Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
HVAC controls and cup holder cover 2005 987
fossilfuel - Sunday, 2 January, 2011, at 11:37:34 pm
I am a long time PPBB lurker and occasional poster (back in the day). I want to add my thanks to the long list appreciating Pedro for taking this on.

Forgive me if this topic has been covered before....i searched but no luck.

I have a couple of questions regarding 2005 987 Climate Control dash modules.

My temp and fan controls are suffering the common soft touch paint peeling. I am 2nd owner and my car is out of warranty, so no coverage from the dealer.

While trying to research options, a couple questions came to mind:

1) my car does NOT have automatic climate control---I don't have the "Auto" button, just an A/C button for manual operation. I have seen some used HVAC modules on e-bay WITH the Auto button, so the question is, can i put one of these in my car and get upgraded to full AUTO climate control?

2) Porsche has upgraded the dash center stack in the updated 987.....will the climate control module fit in an 05 car (i know the new ones are black and the 05 standard is silver, but other than the color, will it fit?

3) anyone else figure out how to fix the peeling Temp and Fan buttons without painting in place?

4) speaking of the dash, the horizontal panel that hinges forward for the cup holders isn't well aligned with the rest of the horizontal dash trim when closed....the gap is too wide. IS htis adjustable or is there a fix to tweak this?

Thanks a ton!!!!!

-fossil
Re: HVAC controls and cup holder cover 2005 987
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 3 January, 2011, at 12:03:20 am
I can try to answer a couple of your questions.

#1 I'm not sure of the mechanical differences between auto and manual climate control, but it's got to be more than just the control module that is different. You would need sensors, controls and motors to automatically adjust the fan and temperature control with the auto unit. You don't need those with the manual control unit, so I don't see how you would be able to successfully interchange them.

#3 I had my fan and temp controls peel. I was told that the levers couldn't be exchanged by themselves. The dealer replaced the whole control unit under warranty for me. Without replacing the unit, I would think that plastic touch up paint would be the only way of covering the damage.

This is what mine looked like.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: HVAC controls and cup holder cover 2005 987
jacknyc - Monday, 3 January, 2011, at 2:04:07 pm
I understand that you are not asking about touch-up, but I nonetheless offer that spray "Plasti-Dip" worked great for me on my 2007.

Sprayed a little into a cup, then used a very fine brush to fill in all the white spots. It's truly invisible, even in direct sun.
Thanks for the tip on the dip
Roger987 - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 9:40:34 am
Seems that deterioration is inevitable (accelerated perhaps by sunscreen), and knowing that many of us won't have warranty coverage for replacement, your tip will come in very handy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login