Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The fun you southern drivers are missing
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 11:25:17 am
An icy hill + cars =

[video.ca.msn.com]
Been there - done that - IN ATLANTA
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 2:07:05 pm
A number of years ago we had a very bad ice storm in Atlanta - topped with a few inches of snow. At the time I lived at the bottom of long hill. My wife had planned a very nice multi-course dinner party that night but none of the guests could come. I was forced to abandon my car (an MGcool smiley about a mile from home since I could not get sufficient traction to climb a fairly mild grade.. As I walked home down the hill, I had the experience of watching one car after another slide slowly down the hill and crash in my front yard. I remember walking beside a brand new Audi with a sticker still in the window as it slowly slid perhaps a hundred yards into the mass of cars. The good news for the unfortunate drivers is that we invited them into our home for the sumptuous party my wife had planned while they figured out how they were going to get home. A few slept at our house that night and we still get Christmas cards from one couple we met that night.
Re: Been there - done that - IN ATLANTA
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 5:12:20 pm
Was that in 1993 "Storm of the Century"

Yup. Ice on roads is never a good thing. Good that you squeezed the lemons and made lemonade. smiling smiley I can imagine how much the people who got stuck appreciated you kind gesture of a meal. smileys with beer

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
No - it was "Snow Jam 82"
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 10:49:21 am
Less Snow, more ice than 93. However, when a storm has a name, you know it is a killer! How did you know about the "Storm of the Century"? Were you down this way?
mike
Re: No - it was "Snow Jam 82"
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 11:40:46 am
Lawdevil
Less Snow, more ice than 93. However, when a storm has a name, you know it is a killer! How did you know about the "Storm of the Century"? Were you down this way?
mike

Yes. we were stuck in Berea, Ky for a couple of days and then continued on down to Florida. Didn't hit pavement until just north of Atlanta on I-75. I remember where we were stuck in a traffic jam on I-75 in Tennessee. We had lots of time to kill and a lot of people got our of their cars and built snowmen in the median. grinning smiley. Took us until around 10 PM just to make it to Atlanta where we were able to buy our first meal since leaving KY in the morning. All the other places along I-75 where completely out of supplies. It really was a pretty good storm.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
Guenter
2014 Boxster S
Re: The fun you southern drivers are missing
CarreraLicious - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 6:16:50 pm
Salt does wonders on ice. smiling smiley But apparently everyone took the day off??....on my way home today, and no cars to bump into...

Palisades Parkway, right? *NM*
Laz - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 7:44:02 pm
Indeed! smiling smiley *NM*
CarreraLicious - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 8:59:57 pm
I hope you've stopped at the overlooks on the northbound side.
Laz - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 9:51:21 am
Fascinating vistas of the Hudson and Manhattan. A couple years ago I had a few helicopter rides down the Hudson as a favor from a friend. Aside from buzzing West Point (he's an ex-Army guy,) and passing within a few feet of the top of the George Washington, we came in close to the overlook that has the snack bar. It was interesting seeing back toward it rather than looking out.
Roger987 - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 8:59:36 am
Notice there was one guy who understood that a car can't be steered if the front wheels aren't turning?

He's the guy who didn't mash the brakes, but, instead, steered his way around the carnage. Bravo!
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 11:43:46 am
Roger987
Notice there was one guy who understood that a car can't be steered if the front wheels aren't turning?

He's the guy who didn't mash the brakes, but, instead, steered his way around the carnage. Bravo!

Yes, there are some people out there who actually know how to drive a car. I bet he wasn't texting at the time. grinning smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login