Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I've always wondered if I'm the sole weirdo ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 11:37:15 am
... that after working full-time, maintaing the websites, doing yard work, honey-do errands, fixing stuff around the house, fix stuff around my son's house, helping with the grandkids, working on my car, AX-ing and DE-ing also finds time for a hobby?

I like aquaculture. I find it very relaxing.
I had a small tank on a rackety old table.
Started with 4 Plattys (now, more than 100).
One day Gary came over and said that he had a nice aquarium in his garage (never been used) and asked if I wanted it.
Well, I then had to rearrange the office to find room, build a couple of nice aquarium stands and set up both tanks.
But then the question was, how to communicate them.
I quickly came up with this concoction.

[i83.photobucket.com]

Wondering if there are other hobbyists out there.

Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
You're not alone
Bobtesa - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 11:45:26 am
I have a hobby too. Napping. And, after reading your list of activities, I need one!
An octopus would enjoy going from one tank to the other. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 12:03:28 pm
Re: I've always wondered if I'm the sole weirdo ...
db997S - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 1:15:41 pm
HGTV had this show on called million dollar rooms. This couple spent $300K on a fish tank. Their bar was a tank, but they also wanted one in the kitchen, so they connected the tank in the bar with the one in the kitchen via this overhead system of clear material. Very cool. You would have drooled over it. You can do just about anything if you have the dollars and will power.
Now you've gone and done it
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 1:33:00 pm
No telling what the Hackmeister is going to do with that information. grinning smiley

Another couple of years and Mrs. Pedro won't recognize her house any more. eye popping smiley smiling smiley
junction tube to divert dinner straight to the frying pan. grinning smiley

It really is relaxing to have hobbies like that. Mine is just my Nikon to capture my souvenirs. There's so much beauty in nature.

Overlooking Niagara at dawn at the end of December.

And a few minutes later.

I get air intakes
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 3:00:25 pm
but this tubing seems to connect with water in it the top of two aquariums at the point where there should be an airspace in each.

As usual, I don't get it.
Re: I get air intakes
Motobob - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 4:52:44 pm
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
but this tubing seems to connect with water in it the top of two aquariums at the point where there should be an airspace in each.

As usual, I don't get it.

Neither do I and what does it do? :-) Bob
If you look closely at the photo...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 5:36:59 pm
... you'll see a fish swimming in the tube.

Here's a better one.

[i83.photobucket.com]

I create a vacuum inside the tube so the water completely fills it and the fish can go from one tank to the other.
I also have a small pump constantly pumping water from the large tank to the small one.
Because of the law of communicating vessels which states that the same water level is maintained in both tanks, water continuously flows back to the large tank through the "water bridge".

Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2011 05:38PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
Re: If you look closely at the photo...
Motobob - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 8:36:01 am
That is pretty funny; do the fish seem to do it on purpose or do they get sucked into the flow....hope families are not artificially divided! smiling bouncing smiley
Fish are generally considered ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 9 January, 2011, at 9:41:41 am
...as being stupid, but within 10 minutes of having installed the bridge, some had discovered it.
The first couple of times they found themselves in "mid air" they freaked.
Now, they consciously use it to go back and forth.
The two Clown Loaches that I have for snail control routinely spend a couple of days in one tank scouring the gravel and then cross over in tandem to the other tank to do the same.
It's pretty cool to see them working.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: Fish are generally considered ....
Motobob - Sunday, 9 January, 2011, at 1:06:26 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
...as being stupid, but within 10 minutes of having installed the bridge, some had discovered it.
The first couple of times they found themselves in "mid air" they freaked.
Now, they consciously use it to go back and forth.
The two Clown Loaches that I have for snail control routinely spend a couple of days in one tank scouring the gravel and then cross over in tandem to the other tank to do the same.
It's pretty cool to see them working.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Now that is COOL, very interesting. I raised guppies and other tropical fish when I was young. Bob
Re: Fish are generally considered ....
Laz - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 9:58:43 am
But only a fish is good at being a fish; only a cat is good at being a cat, etc.
Pedro's fish are exceptionally....
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 4:31:33 pm
...intelligent.

Smart enought to all get into one tank and survive in about one inch of water for three or four days. thumbs up

Pedro can share the "rest of the story". winking smiley
Gary, I hope it's not an
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 5:26:31 pm
RMS story. grinning smiley
No, just a fishy one winking smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 7:28:16 pm
Are you back home?...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 11:15:21 pm
... if so, welcome back.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Yes, and thanks smiling smiley *NM*
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 11 January, 2011, at 9:52:53 am
Re: If you look closely at the photo...
Laz - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 12:03:42 pm
I wasn't kidding about the octopus.Squeeze
Mine used to be exercise
Sheriff John - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 6:32:34 pm
But now, whenever I get the urge to exercise, I lay down until it goes away!
A Technotunnel! grinning smiley *NM*
CarreraLicious - Friday, 7 January, 2011, at 7:24:03 pm
I have an infant daughter and do not get the chance to drive and/or do many car activities anymore so I recently started a 55G African Cichlid tank. I had a small aquarium when I was in HS and I thought why not set one up again. I may expand to a 125G when my basement is redone. My other hobby is RC helicopters.
Stop wondering... You're surrounded! cool smiley

Regards, Maurice.
LOL ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 9 January, 2011, at 9:34:01 am
... glad to hear that.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Very impressive. We need to find you more projects... *NM*
atwnsw - Saturday, 8 January, 2011, at 5:46:31 pm
My Other Hobby
Dan08BoxS - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 9:28:44 am
Hi Pedro! My other hobby is salt water reef keeping... I have had aquariums for years... I found it to be a hobby....more expensive at times that my Porsches..... My wife would say... a lot more expensive. Anyway...it keeps me out of trouble in the dead of wonter.... and relaxes me... I currently have a 72 gallon bow front reef, a 29 gal bio cube reef....and my wife bought me a 8 gal nano tank that I am now cycling into a nano reef. All fish and corals are aquacultured....

72 Gallon Bow Front Reef

8 Gallon Nano Reef - 10 days new
Re: I've always wondered if I'm the sole weirdo ...
Alcantera - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 5:37:33 pm
My buddy built one years ago he put wild fish that are common to our area in the tank ie small mouth bass ,large mouth, pike,cat fish, crappies a walleye and a big craw fish . we would pour in some minnows and watch, the mayor of the tank? the craw fish!! the cat fish was the most aggressive. we were into tournament bass fishing and found this tank spell binding. The one thing that stuck with me was how the bait fish swam wherever they wanted until feeding time, then they would form a tight ball. We never figured why this happened it just did, and then a quick as it started it would end and it was back to swimming wherever . I guess this is why for 75% of the time we don't catch anything
Some RC Hobby
Isaac '04SE (Hollywood FL / Mexico City) - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 5:41:37 pm
Everything that is related to Radio Control.........

Regards,
Isaac B
Re: Some RC Hobby
Dan08BoxS - Monday, 10 January, 2011, at 6:37:49 pm
Hey Isaac! Nice collection. I also did a bit of RC until a friend of mine decided to go nuts with it. He flies 40% fully aerobatic planes and does pro competition.... I guess I got tired of trying to keep up with his endless budget.... The largest I had was 30% Cap 232.....until I watched it as some nimrod turned on his radio which caused my plane to sprial into the ground.... $2k in plane and gear in little hard to recognize pieces....

Anyway....you have a great collection. Have fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login