Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi all,

For no apparent reason (except, remember, y car was in a fairly serious crash), an airbag fault light came on a couple weeks back.
Yesterday i had it pulled with a PST2 and the code was 21, Ignition Circuit, driver. I looked this up on the web and found several posts, on by "Maurice" (our Maurice?) that indicate that this is generally an open circuit int he steering column, likely the clockspring.

My first inclination would be to open it up and see what it looks like - could be dirt, alignment etc.

So -

1. any general advice / experience here?
2. Any advice on removing the wheel and the airbag (disconnect batter, somehow get at some torx bolts from the back?, remove the wheel nut)
3. Any special precautions on how to handle the airbag unit itself? Aside from don't let the dog chew on it?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Remove the key from the ignition....
MarcW - Wednesday, 20 February, 2013, at 9:26:48 pm
grant
Hi all,

For no apparent reason (except, remember, y car was in a fairly serious crash), an airbag fault light came on a couple weeks back.
Yesterday i had it pulled with a PST2 and the code was 21, Ignition Circuit, driver. I looked this up on the web and found several posts, on by "Maurice" (our Maurice?) that indicate that this is generally an open circuit int he steering column, likely the clockspring.

My first inclination would be to open it up and see what it looks like - could be dirt, alignment etc.

So -

1. any general advice / experience here?
2. Any advice on removing the wheel and the airbag (disconnect batter, somehow get at some torx bolts from the back?, remove the wheel nut)
3. Any special precautions on how to handle the airbag unit itself? Aside from don't let the dog chew on it?

Grant

Disconnect battery power. Either wait some time, IIRC 30 minutes, or drain the residual power.

The few times I've needed to do this -- for something other than airbag removal which I've never done -- I've used stepping the brake pedal.

Treat the airbag as the explosive device it is.

Do not get too close to it.

Hold the airbag away from your face/head and body.

Be careful how and where you put it when you lay it down.

My resource says the airbag unit must always be placed so the airbag opening is facing upward.

Remember to a static discharge can trigger the thing.

My resources state the self locking screws (Torx T 30) should be replaced every time they are removed.
Thanks as usual! *NM*
grant - Thursday, 21 February, 2013, at 9:33:09 am
Grant

Grant:

I've had that fault code and wrote up my experience with the repair, although it was a few years ago.

I ended up buying a used "clockspring assembly" and replacing it and that code 21 has never come back since. The removal and replacement is very straightforward, but pay careful attention to the arrows on the face of the clockspring. You may try to clean the contacts with a spray electrical contact cleaner, but you have to be sure that the ribbon has no cracks or splits along its length.

Be careful when you are handling the airbag, as Marc cautions.

Regards, Maurice.
Is that the one you refer to?

Grant

Grant

A few additional points
Boxsterra - Saturday, 23 February, 2013, at 11:26:25 am
When removing the steering wheel, be careful about the face of the clockspring falling off. There are clips that are supposed to hold it into place but they are weak and sometimes break.

If you decide to open the clockspring assembly, do it slowly because once the spring comes out, it's hard to pack it back in correctly. It's not just wrapped in a spiral; it winds back and forth in a strange way.

Don't worry excessively about the airbag deploying. Despite what others have said, it requires an electronic handshake in order to deploy, one that cannot happen as a result of random electrical charge.

When putting the steering wheel back on, make sure to line up the plastic tabs that fit into the wheel before putting the wheel on. If you don't, they will break off.

Mark the position of the steering wheel before removing it. This will make it much easier to line up later.

I use a folding torx set from the discount bin of the local auto parts store. It is just long enough, allows for relatively high torque. When reassembling I remove the bit from the set to get more fine manipulation to line up the bolt.

Don't over-tighten the airbag screws when remounting it or you will regret it the next time you try to get it off. If the screws don't turn relatively easily then they are crooked. Get both bolts caught before tightening either.

I'm guessing that in the end you will replace the clockspring.

Good luck.
thanks for the tips *NM*
grant - Saturday, 23 February, 2013, at 12:03:54 pm
Grant

signal that ignites the gas generator. Handle air bags with extreme care.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login