Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Muffler hack, want louder but no welding
tom coughlin - Wednesday, 5 January, 2011, at 11:26:03 pm
OK, I've found a muffler for sale. I hope to modify it (to improve the sound of my 02).

I have a Dremel tool. I don't weld.
I remember that there was a way to cut into the muffler. Does anybody know where I can find that info.?

Can I get the mufler off my car and the modified one on without welding? Other issues/problems? Thanks, Tom
Re: Muffler hack, want louder but no welding
MauriceonLongIsland - Wednesday, 5 January, 2011, at 11:44:30 pm
tom coughlin
OK, I've found a muffler for sale. I hope to modify it (to improve the sound of my 02).

I have a Dremel tool. I don't weld.
I remember that there was a way to cut into the muffler. Does anybody know where I can find that info.?

Can I get the mufler off my car and the modified one on without welding? Other issues/problems? Thanks, Tom

You can remove the old muffler off and get the new one on without welding. It's just a matter of loosening the large clamps on each side of the U-pipes if the clamps are not rusted solid. If the clamps are very old, you will probably have to cut them off and replace them with new ones.

There was a discussion and photos on the old PPBB about a year ago showing how to do the mod, which basically involved drilling a couple of progressively larger holes into the exhaust outlets. Do a search in the archives there and you should find it.

There was another method, which involved cutting the two halves of the muffler apart, but that involves welding.

Regards, Maurice.
who documented it!

[www.ppbb.com]

Regards, Maurice.
Re: Muffler hack, want louder but no welding
Alcantera - Thursday, 6 January, 2011, at 9:19:36 am
You are about to waste a lot of time. I cut open the top off a muffler ,gutted the inside, welded it together and the result....no difference at all!!!! the only option that works is to do the Pedro bypass, I did that with 1 1/2 stainless pipe which is about as big as you can go. its a little tricky but you have all winter. i read of a place that does this on an exchange basis you may try go ogle. I am really happy with the sound and the absence of reverberation
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login