Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Squeal when starting
Jayusa123 - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 2:15:56 am
About a year ago, I noticed an occasional squeal when starting my car. It sounded typical of a starter beginning to go bad. By September, I noticed it more often and also started to observe that my car would, on occasion, not start. (same symptoms of low battery) I replaced the battery as a matter of course, but the starting trouble remained. I imagined that this (along with the squealing) was my cue to order a new starter, as I had enough evidence to assume it was on its way out. So, I replaced the starter.

I didn't hear the squeal anymore. The battery would still occasionally fail to start the car. (Perhaps due to a known electrical problem related to my immobilizer--which needs replacement... I'm putting that aside for the moment.)

However, I've recently started to hear the same squeal again.

Do you think it's likely my rebuilt starter is faulty? Is there something else that could cause a similar squealing sound while cranking? (It stops immediately after the car starts.)

Jay
Re: Squeal when starting
Laz - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 7:12:55 am
Some years ago my 01's starter began to make a scraping/squealing noise, which might've been the Bendix drive hanging up. A replacement starter fixed the issue, and it's ok to this day. I wonder if the serpentine belt, or something directly related to the power steering is going bad. Maybe the starter, especially if a non OEM rebuild, is prematurely wearing out. I've no conjectures concerning the non-start, other than that could have to do with the Bendix drive also.
It's probably the starter bendix
Boxsterra - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 9:19:07 am
It can be fixed fairly easily. You remove the starter and clean and lube the bendix. I had the same problem and it has been 5 years since I lubed it and the problem has never recurred.
Laz
Yes, & either way the starter is up top, albeit somewhat hidden, so it's relatively easy to get at.

That's such an easy job that the (relatively) easy job of replacing my Boxster's starter seemed like a major pain in the ass! Although, once I decided to just remove the intake air pipe entirely instead of just pivoting it out of the way, the job became a lot easier.
I guess I'll have to pop it out again an have a look
Jayusa123 - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 11:00:28 am
I bought an ACDELCO remanufactured unit for around $130. I thought I was getting a deal since it was from an OEM core and carried a lifetime warranty. I guess I should have lubricated it myself before installing it though.
The stock unit lasts forever as far as I know
Boxsterra - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 6:39:56 pm
it just needs to be lubed once every 10-15 years.
Re: The stock unit lasts forever as far as I know
Jayusa123 - Thursday, 21 March, 2013, at 10:11:37 pm
Aha. Now I know why AC Delco offers a lifetime warranty on them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login