Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
My brake sensor light went on the other day. I checked my shop manual (Which may be for non-S model) and the maximum pad dimension is 11mm with a minimum of 2mm. Is that accurate for an S?

I assume that the wear sensor goes on before it reaches the minimum. I removed one wheel and the right front is pad at 4 to 5 mm. I cannot see if the sensor has been touched on this rotor.

Is it true that once the sensor illuminates it needs to be replaced?
in diameter.

If the wear is enough that the sensor is on then this indicates approx. 4.7mm of pad is left. However, wear can be uneven from pad edge to edge (front to back, or top to bottom) so there may be less pad material remaining at the edge of the pad that has experienced the most wear.

If a sensor has been touched you'll know but you have to remove each wheel and manage to spread apart the pads to view their wear surfaces to see the sensor's cavity and the sensor has been touched.

At least once I reused sensors that pad wear had caused them to light the brake wear warning lamp but I was prepared if any of the sensors gave out a false alarm to have to go to the extra effort to verify the alarm was false and then replace the old false alarming sensor with a new sensor.

I think a reasonable trade off is to replace just the sensors that is worn. But IIRC the sensors come in pairs. I'm less sure of this but the sensors may be interchangeable from front to rear wheels.

It is not a real hardship -- imho -- to renew all sensors every time the pads or pads/rotors are changed. But it is up to you.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login