Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Oil leaking from Oil Filter
gmoney17 - Thursday, 6 January, 2011, at 10:33:55 pm
I have a 2000 Boxster S with 50,000 miles on it. I noticed the other day there was a big puddle of oil under the car in the middle. Looking under and feeling the oil filter I noticed the oil was dripping down the filter and beading off the bottom center of the oil filter creating the puddle. I rarely drive the car and has been in the gargae for winter storage which tends to get cold in the winter. I also noticed it does not look like a filter housing (did not feel a screw on the bottom) but a regular bosch flter. Is it poossible that the seal is shrinking from the cold temperatures.....any feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Happy Boxstering!
Re: Oil leaking from Oil Filter
JFP in PA - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 9:49:57 am
More likely, the o-ring on the canister is pinched or split. The canister itself may be cracked, but that usually occurs near the bottom as the top area is thicker. You can simply buy a new filter, it will come with a new o-ring, replace the filter and o-ring (being sure to lubricate the o-ring before screwing on the canister), torque the canister to spec, top off your oil level, and the problem will be gone.

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
First try snugging up the filter, clean the outside & floor, check level/top up if needed. From time to time over, say, the next month, look for new oil drippings.

Aside from my tightening and JFP's suggestions, even the smallest amount of dirt on the washer/gasket faces can allow a path for oil to find its way through.
It's also possible that there is an extra o-ring
Boxsterra - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 10:12:43 am
sometimes the old one gets stuck on the engine side and techs forget to remove it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login