Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Whistling Front Hood
slotsunami - Thursday, 6 January, 2011, at 1:42:29 am
I remember seeing a post somewhere about the front hood whistling. I just had the front bumper fixed after I scratched it on a high curb in early December. The hood used be below the bumper so there was no whistling sound. Now they are perfectly level, it looks great but it whistles over 45 mph. Without re-adjusting the hood is there a way to stop the whistling?
Re: Whistling Front Hood
CarreraLicious - Thursday, 6 January, 2011, at 5:34:16 am
Search in the old Boxster board...PPBB
I posted about that once. Basically, you just loosen the top of the bumper, pull it out slightly and then retighten it. The whistle will go away. That's the technique if you don't want to adjust the hood itself.
Dave In MD - Thursday, 6 January, 2011, at 8:44:07 am
I had the same problem with mine after the front bumper cover was replaced last summer. I adjusted the hood latch to get rid of it. There are only a couple of bolts holding the latch in place. Use a pencil to mark the bolt locations before you loosen and make small adjustments. You may also need to adjust the rubber bumpers on the hood by turning them. It's a little tedious making sure you keep the latch straight and it took me a few tries to get it where it needed to be, but it's really not a hard DIY.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
slotsunami - Thursday, 6 January, 2011, at 5:57:34 pm
Thanks for the info, I will try the hood adjustment first then the bumper adjustment if that does not work.
most body shops are very poor about proper installation of the front (or rear) bumper covers of these cars. There are many and varied fasteners and my Porsche techs tell me invariably when they get a hold of a car that has been in the body shop they'll find the front bumper covers missing fasteners, the wrong fasteners used in the wrong holes, or the thing just not installed properly.

The front trunk lid's leading edge is supposed to be *below* the front bumper cover's back edge.

If the bumper cover is installed correctly then how the front trunk lid came to get out of proper adjustment is beyond me. Maybe some unknowing body shop tech believed the front trunk lid's lower position 'wrong' and 'fixed' it for you?

If so, then the proper fix it to adjust the trunk lid stops and the latch to allow the front trunk lid to close/latch so its leading edge is below the bumper. Check out various unmolested Porsches for the proper amount of distance the trunk lid wants to be lower than the bumper cover.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login