Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Thought I would share two quick storys related by sleazy Safelite..... The point is the whacky issues that should not be... as if this was the first time a windshield cracked. But the real issue is that Safelite is sleazy. Two separate experiences!!!

Story 1 - still underway:

I had a stone chip on my 997.2 that grew.... needed a new windshield.

Nationwide, my insurance company noted I had $100 deductible and OEM replacement on my policy. They said have Porsche dealer order the glass and have them coordinate work. They would issue a check to the dealer, I would write a check for $100 to the dealer. Dealer confusion: Dealer rep 1 said Nationwide wanted Safelite to do the work..... the other service manager 2 said that is not so..... he uses another guy he trusts..... whatever... rep 1 calls Safelite. When I picked up the car, rep 2 was there and said "we don't deal with Nationwide for payment", so I paid him, I am still awaiting payment from Nationwide (expected in a few days). Whatever..... No real issues just really weird.

During the course of dealing with Nationwide, my Nationwide rep said there was an issue with Safelite... the rep said Safelite said I didn't have OEM replacement on my policy and would not cover OEM glass which I did (and my agent confirmed)... something about their systems not being in sync. Nationwide straitened it out fine and the dealer ordered OEM glass. Odd the interaction with Nationwide and Safelite and it was the Porsche dealer who ordered the glass.

Story 2:

On my previous car, the Boxster, I had a hood replaced with a windshield.... my body shop said they will call my insurer Nationwide and coordinate the glass. The body shop called me and said Safelite will do the work but I don't have OEM replacement (it turned out I did have it ... read on). So he gave me the Safelite reps name, I called him and he said I don't have OEM glass on my policy "just talked to Nationwide". Stooopidly, I said OK, and they used crap glass that had a warp in the field of view. I complained to Safelite. They apologized and said my insurance has premium glass but not OEM and they would replace with another premium glass. They changed out the glass... it was better but still not OEM. I was about to raise this issue with Nationwide as I was still unsure about the whole thing but then my engine blew and the car was done. I still spoke to Nationwide and they said I did have OEM replacement (yes I should have called them way before... I was stooopid). So my Nationwide rep filed a "complaint" up the chain. Who knows what actually happened as I don't have the car anymore.

Back to Story 1:

Safelite came out to the dealership and replaced my windshield with the dealer-provided OEM glass. They did unbelievably crappy work. The bolts for the cowling were loose (not even hand tightened) one support snap underneath was missing, and the air filter mount was simply not screwed together. Worse: the glass was installed improperly... and I get wind noise. Inside the car, I see two, loose plastic thingys sticking out from the A pillar. UNBELIEVABLE. I took the car to the dealer today and they were shocked at the crappy installation and will re-install using "their guy". They will also give me a loaner. I put in a complaint today to Nationwide about Safelite's crappy work.

Summary:

WTF ??? Am I in some weird reality show? Bottom line IMO: Safelite is a bunch of sleazy bait and switch J-offs. Nationwide handled what I presented to them OK, but why the apparent linkage issues between Nationwide and Safelite and why the odd miscommunications between Nationwide and the dealer? Why did the dealer have two service managers with different approaches to handling this both with Nationwide and glass installers? Why am I being tortured by a confederacy of dunces?

Peace
Bruce confused in Philly
Bizzare story--hope the dealership gets it straightened out
MikenOH - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 8:48:40 am
Since you're paying Nationwide for coverage, I would hold their feet to the fire to get it done per the terms of the policy. Ultimately, they are responsible for making sure the repair is satisfactory.
They must be a franchise system. I used Safeliet in Arlington, VA (across the river from DC), to replace my front windshield and had no problems. i took it to their shop instead of having the mobile dude come out. The seal looks good, no glue on glass or vehicle, the car was not dirty, it was not driven (I wrote down mileage), and I've had no issues with leaking. The tech even went over dos and don'ts to allow the adhesive to set properly. I had no issues with my insurance (GEICO) or with Safelite. If the glass is not OEM, than it is a pretty darn good match to it. As with any of these outfits, you're going to get the good with the bad, espcially in the auto repair/service industry. Probably the only other sleazier/corrupt trade group is in construction industry with it's fly-by-night operators. That's where Yelp can be your friend. Sorry you had such issues. There's nothing worse when you care for your own possessions only to have "professionals" not give a crap when you have something go wrong.
the guy was on his cell phone the whole time he was here (oh, I had the work done at my office), a finished inspection turned up not one issue.

As with you, the installer went over the do's and don't's which while I have forgotten most I'm sure I adhered to.

The replacement glass if it has not been in longer than the original glass is getting pretty darn close to it. And so far seems to be holding up quite well, though the miles have taken their toll and the glass could stand to be renewed again but I'm reluctant to spend the money and maybe just maybe a bit afraid the 2nd experience will not be as good as the 1st...

Still, regardless of our good fortune it doesn't change the fact Bruce apparently didn't have as good as fortune. Too bad. But I'm sure he'll get it sorted out in the end.
DB997s & Marc:

Did you have OEM replacement on your insurance policy?

This is the issue that was lost in my ramble above. If you don't know, you may have been ripped off by Safelite. They make tons by putting in non-OEM glass and many policy owners don't know what is on their policy nor know how the quality can differ from OEM to non-OEM glass.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Re: Question for Marc and DB997S:
db997S - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 4:43:38 pm
I'm not certain what's in my policy. Frankly, I've had car insurance for 34 years, and have never heard of this OEM parts policy. In fact, it was my insurance company that suggested Safelite, they gave me a claim number to give to them to do the job. If I recall correctly, I simply paid a small deductible (smaller than my usual auto deductible). I went there because I could walk and not have to worry about coordinating with the wife for rides. Come to think about it, it may not be OEM glass because in the nearly year it's been in, I haven't noticed any pitting. The glass in my two Boxsters pitted, and my 997 glass (2 1/2 years old at the time) started to get them until the chip (epoxy applied but didn't help) turned into a crack. So, maybe a good thing, eh?
Re: Question for Marc and DB997S:
MarcW - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 8:19:26 pm
I have no idea what my car insurance policies state.

I admit I too was concerned about non OEM (or non OE) glass but when I had my Boxster's glass replaced there was just OE glass.

Before the old glass came out the installer and I went over the new glass vs. the old glass very carefully. Save for a slight difference (fraction of an inch) in where the rear view mirror pad was location -- which the installer and I both agreed would not make any difference -- the old and the new glass matched up identically.

I did look into having this done at a Porsche dealer. But the dealers all use Safelite or if not, some 3rd party/contractor glass installer, although some won't tell you this. But if you visit dealers often enough and peer around the back of the service area you'll spot a Safelite truck, and also the guy the dealer uses for minor dent repair and window tinting and clear bra installation. (One of these guys brings the service department donuts on Friday AM. Guess which day is my favorite day to visit my dealer on the way to work?)

Also, while my memory of this is fuzzy I seem to recall that had I elected to use the dealer I would have had to bear the full cost ($1200 or thereabouts IIRC). My memory is not fuzzy on this point: As it was it cost me $500, the amount of my deductible.
Within a couple weeks of getting the 981 I brought the car to the dealer for a "Crystal Fusion" treatment. Figured it might keep the windshield from getting pitted over time, reduce the possibility of getting a stone crack, and lessen the need for Rain-X. (I also got film protection for the leading surfaces, which has been a real paint saver.)
Two months later, I hit a huge rainstorm the first day out on my round-the-country trip, and I was as blinded as everyone else. The car's mileage is now just under 20k, but even going back to 10k I noticed pitting. I'd received a complimentary bottle of renewal stuff to apply, but that appears to be pretty much like Rain-X, yet not lasting anywhere nearly as long. Near as I can tell, the "Guarantee" covers only breakage, but not pitting nor rain repellency.
I just had Safelite replace mine
Wyominguy - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 4:37:19 pm
at the dealer in Denver and they did a beautiful job.

Sorry about your experience.

Neil

2001 Boxster S
Sorry for the ramble above.... I was pretty angry at the time.

The point of all of this is that Safelite tried not to honor my paid policy provision for OEM glass twice (successful once). Beware!

Twice, Safelite's "system" specifically did not show my policy to have OEM replacement glass which I did. Nationwide has some sort of formal relationship with Safelite and appear to share policy data (as noted by my agent saying things were "out of sync"). If I left it to Safelite, I would have had non-OEM glass installed (as did happen with my Boxster). Nationwide has been fine, as long as I inquired to them about OEM and then they pushed back on Safelite.

Know your policy for OEM glass replacement by talking to your agent first... don't rely on a body shop for "easy coordination" as I did with my Boxster, and demand OEM glass if you are entitled. Then, confirm that it is OEM glass when they install. You can know this by ensuring it is the same manufacturer as the original... the manufacturer is visible on the glass itself.

There is more to this story, although it is not first hand. I have two friends that had the same experience with Safelite... one had Safelite confirm that he was getting OEM only to have the truck show up with a different one. He sent them away.

As I understand it, non-OEM glass meets all safety regs, but I have had two bad experiences with non-OEM glass. The first was with an old Honda and the second with my Boxster. In both, the field of view was warped where the glass curved on the passenger side. This is just not high-quality optical properties and annoying as hell to me. I have no data on pitting, the optics are my major concern.

Notice that two "sharp" Porsche owners, Marc and DB997S (no sarcasm here, a real compliment) both did not know what their policy stated and therefore may have received sub-quality (at least optically) glass despite maybe having paid for it in their policy. While you may not care, these OEM clauses cost you money and therefore you did not get what you paid for. This fact is, at a minimum, not acceptable to me. If you don't care about the glass, then call your insurer and ask what savings you get by having this clause removed.... then go out and by yourself a nice dinner.

The above are real facts. Now my suspicion: Safelite makes more money installing non-OEM over OEM. I have no proof of this, but it certainly quacks when you experience it. They also know "sharp" owners don't even catch this so can you imagine the huge rewards via volume they get for this tactic?

Caveat Emptor
Bruce in Philly
say about replacement glass my car received OE glass. My info at the time was there was no other glass available.

Even so as a precaution the installer and I carefully examined the existing glass and the replacement glass and both glasses had the same markings, and save for a small positional difference in where the rear view mirror attachment point was the two glasses were identical.

Besides the company logo, and other info on/in the glass, we went so far as to look at the antenna wire locations, its routing, and there the connections were, tint color and depth, everything that was visible. I could not at the time compare the edge finish of the new glass to the original glass as the original glass was installed and the edge hidden.

Were the glass replaced today I suspect there are other glass available. Well, maybe. The market may be too small to attract a second maker of glass for these cars. Bazillons of Hondas, Toyotas, etc make for some incentive to produce glass. Porsches? Not so much.
How does one tell if it is OEM glass? I have a stamp in the lower driver's side corner of the windshield. It says "Made in Czech Republic." I've been to Prague and they do have good glass over there, but not sure if it translates to auto. There are other markings and numbers in that area. Plus, the wires in the window run up the sides like they did in the old glass. Here's a photo (hopefully) of the stamp:

The best Czech glass is a Pilsner Urquell bottle. That is simply fact. It holds a gift from the gods, takes the edge off of a bad day, and just keeps me looking up to Friday evening.

Yes, that is OEM glass. Saint-Gobain is a supplier to Porsche and what my Boxster came with from the factory. I think it is actually a French company.

Glug Glug,
Bruce in Philly
Re: !!!! The best Czech glass is......
db997S - Thursday, 20 June, 2013, at 10:31:38 am
Thanks, that's good to know. Yes, very good suds over there. Don't recall seeing many cans, either, and I did my share of research.
If you poke around the car, you will find other parts with the same logo stamped into/onto them.
Saint Gobain started near my old B-school in the Nemours area of France... and that's where I had a cracked windshield replaced... by the local Ford dealer. Still on the car and they even saved the MA inspection sticker!

The guy remarked that I was unlike all French Porsche drivers, who went out of their way to be arrogant lugnuts. (Well, he used a more profane term, I'll let your imagination run wild).
See your agent....
Eric (Plug Guy) - Sunday, 23 June, 2013, at 8:07:01 am
If I were you, and assuming you used an agent for your Nationwide policy, I'd go see your agent and raise hell.

The agent is the primary contact here - and let him/her know how Nationwide failed in this process. Yes, there were others at fault, and plenty of missteps along the way, but you pay an agent (usually) for your insurance, and for me, any claim issues I have go straight to my agent, who wants my business to continue.

Good luck.
Re: See your agent....
MikenOH - Sunday, 23 June, 2013, at 7:42:47 pm
Well said; we have Nationwide also and had a fiasco with a homeowners claim with one of their claims people.
It looked like it was going to go nuclear until our agent stepped in and spoke with an appropriate claims supervisor that made things right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login