Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
battery killed by excessive charging voltage?
Mike Tarter - Sunday, 16 December, 2012, at 1:43:29 pm
Hello all,
My 02 Boxster declined to crank up the other day (was driven to a social event). Got home with a jump start, so I figured the alternator was working, just the battery dying. Did diagnosis at home - battery was replaced on June 2010 and was a bit down on electrolyte, but not seriously. Checked idle charging voltage at the battery - it is 14.5 volts. Hmm, I was expecting more like 13.6 to 13.8. Could I have an alternator that is snuffing the battery? Come to think of it - when radio is on AM, and signal is weak, I hear a RPM dependent squeal from the radio. I'm thinking maybe a bad regulator? Advice from this erudite community invited...
Cheers!
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
14.5 is about normal on my 2013. I would think that would be consistent for a 986 or a 987 since the batteries are pretty much the same.
1. Over-voltage *can* kill a battery
2. Typical regulated charging voltage in a boxster is about 13.7V
3. However, in my Audi its always 14V+
4. Since batteries are used across multiple vehicles, they must sustain the highest, not the voltage of your particular make and model. Furthermore, the addition 0.8V is only 0.13V per cell - pretty minor stuff in the world of salt and lead and acid.

Soooooo i don't think that was the case, but i could be wrong.

Let us all know what you find out,

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login