Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Looking for a couple part numbers
ericp - Tuesday, 5 March, 2013, at 4:29:44 pm
Hey All,

I have a 2001 Base Boxster, I am looking for the part numbers for the rear trunk cable (mine broke, motor still works so assuming cable broke) and also the spring behind the inside drivers door handle (I think it broke, handle is loose and window drops when I hit a good bump).

Also, the passenger windows doesn't always drop when opening the door (I think mostly when getting out) and I think I need a window regulator, AutoHausAZ has 2 (one OEM, and one aftermarket, URO Parts, about $100 difference) is either acceptable? Is there just one in each door?
[url=http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=1wgrpc451ypark3ncq50c1eu&makeid=800019@Porsche&modelid=1374836@BOXSTER &year=2001&cid=13@Body, Trim %26 Lighting&gid=10217@Window Regulator]Windows Regulators[/url]

Thanks!
-Eric
Re: Looking for a couple part numbers
thom4782 - Wednesday, 6 March, 2013, at 6:28:01 pm
I believe the rear trunk release cable number is 986 512 017 01. The catalog calls it a tensioner.

The return spring from the left side door handle is 996 537 611 00

I'd suggest calling AutohausAZ for opinion on OEM v aftermarket.
I just can't find the part number for the spring...... sorry... but here are a few pictures. These pictures were of my temporary repair.... I bent the end of the broken part, then stretched it out, and reinstalled it. I then ordered a replacement spring and then reinstalled the new spring.

I had to do a temporary repair because my door latch would droop open and the window would drop..... I didn't want to drive around that way and when it happened, I didn't know what was causing the problem. So I popped the door panel off, saw the broken spring, repaired it, and then ordered a new part.

Good luck

Peace,
Bruce in Philly

The broken spring and its "sock":

Re: I did this spring repair a few years ago....
thom4782 - Thursday, 7 March, 2013, at 12:07:40 am
I misread the original note. My 'spring' part number referred to the one that returns the outside door handle to its closed position. I think Bruce my be referring to a part called a Bowden cable in the parts diagram. It connects the inner door handle to door lock. From the parts diagram I have, the Bowden cable part number is 996 537 320 03. Try looking at the diagram on Auto Atlanta site for this part number is see if it is the one your need. [www.autoatlanta.com]
Re: Looking for instructions on how to replace rear truck cable
m2 - Thursday, 7 March, 2013, at 12:08:36 pm
I also need to replace the rear trunk cable... do you have instructions? I'd appreciate being able to see them.
thanks.
ericp - Monday, 22 April, 2013, at 3:33:39 pm
I got the door spring replaced yesterday, thanks for the images!

I still need to fix the rear trunk release, on the 2001 do I have to replace the entire actuator? It works fine except the cable frayed and broke and I can't find information on finding that replacement. The number given above looks to be for the earlier models that had a manual trunk release in he cabin, not the electric one.

Thanks,
-Eric
EricG - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 12:15:46 pm
Eric,

I use the following site to lookup part number. I find it very usefull.

AutoAtlanta service - Boxster up to 2004
I use ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 2:39:25 pm
... BertSmithParts and they're Board Sponsors!

[bertsmithparts.com]

Haoppy Porscheing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
ericp - Saturday, 27 April, 2013, at 5:01:52 pm
It appears that even though only the cable frayed and broke you have to replace the whole trunk actuator ($160). I am working on a fix myself first.

-Eric
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login