Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Boxster winter testing video
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 3 January, 2011, at 11:42:42 pm
I don't recall seeing this posted before.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Boxster winter testing video
Roger987 - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 9:55:34 am
Thanks, Guenter. I've not seen it before.

A few observations:

1. the car looks as though it's a yet-to-be released model. Note that the mirrors have a much lower mounting point on the door;

2. despite speculation that there may be a metal folding roof in the offing, that roof shows distinct ribs - either very good camouflage or the Boxster is keeping its soft top;

3. the current curve at the top of the rear fenders might be flattened somewhat;

4. note that the driver claps his boots together to remove the snow before swinging his legs into the car - he's done this once or twice before; winking smiley

5. the driver appears to be tall - it's remarkable how easily the car (like the current model) accommodates tall drivers;

6. from all indications, wherever that video was shot, it's damned cold. Really, really cold.
db997S - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 10:27:33 am
I believe all updated 911 and Boxster models supposedly have the side mirrors mounted on the doors instead of the A-pillar, at least that's what I recall reading on potential updates to the cars. The Panamera has it's side mirrors mounted on the doors. Looks like a PITA to wax around, if you ask me. Prefer them mounted on the pillar. Another design element with the Panamera that I hope isn't incorporated elsewhere is that the hood crest is placed inside a stamped impression so it looks recessed, creating somewhat of a lip around the crest. Again, look like another PITA area to wax around.
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 11:44:11 am
Roger, I agree with most of your observations. I much prefer the look of the current door mirrors. The door mounted ones just look "ordinary, plain" The 987 mirrors look more like the belong on a Porsche.

I think (and hope) that the rear fender curves haven't been changed much. When you see the car coming around a corner, there appears to be heavy camouflaging tape (hopefully) covering some extra padding to change the lines.

At 4:30 mark, did you notice the driver take pictures of whoever was recording him as he was coming out of the test area?

And I agree with you. It does look cold. I tried to look up the name on the sign (looks like "kuorokveik" ) at one point, but came up with nothing. My guess it's somewhere in northern Sweden.

Yup. Boot clapping. A well known tradition around here if you don't want the inside of your car awash in brown salt brine.

I also noticed the roads were nice and clean. Looked only as if they'd been plowed, but no salt used. That's another indicator that it must be pretty darn cold. No point in using salt at temperatures below 0 F.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Probably was here...
Burg Boxster - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 12:23:04 pm
[www.arjeplogtestcenter.com]

There is a lake or smaller town near Arjeplog called Kuorrokveik... at least that's what I found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 12:29PM by Burg Boxster. (view changes)
Re: Probably was here...
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 12:51:28 pm
Thanks, Burg. Guess there must be a number of different spellings for that little place. Whatever the Swedish spelling, I believe the English translation is Freezinmybunsoff. grinning smiley

It does appear to be a cool place to test new cars.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
Dave In MD - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 10:13:55 am
at about 1:50, there is a shot of the back of the top. This looks like other 2012 model shots I've seen. You'll notice that the clam shell cover used in the current models is missing. Seems to be a soft top though.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
interesting gas cover.
Michael SYS Driver - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 12:03:53 pm
is this used so it is easier to fill up? It looks like you can just stick the pump in? I realize it is pre-production so maybe it is. I also noticed he did kinda pull out in front of the cayenne when he made a left, but hey it is not his car. haha. I also noticed there is no center radiator gap but it does have the twin tailpipes... hmmm I wonder what that means. Thanks for the link.
At first I though it was the left rear fog light, but it's yellow and outermost on either side, plus the corresponding front also goes on.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Also appears to be several different cars.....
jg wnc - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 1:17:57 pm
There are at least 3 different license plates on the Boxsters in the video.
jg atl
There are at least 3 different license plates on the Boxsters in the video.

I saw that too. That isn't surprising as often I've seen "spy" shots of 3 or 4 similar cars driving in a convoy. My guess is that they would be testing a number of different components on the various cars so they could obtain as much data as possible in the shortest period of time.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
986rgt - Tuesday, 4 January, 2011, at 9:12:54 pm
My guess on the top.... A f-360 like top with the two spears going back. Its definitely a soft top in the first scene when he gets in the car and shuts the door, you can see the top fluff up when it shuts. The clam shell line is barely visible above the 3rd brake light, also there seems to be a slight double bubble in some shots? hmmm cant wait to see.

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login