Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 01:43PM by Naples986. (view changes)
Watched the whole thing now. Very well done and educational.
Laz - Tuesday, 2 April, 2013, at 9:17:40 am
Some comments:
Didn't smoke on start up!
Interesting to see a magnet (loose?) in the Tip sump.
Only saw tightening of the sump bolts in line. Would think at least final torquing was done by criss-crossing.
Pagid box had Textar pads. Same company/different branding?
Didn't indicate brakes being flushed: what about water and air in the lines after all those years?
Could barely understand the upholsterer. Anybody recall the pre-jump conversation in Band of Brothers between the American and the Brit dressed as a German?
Interesting that a tank of petrol could be a bargaining chip... price per liter "over there."
Thanks for sharing. What a great episode. Is anyone familiar with the procedure Ed used to resurface the rotors? Several years ago my local steal-ership told me that the Boxster rotors must be replaced with a brake job and that they never resurfaced rotors.
For a street car ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 4 April, 2013, at 12:51:17 pm
... resurfacing or rectifying the rotors is fine.
For a car that gets tracked, it's a big NO NO.
The reason is that when you rectify you're taking away material from the rotor.
The less mass, the less it can dissipate heat, so a thin rotor will hold heat in longer which is detrimental to braking. It also weakens the structure of the disc, especially those that are cross-drilled making them capable of shattering under heavy loads.
Porsche allows 2 mm of wear before they deem them replaceable.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: For a street car ...
Clarkaddison - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 1:06:14 pm
Not likely they would track it with a Tiptronic gearbox.

Ed could work on my car any time.
You'd be surprised ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 4:01:18 pm
... at how many tiptronic cars go to the track regularly.
As an instructor I get to drive all types of Porsches and for a beginning student, having an automatic is probably for the best.
With an automatic they don't need to worry about downshifts, heel and toe, upshifts, etc.
That way they don't have information overload which is what most newbies complain about.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

I know several tht are regulars.
grant - Tuesday, 3 September, 2013, at 6:30:04 pm
Some folks who never really learned to drive a stick; others who have dual drivers cars, yet others who wish they had a 6-speed but have what they bought when they *thought* it was a commuter car.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I'll add that even for a street car....
grant - Saturday, 6 April, 2013, at 10:14:44 pm
if there is in fact something to "rectify" - ok. But in general the best thing to do is leave them alone. The softer pad will wear into the rotor soon enough. By leaving them alone you are more likely to have a true rotor (surfacing machines are not perfect), the mass ( as noted) remains higher, and if the pads bedded and left proper deposits int he metal, they are still there.

And its free.

I have never turned a rotor unless something was very amiss, and that rarely was all that successful.

Grant

Grant

resurfacing may be "fine" but
grant - Tuesday, 3 September, 2013, at 8:06:13 am
It has the same upsides and downsides as for a track car.

up: maybe better starting surface ( eliminate glaze, irregularities)

down: less mass, maybe put a warp in the rotor

conclusion: never resurface. If its truly that bad get new ones.

Grant

Grant

Re: resurfacing may be "fine" but
MikenOH - Saturday, 7 September, 2013, at 8:46:17 am
Finally got around to watching the episode--a couple of thoughts:

1) Wouldn't you think the owner might have invested a few bucks in the tranny oil/filter change before he gave the car away?

2) The interior fixes were very cost effective and looked great.

3) Was that 600 pounds ($900) for just the rotors?--seems high.
Grant

I've been watching Wheeler Dealers since it started and one of my favorite show. Ed China is just an amazing and personable mechanic. Mike I believe now has an advantage when he goes out to buy cars with the camera running the sellers just want to be on TV. To sell a '03 Boxster S for $1600 (US $$) with a running motor and top with no body damage is insane. He could have parted it out for twice the price.
Thanks for posting l3m! Most enjoyable and informative. Always enjoy their show and especially Ed's amazing knowlege and skill. cool smiley
Does anyone have any idea what the upholsterer sprayed onto the leather seats? I use Lexol cleaner and treatment, but they didn't "wash" the seats, they just used a liquid to get them back to snuff.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
What they did to the seat bolsters was...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 4 April, 2013, at 12:53:21 pm
... to spray them with latex paint.
The paint is flexible enough to not crack with the leather movement and fills in the cracks and evens the color.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

enjoyed that -- thanks!
Steve (Morro Bay) - Thursday, 4 April, 2013, at 10:14:53 am
They sure got spendy on facelift things once they decided that the transmission was in good shape. Replacing the lights cost more than buying the car.
With a long extender you can easily reach the mounting bolts without removing the bumper. I used this technique when installing my PSE!
Yeah, that had me wondering. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 5 April, 2013, at 4:16:31 pm
Looks like they pulled the video and I was only half way through it. Guess I will have to wait until it's on Velocity. I know the sales are staged, but no one sells a Porsche for 1K. Still fun to see Ed turning the spanners on a Boxster.

Damon
Program your DVRs. The Boxster 3.2S episode airs on Velocity this coming Wednesday, Sept. 4, at 9pm ET.
I watched it last night. A few comments...
Tony in Whittier - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 12:37:51 pm
Mike and Edd sure repeated the "poor mans Porsche" several times during the show. Give it up all ready guys. I know they came around at the end, but show some love.

Am I the only one who hated the Alcantara inserts that were chosen? If you are going through all the trouble of replacing the center inserts, why not do it right and replace with matching or contrasting leather?

I know this was brought up in a separate thread, but are you able to turn discs that are cross drilled? Does it through off the lathe cutting tool when it hits a hole?
I watched it last night too, thanks for the update l3m thumbs up
Naples986 - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 1:58:46 pm
Wish we could get a light kit for those prices in the states. Overall it was nice to see my Boxster's UK twin on the "telly".
Did a lot of machining of interruptted...
MarcW - Thursday, 5 September, 2013, at 3:44:06 pm
Tony in Whittier
Mike and Edd sure repeated the "poor mans Porsche" several times during the show. Give it up all ready guys. I know they came around at the end, but show some love.

Am I the only one who hated the Alcantara inserts that were chosen? If you are going through all the trouble of replacing the center inserts, why not do it right and replace with matching or contrasting leather?

I know this was brought up in a separate thread, but are you able to turn discs that are cross drilled? Does it through off the lathe cutting tool when it hits a hole?

surfaces on various parts (small and large ( tons in weight and feet in diameter) on lathes, and various horizontal and vertical boring mills, and surface grinders and cylindrical grinders and never had any problems.

Not bragging, but if the machinist knows what he is doing the interrupted cut does not affect the final and desired results.

In short the rotor lathe should be able to handle the resurfacing of the drilled rotors.

Now there can be some side issues. For one the holes may not be drilled but cast in and the holes can have a nasty scale that can play havoc with the cutting tool. There are ways to avoid this but a general automotive machine shop brake lathe operator may not know them. Also, it can take more time to resurface the rotors.

After the machining tere can be an issue with the holes having a sharp edge as the resurfacing might remove the remaining chamfer/countersink but I would think this would mean the rotors were too thin to cut in the first place.

If the holes are not chamfered/countersunk the shop may not want to take the considerable extra effort to do this.

This then may cause the shop to refuse to cut the rotors. The concern then is the holes have sharp edges and are prone to some edge fracturing as the brakes are used and this can cause problems -- crumbs of cast iron get pulled out by the pads with possibly disastrous results to the pad and rotor surfaces. This results in a bring back.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login