Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Anybody here in Lexington, KY?
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Sunday, 10 February, 2013, at 6:17:13 pm
I'm interested in possibly buying a 2009 base Boxster in Lexington. The car is still under factory warranty so I'm not really looking for an expert PPI, but if someone could look at the car just for cosmetic issues I would sure appreciate it. Compensation TBD.
You should...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 9:30:27 am
... seriously consider an expert PPI on any expensive performance car unless it is new (carries a warranty) or if its CPO'd and therefore also has a warranty.
A PPI is probably the best investment you could make.
It may cost you several hundred dollars, but it could save you many times its cost.
Many times from the PPI report you receive you will be able to negotiate at least the cost of the PPI if not more, since it will discover issues which will not be evident to the casual eye.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: You should...
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 10:36:01 am
The car is under Porsche warranty until May 1, 2013. My plan is to drive the car home to Minneapolis if I buy it and then have the local dealer go through it and fix any issues before the warranty expires.
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 12:36:41 pm
Good luck with that plan.

The PPI is also to protect/inform you of the many items that aren't covered under warranty.

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 1:03:30 pm
I'm certainly willing to listen on this topic. This would be my first Porsche. The seller is the second owner and had the car shipped to him from another Porsche dealer in 2010. All service records have been saved. Please PM me if you don't want to clutter up the board with stuff. There is no rush on this. I wouldn't be able to drive the car home until mid March at the earliest.
Agree with Pedro and Gary
Roger987 - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 1:10:03 pm
There is a whole host of things a good PPI will check, that aren't warranty items.

e.g. worn/torn seats/interior, alignment issues that might indicate other problems, tires, brakes, paint, body work etc.

Well worth the investment.
How does one find a PPI expert?
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 2:17:07 pm
I know Pedro's in Florida.
Re: How does one find a PPI expert?
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 3:28:46 pm
You can do a Google search Porsche PPI in your area, you can ask your local PCA Club for a recommendation or you can have a Dealer (other than the one who's selling you the car) to do the PPI.
Or.... you can fly me to Lexington winking smiley
Good luck with your purchase,
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Dealer PPI
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 5:01:38 pm
You raise an interesting point. The car for sale is from a private party, not a dealer. The owner has already said that I could talk to the service manager at the dealership who is familiar with the car. I am wondering if that reference could be trusted? I will continue research for PPI options.
Re: Dealer PPI
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 5:08:06 pm
As a great man once said, "Trust but verify".

You're spending tens of thousands. A couple of hundred on an independent PPI will save you that and more.

Tell us about the car...pictures, color, miles, transmission. smoking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
More about the car
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 5:15:13 pm
This is a good way to answer your questions: [www.autotrader.com]
Good looking car, well optioned and a MANual tranny thumbs up *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 12 February, 2013, at 10:26:26 am
I have a rule...
grant - Tuesday, 12 February, 2013, at 10:42:18 am
Unless the car is an absolute steal, or i know the car's history (like my last purchase), i simply don't buy a car that I don't put on a lift first. A really trusted 3rd party PPI (e.g.; Pedro in SoFla, Gene Kirschner here...) has to suffice if the car is 300 miles away. But almost any car can have $1000s of unknown hidden costs, or deteriorating major systems, and the only way to find them is to look carefully.

I'd also rather pay a premium for a good car than get a 'deal" on a car that will cost me for years.

Finally, the cars that i bought with CPO warranties have not been among the my best purchases. insurance companies make money; and CPOs give a false sense of security on a car that may have been treated roughly for 3 years of lease. I have a suspicion that a low miles off-lease car means "previously owned by someone who knew they would dump the thing in 2-3 years and drove and maintained it like they stole it"

Funny how my cars always cost less to maintain than others'

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Accurate observations in my experience, Grant... *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 12 February, 2013, at 10:57:12 am
Re: I have a rule...
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Tuesday, 12 February, 2013, at 12:56:25 pm
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at another possibility and I'm not committed at this point to this particular car. I do prefer a private party rather than a dealer, and I'm looking only at a 2009 or later. Single owner is also good. My hunch is that we will see more private party cars as people see what numbers they are looking at for a trade-in on a 981.
FWIW, how about a PPI from another dealer in the area
MikenOH - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 6:42:39 pm
that doesn't have a history with the buyer or car?

A new point of view on the subject might be helpful before the purchase.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2013 06:43PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Re: Anybody here in Lexington, KY?
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 11 February, 2013, at 8:57:11 pm

You can do a Google search Porsche PPI in your area, you can ask your local PCA Club for a recommendation

When I was researching my first purchase, I contacted the PCA leadership in the region the car I was interested in was located. He had a member close to the dealership take a look at the car, and drove it, then contacted me. You should be able to do the same thing. Check the PCA region Lexington is located in and contact them for help.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Van914 - Thursday, 14 February, 2013, at 8:29:27 am
The Region is the Bluegrass Region.
The closest Porsche Dealer is Louisville or Cincinnati. About 1 hour from Lexington.
There are many PCA Members in the Lexington Area.

Good Luck

Van
SteveJ (2010 987 base, manual trans) - Thursday, 14 February, 2013, at 10:29:27 am
The car has been serviced at Blue Grass Porsche in Louisville. I may give them a call about PPI. It is my understanding that Porsche dealers have proprietary equipment that can determine if the car has ever experienced revs over the limit that might occur on downshift. This would be one consideration.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login