Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
This is as annual as BRBS itself, but my pre-trip inspection always includes replacing 4 tires. Well, to be fair, only 3 are shot, both rears and a bubble on 1 front, but wisdom indicates that the 4th will find a home in the garage for an emergency swap if needed.

So, friends and family, whats the current Tire-Du-Jour?

Michelin PS2's (18") have always been my choice, but I'm open to suggestions.

KtS
Michelin PSS *NM*
MikenOH - Monday, 6 May, 2013, at 1:00:30 pm
they are not cheap. Depending on ho hard you really drive the thing, you might consider the BFG comp blah, blah, g-force-2. I have them on my Audi S6 (245/50-16) and they have a nice balance of cheap, good in rain, last well, ride well, and have now held up to what pretty much constitutes abuse on two tracks (VIR in Nov, Pocono Friday) with nearly even wear. I do have a ton of negative camber in that thar station wagon though....

Much better than the competing Khumo SPTs. Much.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I, too. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 6 May, 2013, at 4:43:20 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Forgot they aren't in all sizes
MikenOH - Monday, 6 May, 2013, at 5:03:34 pm
A quick search of TR showed some good pricing on the BS S-04 and Conti DW in Boxster S sizes.

The S-04 tested out pretty close to the PSS , while the Conti has a reputation for a smooth quiet ride and good wet weather performance.
Speaking of making sure they fit
Roger987 - Monday, 6 May, 2013, at 8:22:54 pm
I can't recall what Kevin's and my wager was at BRBS 2011 (a Boxster Beer, perhaps?), but two 235/50/17's WILL fit in the passenger seat of a 987.

Two new PS2's will find their way onto the front of my car in 19 days (8 a.m, May 25), while I'm en route to BRBS 2013. (Not that I'm counting the days... grinning smiley )
I certainly could not care less about N ratings
grant - Monday, 6 May, 2013, at 9:36:18 pm
Many N spec tires are expensive and relatively poor. That's not my priority.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2013 09:36PM by grant. (view changes)
I had a set of Hankook Ventus v12...
Cris - Monday, 6 May, 2013, at 5:12:04 pm
Had them for about 3 yrs and 17k miles, including 10+ days @ Sebring and 3 yrs worth of BRBS shenanigans - which Kevin knows little about. winking smiley. I like the Hankooks... they were/are reasonably priced (can get a set of 19's for about $800). @ 17K miles, there was still another 2 - 3k miles in for the rears (again, note the abuse I put on them). Just checking TireRack... and with the rebate on Hankook is running, you can get a set of 18's for under $600.

All said, I did switch over to Super Sports just now. While I like the Hankooks... I want to get more out of the time on the track and I needed something better for the track. So, I decided I would spend more (another $400 more for a set) and get the PSS's. If tracking isn't high on my priority list... I'd stick with the Hankooks and use that money to buy everyone drinks @ this year's BRBS. Alas... I did spent the money. sorry. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2013 05:13PM by Cris. (view changes)
Especially so now that the Boxster had just had a 4-wheel alignment done. Can't beat the "out the door" price...$514 (16" ) and that didn't even include the rebate.

Click on the link for pics of the tires if interested:
[www.rainydaymagazine.com]
Bridgestone so2 a

Love them. Quiet. Grippy. Good in wet.
I'll have them installed this weekend. I'll do an oil change, air/pollen filters and I'll be ready to roll!

KtS
I am on my second set now and really like them.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Time for a TSBL ?!? *NM*
Gundo - Wednesday, 8 May, 2013, at 6:46:42 pm
Re: Time for a TSBL ?!?
whall - Thursday, 9 May, 2013, at 9:53:42 am
There's always time!
Yes Please! *NM*
Kevin the Slow in NYC - Thursday, 9 May, 2013, at 4:17:48 pm
Re: Time for a TSBL ?!?
986rgt - Friday, 10 May, 2013, at 5:11:33 pm
YES! YES! YES!

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Kevin, long time no see! I hope you are doing well. I recommend pilot super sports. These tires have some grip on my 18's, but they aren't n rated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login