Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Code of the Curve 981 Cayman introduction
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 11:11:15 am
Yesterday, I was lucky enough to get an invite to the Code of the Curve as Porsche calls its rolling showcase of new cars. The event was held at Mosport and as expected. it was really well organized. They had 3 Caymans and 3 Cayman S's with two participants per car. It started out with a light breakfast followed by a walk-around showing the new features of the cars.

This was followed by a slalom run and brake avoidance exercise. where you started and drove maximum acceleration toward a set of cones and on signal, hit the brakes as hard as you can and steer right or left to avoid the cones. Despite the rain and wet pavement, it really showcased just how stable these cars are. Each driver got 3 runs. Then we switched cars so everyone got to try the same exercise in an S and non-S.

After a brief pitstop for the drivers, we headed out onto the track. Each group of 3 cars had a Porsche lead driver who took us around the track twice. Again, each of us got to drive 2 laps in an S and a non-S. We had a chance to drive in regular and sport mode, as well as automatic and "manual" mode. All cars were equipped with paddle shifters. So there where lots of toys to play with. At the end, there was a bit of extra time, so one of the Porsche drivers asked if anyone wanted to go out for one more run. I think eveybody was back in their cars with seatbelts on before he finished the question.

Here was my second lap in the S.

[www.youtube.com]
What fun!
Roger987 - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 12:25:47 pm
You must have been doing things right - the intructor sounded relaxed. Sounds as though both of you would have enjoyed a chance to crank it up a notch. smiling smiley
Wow looks like a great time, how
DougW - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 1:38:01 pm
did you like the PDK through the cones a and on the track?
Was there a big difference between the Base and S?
Re: Wow looks like a great time, how
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 3:41:00 pm
It was a great time. That track thing could become very additive.

I don't think manual or PDK makes a difference through the cones. You wouldn't shift anyway. At that point I had it in auto mode and I think I was in second gear. Didn't check the readout. I'd have prefered to have stuck it into gear and go.

On the track, by my third lap, I was starting to get a feel for the PDK. It does shift REALLY quickly, no doubt about it. By my third and last lap in the S, I was bad and dropped back a bit just before the hairpin so right after the turn, I could go flat out up the hill on the back straight. By the time I got to he Canadian Tire bridge, I had it up to 200 kph (125mph). That S has a LOT of get up and go, with with 50 HP more you can't help but notice the difference when accelerating. The PDK is an awesome piece of engineering. It's just not my cup of tea. I had to keep looking down at the readout to know what gear I was in. With the manual, I know what gear I'm in because I put it there. I just never felt as connect to the car as I am when I'm driving mine.

Despite the rain we had day, it really was a terrific event.
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 3:46:12 pm
Guenter in Ontario
I had to keep looking down at the readout to know what gear I was in. With the manual, I know what gear I'm in because I put it there.

The way you drive a PDK on the track is that you KNOW what gear you SHOULD be in, well ..... that's the gear you're in. You don't have to look down at all.
The first two or three laps the PDK learns from you your style of driving, then it shifts better than you ever taught it to. It is totally consistent.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 4:37:30 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)

The way you drive a PDK on the track is that you KNOW what gear you SHOULD be in, well ..... that's the gear you're in. You don't have to look down at all.
The first two or three laps the PDK learns from you your style of driving, then it shifts better than you ever taught it to. It is totally consistent.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

I understand what you're saying, Pedro. It probably can shift better than I can.

So now, there are only three more improvements to having the perfect race car. All it needs is to be able to
1. accelerate better than you
2. brake better than you
3. steer better than you

...and we know that these technologies already exist, just a little more tweaking and we're there.

Then the only challenge left for the driver will be how to keep his/her beer from spilling during the race.
Did you find the symphony was louder in the
DougW - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 4:51:51 pm
Cayman vs. the Boxter (with the top up on the Boxster)?
Re: Did you find the symphony was louder in the
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 4:57:26 pm
I'm not sure if it was louder, probably a bit different with sound reflecting off the back window and hatch. Again, I'd have to drive them back to back. .....wait. The Boxster has a top? winking smiley
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
The extra 50 HP in the S are very noticeable. If you have the place to use it and like that extra kick, I'd definitely recommend the S. You certainly don't need it to have fun in the Cayman car, but the S does widen the grin a bit. cool smiley

The thing that keeps impressing me is how smooth both 981's (Boxster and Cayman) ride, even on the 20" wheels the S's had, even with PASM set in sports mode. There's just no lean in the corners. It's amazing how planted both cars felt even though we were driving them on the wet track.

PDK - I've said my piece above.
Re: Code of the Curve 981 Cayman introduction
MikenOH - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 2:06:47 pm
Looks like great fun. So, are you sold on the PDK now? winking smiley

How does the CS compare to the Boxsters you've driven?

981 styling --does it work as well on the Cayman as it does on the Boxster?
Re: Code of the Curve 981 Cayman introduction
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 4:18:07 pm
MikenOH
Looks like great fun. So, are you sold on the PDK now? winking smiley

How does the CS compare to the Boxsters you've driven?

981 styling --does it work as well on the Cayman as it does on the Boxster?

Yes, I will get a PDK - on my wheel chair. As long as I'm able, I'll just enjoy doing the shifting myself. Why should I pay $4000 so the car can have the fun that I want to have?

It's pretty difficult to compare the two cars since I haven't driven them under similar conditions. When I've driven the Boxster on the street, it seems to corner flat, really flat with PASM in sport mode and REALLY flat with the sports chassis. I'd say they're pretty similar, without being able to drive them under the same conditions. (I'd be more than happy try them both at the track if Porsche would arrange it. smiling bouncing smiley )

As far as styling, it's a personal thing, but to me, the new Cayman looks better than the last model. It doesn't have that same peak in the roof and looks lower and longer because of the base of the windshield being pulled forward. The larger side intakes and new spoiler really seem to suit it too. If I didn't love roadsters and sunshine (when we get it) so much, I'd definitely get a Cayman.
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 06:20PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
That's.....
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 25 April, 2013, at 7:33:09 pm

......quite a stretch drinking smiley

He didn't burst into flames, BUT
Roger987 - Friday, 26 April, 2013, at 9:56:01 am
Not long after, he was spotted coming out of a ladies clothing store, laden with bags of new purchases, wearing a big smile and a pair of size 10 stilettos. grinning smiley
Re: He didn't burst into flames, BUT
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 26 April, 2013, at 12:21:14 pm
No stilettos, but I did end up with very smooth soft finger tips. grinning smiley
Ooooh, Guenter, baby, keep that up and
Roger987 - Friday, 26 April, 2013, at 1:01:52 pm
there`s no telling how many people might decide to arrive at BRBS a day early, just to get some quality G-man time. grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login