Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Boxster Relay issues for top??
tmichaelyocum - Sunday, 12 May, 2013, at 9:13:12 pm
I have a 2001 Boxster S. The left cable broke between the top motor and the left top transmission. I took off both transmissions and ran them backwards and forwards. They work fine. I have new cables installed on both sides. Everything seems to be working great, but the top motor will run to open the top, but will not run at all when the "up" top button is pushed. I do not hear anything in the double relay either when the "up" is pushed, but I do hear the relay when the "down" button is pushed and when the motor is plugged in, it works down, not up. Here are a couple of things I noticed: 1) my top motor does not have a micro switch on top of the motor and it only has two wires coming out of the motor the one I have seen in catalogs has multiple wires coming out of the top motor AND it has a switch on it to signal when the clamshell is down. Did some not have that switch? 2 I have removed the double relay and smacked it on the bench to see if that would revive it, it did not.

Am I maybe missing some other micro switch that is not working and needs to be engaged for the top to go up? The parking brake sensor must be working as the motor works going down. Is the double relay, a "double" so that it relays one direction when it is pushed "down" top and the other half relays in the other direction when it is pushed "up" top. I think it must be the double relay? HELP?????? Thoughts???
... I've found that it's best to look for the simplest solution first.
Check your switch. It's a doble throw switch so the down position may be working while the up may not.
The switch controls the relay, not the other way around.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 07:36AM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
Thank you. I will give that a shot.
One easy way to test the switch
Boxsterra - Sunday, 12 May, 2013, at 11:47:37 pm
is to swap the connector with another one of the double-throw switches and try putting the top up and down with the other switch. They all have the same connector.
Re: Boxster Relay issues for top??
MauriceonLongIsland - Saturday, 18 May, 2013, at 6:08:52 pm
tmichaelyocum
1) my top motor does not have a micro switch on top of the motor and it only has two wires coming out of the motor the one I have seen in catalogs has multiple wires coming out of the top motor AND it has a switch on it to signal when the clamshell is down. Did some not have that switch? 2 I have removed the double relay and smacked it on the bench to see if that would revive it, it did not.

Your 2001 has the "B Version" transmissions and set-up, which means that it does not have the "black lever microswitch" on top of the electric motor and also does not have the "B-pillar microswitch". Both of those switches were moved to the inside of the driver's side transmission with the B Version.

Regards, Maurice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login