Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Waterless Coolant
sdm100 - Saturday, 19 January, 2013, at 9:08:18 am
Ive been really good replacing my coolant in my 98 986 doing it every 5 years and was wondering on my next try if I should go with waterless coolant. looks impressive high boiling point and supposedly less corrosive. The price point is close to what one would pay for Porsche's coolant. Anyone have any experience or insight?
to some pardon the expression magic coolant elixir.

About all I do that goes against what Porsche has to say on the matter of coolant is I have the cooling system drained and refilled with fresh coolant every 4 to 6 years.

This waterless coolant is supposed to work without pressure. The Porsche cooling system is based upon having pressure present when the engine is hot. Pressure would still be present when the coolant got hot unless one is prepared to modify the cooling system to run sans pressure by installing I guess a vented cap? However, the fluid would still be hot so pressure escaping would carry out water vapor and over time require the system be topped up. As it is now I have driven years without any need to top up my car's cooling system fluid level. To me having to periodically do this would be a negative.

As an aside when it proved to be a cap leaking vapor the coolant tank level dropped from the max line to the point the warning light came on in less than a month's driving in mild temps. In hotter temps the amount of water vapor loss could possibly require adding water (distilled water I guess) to the car's cooling system on a weekly basis.

Also by observing the level is low -- by having the warning light come on (the system proved to be so consistently fluid tight I got out of the habit of even checking the fluid level) -- provided me with a clear signal there was a leak. With this system then one would not know if the low level was normal or due to a leak.

If one was tracking the car and needed to run something other than anti-freeze based coolant for safety reasons I guess it would be alright. What does it matter then really? Tracking a car is using the car in a way it was not intended to be used so running some strange coolant fluid in light of using the car on the track is probably not going to be the biggest issue arising from using the car on the track.
Re: Waterless Coolant
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 20 January, 2013, at 7:30:15 am
I haven't tried waterless coolant.
I went completely opposite by using Water Wetter.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login