Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Fueling problems
Davzin - Wednesday, 5 January, 2011, at 9:38:04 pm
Took my '05 987 for some airing out in the warm, mid 50s California sun today. Although it has been parked in the garage, seemingly endless rain storms & humidity made the interior seem like some dampness had accumulated. During the drive the fuel gauge hit the red zone so I pulled up too the pump to fill 'er up. Not so fast...the pump shut off at approximately 9 gallons. So I tried to hand operate the pump since the auto shutoff kicked in to stop the flow. Eventually I filled the tank in this manner, but felt like the fuel was dribbling in through a turkey-baster after 5 minutes. Remember this topic floated around in the past year...there was a fuse that might be blown relative to the shutoff. Checked the fusebox...everything was A-OK. Now what?? Called the dealer...he said, "Bring it in"...but wouldn't speculate on the cause. I mentioned to the service writer that the fusebox had been checked. Thanks for all the great P-car knowledge on this board.
I have had problems in the past (not necessarily the Boxster) with gas pumps acting in that manner. Sometimes it can be solved by turning the handle upside down; or maybe the station has a power problem. It could also be an extremely low level of fuel in the storage tank.
Re: Fueling problems
Al in Melbourne Beach - Thursday, 6 January, 2011, at 3:27:24 pm
I had a similar problem (but it shut off after about a pint of flow) and it was a fuse. It is the same fuse as the cigarette lighter in a 2002.
Bet it's the sensor
Ruby - Thursday, 6 January, 2011, at 6:39:38 pm
in the fuel filler pipe. I had this problem in my maxima two years ago where it would only take a few gallons and the pump would constantly shut it off as if full. Had to dripple it in. Bad news is cost about $150 for the maxima. Adding on the "surcharge" that Porsche's get would not be surprised for a higher cost.
Re: Bet it's the sensor
Davzin - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 10:50:49 am
I've tried different pumps, gas stations, etc....the problem hasn't gone away. The first thing I checked was the fuse box, and they were all good...looks like a call to the dealer is in the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login