Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
convertible top
boxster99 - Thursday, 18 April, 2013, at 11:08:11 am
Hi folks,

I have several questions and need some expert advices:

1. I had my hardtop on for the past 3 years (too lazy to take it off, plus I like the look with the hardtop on smiling smiley. What does it do to the car soft top? Will I ruin the plastic window?

2. Last time when I put the soft top up (that was 3 years ago), the clamp shell did not close down evenly (about 1/2 inch gap on one side). But when I tried it again, it seems to close down OK. Is this mean one or both of the drive cables might need to be replaced? How easy to do/check that? is there a DIY with picture?

I know this subject has been discuss a lot but could not find it so sorry in advance if I ask it again.

Thanks,
Tony

Boxster base 99 with 35K miles
Re: convertible top
MauriceonLongIsland - Sunday, 21 April, 2013, at 12:37:45 am
1. Porsche sells a soft cloth "insert" which you are supposed to put over the convertible top window from the outside before opening the top. That part is supposed to minimize scratches to the plastic window while it is down and folded over. You can probably use another soft cloth in place of the Porsche part with the same effect.

2. If your clamshell does not end up even on both sides, one of the possible causes is that one of the drive cables is not being spun by the electric motor's output flange. It it's only 1/2 inch difference, it may be that the one cable is just borderline between being driven and skipping a little. Take a look at the black plastic sheathing that covers the drive cables. It it is smooth-sided, you can replace it with the later, cross-hatched version. The improved version is less susceptible to stretching and the inner drive cable thus does not get disengaged from the electric motor's output flange as readily.

Regards, Maurice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login