Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
987 Convertible Top
BDBOXSTER - Sunday, 17 March, 2013, at 4:01:08 pm
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a 2005 CPO (June 2005 build date) and have noticed an issue when closing my top. I have to stop about 3/4 of the way down and get out of the car and "guide" the sides of the top into the hard plastic side-outline where the sides should guide themselves in. It's a pain in the arse to
always have to stop the top in the middle of closing and get out to guide the sides into where they should go. I realize the car is almost 8 years old and I'm hoping its an easy fix that will be covered under the CPO???

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully giving some good insight.

Bryan ~
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
grant
n/t
Grant:

I think Stefan was referring to lubricating the channels in which the black sliders at the end of the clamshell support arms ride back and forth.

If you follow the clamshell support arms down, you will see the channels. You can spray some white lithium grease in those channels, or, if you want to splurge, get some Dupont Krytox in there.

Regards, Maurice.
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
MauriceonLongIsland

if you want to splurge, get some Dupont Krytox in there.

Regards, Maurice.

I've never heard of DuPont Krytox...so I went to look it up... OMG, that is some expensive grease!
Re: 987 Convertible Top
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 18 March, 2013, at 10:31:57 am
It's likely the strap in the top has lost its tention. Check sundowner's post here.

[www.planet-9.com]

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
EricG - Monday, 18 March, 2013, at 3:44:27 pm
BDBOXSTER
Hi Everyone,

I recently bought a 2005 CPO (June 2005 build date) and have noticed an issue when closing my top. I have to stop about 3/4 of the way down and get out of the car and "guide" the sides of the top into the hard plastic side-outline where the sides should guide themselves in. It's a pain in the arse to
always have to stop the top in the middle of closing and get out to guide the sides into where they should go. I realize the car is almost 8 years old and I'm hoping its an easy fix that will be covered under the CPO???

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully giving some good insight.

Bryan ~

Bryan, I had the same problem with mine, also a 2005-987S.

My problem was the folder string. It's a small cord that runs thru the rag top with an elastic in the middle. I can't wrap my mind around how this string helps and nor did my mecanic. But after replacing it, problem fixed !

Check the followin article about it, that's what lead me to find my problem:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/34974-that-string-thing-through-the-headliner/
BDBOXSTER - Monday, 18 March, 2013, at 6:29:13 pm
Thanks, everyone for the help.....hopefully, your suggestions will work. On another note, so far I have had my car for 48 days and I have put over 3,200 miles on it and I have had to go back to the dealer for:

1. New Bose CDR24 radio (7 days after I bought the car)
2. Inside drivers door handle "de-attached" so they had to take door apart and fix so I could get out of the car (today)
3. One of two horns is shot and needs to be replaced AND the remaining horn is "week" so they are ordering 2 new horns to be replaced next week. I knew something was wrong with the horn but thought it was me??? Thanks to the service advisor for checking it out just in case! The horn is a safety issue!!!
4. Convertible top does not go back up correctly (hence the above question.....and I didn't think it would be covered under CPO but service advisor today told me differently = cool!)
5. Now I wonder if the oil was ever changed??????? So, I ordered a Blackstone kit today to send out for analysis and will change the oil in another thousand miles for self curiosity.

Not trying to cry wolf but when you buy a CPO car one would expect that the car was carefully prepped, etc. and for someone who has bought and sold a lot of cars, I would NEVER again buy a car from the Porsche of Kings Auto Mall dealer in Cincinnati, Ohio!!!!! The used car manager is a pathetic shiester (the sales girl was nice and ethical but she early didn't know Porsche's or how they operate) who is so unprofessional that his skill level is just that.....a used car salesman who gives his career choice the mostly bad persona it generates. This is a Porsche dealership which he obviously forgot. The MAIN reason I bought this car was because of the CPO and thank goodness I did. It took them 30 full day to send me my title when I paid cash for the car.....can you believe ???

Alright, enough of the pontificating.....thank goodness I met a really good individual in the service dept at Jack Daniels Porsche in NJ today (who went above and beyond) when I was on my way back to New England because the inside drivers door handle broke and then he took the time to look at some of my other concerns...which he didn't have to do, especially when I didn't have an appt. I will surely be looking at Jack Daniels for further service and in another 16-20 months when I am ready to unload this Boxster for a 2013/2014 boxster.

Again, many thanks for the suggestions above!!!

Bryan ~
The dealer wants to fix anything they can
Boxsterra - Monday, 18 March, 2013, at 8:10:49 pm
since the factory pays them to do the work. As long as they think Porsche will cover it they should be eager to do the work.
Re: The dealer wants to fix anything they can
BDBOXSTER - Monday, 18 March, 2013, at 9:42:31 pm
I understand your point but what I didn't tell you was that I went to a "Top 25 Porsche Dealership" (look up on Porsche home page) a couple of weeks ago and the service advisor couldn't find enough excuses to keep making things aggravating....uh, we need to make ANOTHER appt to look at this and that, complete BS. So, F^{K them.....there are always open doors.
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Monday, 18 March, 2013, at 7:10:08 pm
Did you get an inspection form with the car? It should have been filled out by the mechanic who did the inspection.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
BDBOXSTER - Monday, 18 March, 2013, at 7:54:16 pm
Yes......and they bragged about a "Master Mechanic" who would "NEVER" sign off on a CPO CAR, YADDA YADDA BLAH!!! I knew a Master Mechanic when I was in H.S. and she really was!!!!!! JESUS CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!
MauriceonLongIsland - Tuesday, 19 March, 2013, at 1:56:13 pm
The problem that you describe with your convertible top is a very common one with 987's that are more than a few years old.

Assuming that your fold placer string is intact (as mentioned in EricG's post), the reason your edges are not being pulled into their respective channels is because the small elastic straps (one on each side) that are behind the B-Pillar have lost their elasticity. Those straps pull on the cable edge and guide the edge into the channel.

It's a ten minute fix if you can reach in there and adjust the straps to the next eyelet hole on each strap. If someone has already done that and there is no more adjustment left, you will have to replace the elastic straps. That is more like a half hour job on each side.

Regards, Maurice.
BDBOXSTER - Tuesday, 19 March, 2013, at 2:45:54 pm
Many thanx, Maurice. I will take your advice and let you know. I'm very appreciative of this forum!

Bryan ~
BLKBOXS - Sunday, 15 September, 2013, at 10:38:56 am
Hi Maurice,

I have adjusted my straps twice now and I believe I need to replace the elastic strap on both sides. Is there a DYI for this with pics???

Thanks.

2006 987S

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS - Sunday, 15 September, 2013, at 12:23:46 pm
Here is a pic of my strap.sad smiley

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS - Friday, 20 September, 2013, at 12:24:06 pm
Does anybody have any advice?

MIKELLIG
BLKBOXS - Friday, 27 September, 2013, at 12:57:27 pm
I went to the Porsche Dealer (London) and got it fixed up at a very reasonable cost. (130 cnd +Tax for both sides) So far so good.

They also fixed my cup holder for $30..I popped a spring.

I was impressed as this was my first Porsche Dealer service.

MIKELLIG
Great to hear I'll give them a try too *NM*
DougW - Sunday, 29 September, 2013, at 9:21:19 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login