Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
IMS Class Action Proposed Settlement
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 11 March, 2013, at 8:50:42 pm
Eisen v. Porsche Cars North America, Inc. Case No. CV11-9405 CAS (FEMx)

Text posted on forums.rennlist.com under Water Cooled, Boxster but also affects 911s Model years 2001-2005

This appears to have been filed before the court in November, 2011 but the text implies no agreement has been reached as critical details are omitted so I interpret this as a lawyer for Eisen publishing his draft of what he'd like to see.

IANAL and so have no access to any more info beyond the fact that the Court's web site does list the case name. Perhaps the lawyers among us can get some status of the case.
Re: IMS Class Action Proposed Settlement
BDBOXSTER - Monday, 11 March, 2013, at 10:26:07 pm
Interesting. Would like to read about the particulars?????
Re: IMS Class Action Proposed Settlement
dennisafrompa - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 7:24:13 am
Oh boy, maybe I'll get 10 bucks a piece for my 2 IMS failures!eye rolling smiley
I had two engines fail also in my 2000 Boxster S. The first at 47K miles and the 2nd at 150K miles engine (197K miles chassis).

For the recent, 2nd failure, my Porsche mechanic said it was definitely the IMS - it skipped time in one bank, but the new owner pulled the bearing and it was fine. For the first failure, the dealer mechanic in Atlanta wasn't sure. The oil filter was loaded with metal pieces..... he just wasn't sure what the problem was "could be IMS".

Some are starting to wonder if the IMS, a real weak spot no doubt, is getting all the blame when it may not be the problem. What do you think? (I know, a blown engine is a blown engine not matter what the problem, and I agree Porsche had an awful design on their hands.)

Peace
Bruce in Philly
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Hey Gary, you continue to make me out as some sort of carper!! I DO know what failed and YES I did get a new motor after a charge of $3100 for partial tear down and R&R. Plus I had to sign a statement that essentially claimed Porsche had no liability in this and was purely a good will gesture.

Further, I was shown the damage to the bearing by Autohaus in Lancaster PA. You are totally uninformed NOT ME!!

I have pictures!

Further, I was making joke about the 10 bucks as I hate class action suites.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 05:41PM by dennisafrompa. (view changes)
dennisafrompa
I was making joke.......

Me too, as usual drinking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Additional info
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 7:21:15 pm
There is a posting in that thread that the proposed settlement has not been approved by the court yet (expected April sometime).

So assuming the settlement is as proposed and the car had a IMS failure and it occurred within 10 years of the in-service date and within 130k miles on the car and you can prove that and you could prove it was the IMS that was the cause and it cost you some money and you have proof of the amount and you are willing to pay the lawyer to process your claim .....

Dennis might well get some $ out of the settlement. He of course kept the paperwork and the cancelled checks.
Re: Additional info
MikenOH - Wednesday, 13 March, 2013, at 11:09:27 pm
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
There is a posting in that thread that the proposed settlement has not been approved by the court yet (expected April sometime).

So assuming the settlement is as proposed and the car had a IMS failure and it occurred within 10 years of the in-service date and within 130k miles on the car and you can prove that and you could prove it was the IMS that was the cause and it cost you some money and you have proof of the amount and you are willing to pay the lawyer to process your claim .....

Dennis might well get some $ out of the settlement. He of course kept the paperwork and the cancelled checks.

Given the comments from some of the people on this board that have had engine failures first thought to be caused by the IMS, spending $ after the failure to pinpoint the exact cause will be critical to any successful claim, assuming the other criteria is met and the judge/jury sees it your way.
I would think there would be lots of technical expertise testimony required on behalf of the plaintiffs required to provide a basis for said claim and you would also require all maintenance records and DME data supporting a lack of abuse.

Sounds a major struggle for the plaintiffs from the get go.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 14 March, 2013, at 9:53:18 am
I suspect that all that would be necessary was for a rep from Porsche (dealer) to have diagnosed the problem as IMS and documented it on the repair ticket. DIY diagnosis would certainly require more docs but recall that the record for claims could be years old by now so lack of retention of records will limit the number of claims. Lets see what process the lawyers will set up.

Wait.

But important for people to know some relief may be available as it may impact how they act if they suspect a problem in a ar potentially covered.
Eric (Plug Guy) - Sunday, 17 March, 2013, at 4:48:05 pm
I guess I was lucky with my former '04 C4S Cab. Engine let go 2 weeks out of warranty, 16k miles on the clock, dealer presumed it was IMS but it was definitely catastrophic and oil filter full of metal pieces, but no abuse or anything else.

PCNA good-willed a replacement (new, not reman'd) engine. My only out of pocket was the tow, and I was fine with that. Sold the '04 just under 2 years later (did not want to have zero warranty after that experience).....

Good luck to others who had this happen without positive resolution.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login