Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Just installed a phone holder into my 2009 C2S with better than expected results. It required buying two pieces from diffiferent manufacturers and hoping I could make it work. It did and better than I expected.

Parts:

ProClip Angled Mount 853540 – clip and plate for Porsche $20
iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Holder $39

My requirements:
1. Must support a Droid 4 with case (case eliminates virtually all Droid 4 holders including Motorola’s own)
2. Must be able to get access to the power port on phone with phone in holder
3. Must be fairly compact
4. Must mount down near cubby near USB power cable – I drilled a hole in the back of the cubby where I wired a multi-lighter socket to switched power from the fuse box to support the USB cable, Valentine 1, and whatever else I may need
5. No drilling or gluing or damaging visible areas

I chose the ProClip as it was a nice, elegant solution specifically for Porsche and provides a generic plastic plate to drill and mount just about anything. Just perfect.
I chose the iOttie after tons of searching for a good clip. The IOttie fits virtually all smart phones. There is a little button on its surface that when tripped, the side clamps snap in and grab the phone. Just place the phone down and the thing snaps on to it. Squeeze two, hidden, small tabs and the phone pops out. Really cool. The bottom support can slide sideways and or up and down to accommodate differing phone sizes and power socket locations. It is slim. This is one fantastic design.

I gambled that I could modify the iOttie to mount on the plate. I was a bit lucky in that I could preserve the ball and socket system (also thin) by simply cutting the socket system from the iOttie windshield mount. Then I sanded it to sit flat onto the clip plate. I only had to drill a single hole into the clip plate to pass the socket tension screw. The tension screw had a nut-knob configuration so I popped the nut out of the knob and just use it as it fit a bit snugger behind the plate.

This turned out better than I hoped. Easy too!

Peace
Bruce in Philly

- End -
Gosh that interior is pretty. *NM*
grant - Friday, 8 March, 2013, at 6:49:59 pm
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: Gosh that interior is pretty.
MauriceonLongIsland - Saturday, 9 March, 2013, at 10:15:57 am
Very excellent project, and a very neat install!

Thanks for taking the time to post the detailed photos. The arm of the bracket in the next to last photo is even parralel with the lines of the console!!!

Regards, Maurice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2013 10:17AM by MauriceonLongIsland. (view changes)
That is a really neat setup.
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 9 March, 2013, at 11:04:28 am
Thanks for the writeup, Bruce.
Literally. And it's pretty, too. *NM*
Laz - Sunday, 10 March, 2013, at 8:59:42 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login