Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
It was tough for a while ...
Pedro (Weston, FL) - Sunday, 14 November, 2010, at 6:36:07 pm
... at least for me, with no board and no car!
But finally both are back. smiling smiley
My car, I'm happy to report, has a new lease on life.
I had briefly told you how piston rod #6 broke during my last stint at Sebring International Raceway on 9/18/10.
My engine was toast. So it was time to look for a new (used) one.
Most of the 2.5 liter engines I found were over $5,000, so I kept looking.
Three weeks into the search I found a 2.7 from a 2001 Boxster for $2,000 plus $300 shipping. I pounced on it, but it took a few more weeks to arrive.
The problem was that the 2.7 liter engine is an e-gas engine and has VarioCam Plus, while the 2.5 has a throttle cable and simple VarioCam.
Since I didn't want to mess with the wiring harness and the ECU, I decided to have the heads from the 2.5 rectified and pressure tested.
We had to install 4 new valves, on cylinder 6 which had been bent, but the rest was OK.
When the heads came back they were installed on the 2.7's block which had been "refreshed" in the interim with new piston rings, new bearings, new chain sliders, new tensioners and new seals.
Also the IMS Ceramic Bearing (from LNE) that I had previously installed on my old engine (in May) was salvaged and transferred to the new "hybrid" engine.
Back in May, I had also installed a new Clutch, and a new Flywheel, which were also successfully transplanted to the "new" engine.
Now the car is running perfect again. There is no Check Engine Light and no Error Codes.
It's very smooth and has more torque (because of the higher displacement) than before.
Here's a picture of the 2.7 liter block being cleaned and refreshed

So, for anyone else going through the same ordeal, you now now it can be done.
I'm really happy.
I think I'll go for a ride.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 06:57PM by Pedro. (view changes)
Re: It was tough for a while ...
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 20 November, 2010, at 11:36:17 pm
I was sorry to hear about your engine, Pedro.

BUT

I can just picture the ear to ear grin you had on your face as you were making all the hacks to convert this new engine and get it up and running in your car. smiling smiley Glad to hear that you're able to enjoy driving it again. smileys with beer
Hi Pedro, Guenter, & Maurice
Naples986 - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 11:46:24 am
Pedro

Sorry to hear about your Boxster but I am glad you were able to fix it and get back on the road. Want to come autocross with us on the west coast 12/04/2010?

Carlos in Naples
I'd love to, but...
Pedro (Weston, FL) - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 11:55:00 am
.... the engine is not broken in yet.
Too many new parts in it and I want to give it a good 1500 miles before I test her.
I think her first AX will be in January, then the Challenge at the 48 hrs. at Sebring in February.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

1998 Boxster 986 - 200,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro, will you be @48 on Sunday......
Harvey in FL - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 12:08:40 pm
if so, I will be there to take pics.

Good luck with your motor.

Harvey
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2008 997.1 C2, 6 Speed, Meteor Grey/Sand Beige

2000 986S, 6 Speed, Arctic Silver/Grey/Bk (gone, but not forgotten)
I will be there from Wednesday ...
Pedro (Weston, FL) - Thursday, 25 November, 2010, at 12:18:18 pm
... through Sunday.
I'm the Gold Coast Region's Chief of Tech so I'll be working all week.
You can find me next to the big red tech trailer at the entrance of the paddocks.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Re: I'd love to, but...
Naples986 - Tuesday, 30 November, 2010, at 12:50:16 am
Maybe next time. Congrats on starting the board and giving everyone a place again. I have meet some really nice people because of the old board including you !! Thanks.
Re: Hi Pedro, Guenter, & Maurice
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 26 November, 2010, at 4:59:27 pm
Hi Carlos. Would you do me a favour and send some of your temperatures up this way. All the puddles around here are solid as a rock. Need ice? We've got it. Wind is coming straight down from the North Pole. sad smiley Santa must be upset. grinning smiley )
Naples986 - Tuesday, 30 November, 2010, at 12:38:58 am
We are ready for some cool temps in FL, that's perfect top down weather here. BTW I went to my first DE at Sebring this year. It was great fun, this weekend I am going to an autocross. Did you do anything else after BRBS this year?
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 6:42:48 pm
Naples996
We are ready for some cool temps in FL, that's perfect top down weather here. BTW I went to my first DE at Sebring this year. It was great fun, this weekend I am going to an autocross. Did you do anything else after BRBS this year?

Hey Carlos, Sounds like you're having a great time DEing and Autocrossing. We didn't take any other big trips in the Boxster. Bit, we did quite a few Fun Runs and often got out into the twisties with 3 or 4 other Porsches. So cool temps eh? You mean temps have dropped into the frigid 70's for you? winking smiley grinning smiley

Had s**w here today along with a cold wind. Not even the bun warmers and heater would have kept me warm driving with the top down.
Naples986 - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 11:39:28 pm
How did you know? The cold front arrived this morning with some lite rain and temps in the low 70s for the rest of the week including Saturdays' autocross. Thanks for the cool down, we owe you one A. Are you coming down to FL this winter?
MauriceonLongIsland - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 7:19:13 pm
Carlos: Hello right back at you!

Looking forward to BRBS...

Regards, Maurice.
frogster - Sunday, 21 November, 2010, at 12:30:06 pm
That seems like quite an interesting, and challenging, surgical procedure!
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 21 November, 2010, at 11:34:53 pm
Here's the picture of the 2.7 liter engine block as it was being cleaned and refreshed.

Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

MauriceonLongIsland - Sunday, 21 November, 2010, at 11:39:21 pm
Pedro:

How did using the old cylinder heads save you from messing with the wiring harness and ECU?

Regards, Maurice.
Because by using...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 21 November, 2010, at 11:46:42 pm
... the 2.5's heads with just variocam it was plug-n-play.
All I did was raise the displacement from 2.5 to 2.7 liters, but everything else was left standard, including the throttle cable and all the 2.5 sensors.
By the way, welcome, Mo.
Happy porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: Because by using...
MauriceonLongIsland - Sunday, 21 November, 2010, at 11:56:31 pm
Thanks for the explanation and thanks for the welcome!

Thanks also to you and Stefan and the others for getting this board up. Lots of the posters from the old board SORELY missed a nice place like this to hang out!

Regards, Maurice.
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 21 November, 2010, at 11:54:42 pm
Hey Maurice, is that really you? Hardly recognized you, it's been so long. smiling smiley Good to have this place up and running isn't it?

To good times. smileys with beer

MauriceonLongIsland - Monday, 22 November, 2010, at 12:01:43 am
Guenter in Ontario
Hey Maurice, is that really you? Hardly recognized you, it's been so long. smiling smiley Good to have this place up and running isn't it?

To good times. smileys with beer

Guenter:

That's me allright, and Cynthia, and Emily at one of the outdoor tables at the Eagle's Nest.

It's not just good...Its GRRRRRRRREAT!

Regards, Maurice.
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 22 November, 2010, at 2:12:41 pm
MauriceonLongIsland

Guenter:

That's me allright, and Cynthia, and Emily at one of the outdoor tables at the Eagle's Nest.

It's not just good...Its GRRRRRRRREAT!

Regards, Maurice.

Oh, I recognized you in the photo since I know the guy that took it. winking smiley

Just good to see everyone gathering here again. Old friends. Good times, that's for sure. smiling smiley
"Je comprends vite, mais il faut m'expliquer longtemps!"

(Translation: I catch on quick, but you have to explain it to me for a long time!) LOL!

Regards, Maurice.
well, that's a good news story...
grant - Monday, 22 November, 2010, at 9:27:25 pm
i realize that money's money, btu for $3k or less, you have a virtually now motor, with 200 cc additional to boot.

Happy Boxstering!

Grant
It was a bit more...
Pedro (Weston, FL) - Monday, 22 November, 2010, at 9:51:01 pm
... than $3K sad smiley
Rectifying the heads is $550 and I spent $1,600 in parts and materials (piston rings, bearings, seals, tensioners, sliders, coolant, oil, filters, etc.) plus the cost of the engine $2,000 and shipping $300.
I hope it'll be as reliable and fun as the last one.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

I'm confused.
Yippee38 - Friday, 26 November, 2010, at 4:02:38 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
Three weeks into the search I found a 2.7 from a 2001 Boxster for $2,000 plus $300 shipping. I pounced on it, but it took a few more weeks to arrive.
The problem was that the 2.7 liter engine is an e-gas engine and has VarioCam Plus, while the 2.5 has a throttle cable and simple VarioCam.

Pedro

Everything I've ever read says that the VarioCam Plus wasn't introduced until 2007 in the Boxster.

The reason I care is I have a '99 with a bad motor and I'm considering putting in a 2000 2.7L. Don't wanna mess with the heads.

Yippee38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 04:03PM by Yippee38. (view changes)
Re: I'm confused.
JFP in PA - Friday, 26 November, 2010, at 4:27:35 pm
VarioCam goes back to 1991 in the 968's. All Boxsters have had versions of VarioCam; the early cars had VarioCam (single cam angle change capability), the later cars had VarioCam Plus (infintely variable cam angle change within limits of actuator)..........................

“Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 26 November, 2010, at 4:33:35 pm
I may have misused the term VarioCam Plus when I meant 2nd generation VarioCam.
The 2.7 L engines will not be plug and play with your 1999's DME and throttle body.
That's why I used the 2.5's heads.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Yippee38 - Friday, 26 November, 2010, at 8:52:33 pm
Ok. That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up!
Great work Pedro on the engine and of course with getting this board up. Big thank you from me.

Howard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login