the top
Boxsterra - Saturday, 24 November, 2012, at 2:53:37 pm
If the left-side ball joint has broken, attempting to close the top the remaining way will tweak the clamshell.
MauriceonLongIsland - Saturday, 24 November, 2012, at 11:46:24 pm
Pedro is correct regarding the probable cause...It looks like the cable leading to the driver's side transmission has either broken or become frayed inside the black vinyl sheath that covers it.

From your photos, it looks like yours is a 2003 or 2004 Boxster, unless you have done the OEM glass-windowed top upgrade to an earlier Boxster. As such, you have the B version transmissions, so it's not one of the faults that occurs from the A Version's half moon gear inside the early style transmissions.

It can be very difficult to release the rear pushrods while they are under pressure, which is the case when the clamshell is completely closed. If you can't lever them off with a heft screwdriver, you will have to either rotate the V-levers by spinning the cables with a cordless drill. If, as I suspect, the driver's side cable is faulty, you will have to unbolt each 19mm bolt that secures the V-lever onto its respective transmission. That will release the tension from all four pushrods and you can then open the top manually so that you can access the cables and determine the cause of the problem.

Take a look at this DIY on Mike Focke's website for the initial procedure on how to lower your top if it's stuck in the closed position, here: [sites.google.com]

If the cables don't spin the V-levers, remove the V-levers by using a 19mm socket on the bolt in the center of each V-lever. It takes a bit of force here because the bolts have loctite on them from the factory, but they will come off if you apply enough pressure.

Once you have the top open, you can examine the cables by pulling out the inner speedometer-type cable from inside each one.

Regards, Maurice.
Mark from SC - Monday, 26 November, 2012, at 7:37:11 pm
Wow - thanks guys for the detailed information. I'm going to look at this when I get back into town and see if I can figure out what is going on. Once it happened, I just stopped, and left everything, as I was leaving town soon. As always, some very valuable and detailed information.

I'll update when I have more details.

Mark
Mark from SC - Saturday, 9 March, 2013, at 8:37:15 am
Well, with the warm weather just around the corner, I finally got around to fixing this. Based on the recommendations, I purchased some new drive cables, and went to work. As suspected, the Driver Side cable was broken (sheered off the 'connection' - it was still stuck in the motor area). So, it was just 'spinning', without doing anything. Really wasn't too bad a job to replace it all. With all the tips, I was able to re-align, no problem. Works like a champ! Thanks everybody for the help. While I was at it, I fixed my issues with the actual Top (Canvas part) pulling free from the back. John From SC did a write-up a while back on the previous PPBB board, which I used to help with that was well - good as new now!

So, anyway, just wanted to thank everybody for the help! Next project is the Short Shifter as well as an underdrive pulley install. But for today, with it close to 70, I'm going to drop the top, and head up for a mountain drive!

Mark
MauriceonLongIsland - Saturday, 9 March, 2013, at 9:55:54 am
smileys with beer

Regards, Maurice.
chrismmm - Sunday, 10 March, 2013, at 1:31:18 pm
Mark,

Glad this worked out for you and happy boxstering in the hills!

chrismmm: 2007-987 . jet black . north georgia
PCA PST member
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login