Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Deconstructing the 981 Boxster
Cris - Tuesday, 5 February, 2013, at 10:39:27 pm
From changing air filter, to spark plugs, to belts, and putting top in service position... pretty good video. After watching this... I'm not sure if 981 is more complicated to work on, as a DIY'er.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muTR2pWvCuQ[/video]
Very good video for getting some familiarity.
Laz - Wednesday, 6 February, 2013, at 7:54:26 am
It skips a couple of intermediate steps with a couple panels, and he might've left the air compressor cover ajar. A great starter video nonetheless!
981 volunteer needed. smiling smiley
Cover basic things like oil change, air filter change and.. valve job. winking smiley
Sounds like a good idea to me *NM*
Boxsterra - Saturday, 9 February, 2013, at 11:14:52 am
I'm ready to deconstruct! *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 9:24:12 am
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Deconstructing the 981 Boxster
Roger987 - Wednesday, 6 February, 2013, at 10:38:28 am
Thanks for posting.

The coolant bleeder valve is easily accessed in the 987, not so much in the 981. Otherwise, it's all pretty good.

I notice that, under the front trunk lid, there is one big panel covering the battery and a host of other stuff. In the 987, there are two compartments; the battery area is not protected from water infiltration (rain etc.,). Is this still the case with the 981?
Look for weather stripping...
Cris - Wednesday, 6 February, 2013, at 12:22:12 pm
from the video, the plastic cover should keeps water out (like the 987), but that compartment where batt, air-pre-filter/filter,etc does not appear to be water tight. Makes sense...you need air for the air filter. The weather strip around trunk keeps trunk water from getting into the trunk.
Post Falls Rob - Wednesday, 6 February, 2013, at 11:02:31 am
Nice find, thanks for posting
Honey I shrunk the luggage compartments (compared to a 986)?
jlegelis - Wednesday, 6 February, 2013, at 11:42:41 am
Wow - first time I've seen a 981 'opened up'. While I've seen discussions about golf bags not fitting, the 981 luggage capacity (both front and rear) seems *much* smaller, at least from the video, with all sorts of intrusions in to what used to be empty space. Just for curiosity, does anybody have luggage space specs for both models?
Oh no, G-Man just cancelled his order drinking smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Wednesday, 6 February, 2013, at 6:44:24 pm
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Alcantera - Friday, 8 February, 2013, at 8:14:36 am
Watching the part that talked about the Air Quality sensor,I wondered how well the air conditioner would work in Mexico City.eye rolling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login