Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hey guys...I had 2 questions. I get an occasional screech on every other start-upany suggestions?? because it's annoying! Secondly I need a link for removal on my instrument cluster because I bought a new one because the lcd screens crapped out.

thanks
Screech on startup is probably the starter motor as it disengages from the flywheel. It can be lubricated. I had this problem once.
I have a similar problem... my 2001 Boxster's LCD gauge (odomoter area) has what appears to be a crack/leak... is this an easy swap? Where do you buy this type of part? Any help/clues will be appreciated.
Here's a couple of links for removal of the cluster:
[www.whiteson.org]
[boxsters.addr.com]
Make sure you disconnect the battery and protect the dash from the bottom of the cluster when you get it loose. Also, the hazard light switch can be a pain.
Good luck.

As for the noise, it is most likely the starter as others have pointed out. Mine sounded like someone stepped on a cat.
Regards,
mike
Thanks guys.....Where is the starter on my 986?

Thx
Starter is on top at front.
Laz - Wednesday, 12 January, 2011, at 10:54:15 am
With the clamshell open half way and the inside "tarp" pulled away, you can then access the engine covers. I think you'll need to disconnect the top's tensioner cables, too, so that you can move it up out of the way. Don't yank at the tensioner connections: I find that by laying a wide blade screwdriver against them and pushing/pulling they will pop off.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
The red arrow points to the starter in both photos (solenoid of the starter in the first photo).

Use the blue arrow (which points to the engine lift hook) in the second photo as a reference point.

Regards, Maurice.
Thanks Laz, It appears that was my issue too. *NM*
SPG356 - Thursday, 13 January, 2011, at 10:28:19 am
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 10:30AM by SPG356. (view changes)
(Ooops, meant to edit the first reply.) *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 13 January, 2011, at 10:59:22 am
Thanks Guys... I'll check with Suncoast or Performance to see if they have the LCD screen that is damaged.
Greetings,

I have a similar issue with the screech and thought it may be one of the pulleys. I hear it to the right and a bit behind me, that is why I ASSumed a pully. Is the starter located to the right of the driver?

Thanks,

Sebastian

P.S. Pedro, thanks for letting me know about the new site; it feels like ten years ago!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2011 10:17PM by SPG356. (view changes)
And a third back up for the screeching coming from the starter--I followed Pedro's advice, pulled the starter, lubed up the shaft and it hasn't squeeked once in the past 6 months!

Ray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login