Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2013 JD Power Ratings
Michael SYS Driver - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 5:26:51 pm
Wow Porsche went to #1 in the JD Power Initial Quality ratings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2013 05:27PM by Michael SYS Driver. (view changes)
Yep. More bragging rights for us!
Laz - Wednesday, 19 June, 2013, at 6:00:03 pm
There are still old-timers around who think sports cars by nature are unreliable.
Re: 2013 JD Power Ratings
kmmcdonald - Thursday, 20 June, 2013, at 12:20:52 pm
JD Power ratings are worth the $1 they pay each respondent.

We have a 2003S which we bought new. The engine and transmission were replaced under warranty in separate incidences. The dealer service was excellent, and the car itself has otherwise been somewhat reliable (window regulators require occasional replacement, and the top motors were recently replaced, but I don't hold that against a 10-year convertible).

The dashboard AC mechanism was replaced under an extended warranty (Warranty Direct). Other work was done under extended warranty, but I do not recall the details at this time. However, I do recall that the cost of repairs performed under extended warranty overall exceeded the cost of the warranty. In preparation for an upgrade to a 2014 Boxster S, I solicited Warranty Direct for a quote. WD does not list the Boxster as a selection for coverage on their web page. Additional investigation revealed that WD ceased to offer extended coverage on Boxsters with the 987 model due to the excessive incidences of repair. An email to WD resulted in a reply that they would offer coverage on a 2014 model if I contacted them directly.

I do not consider a Boxster a very reliable vehicle. If I had not had to have had the engine and transmission replaced (unprecedented in my experience), I might consider it to be of average quality. Although it has never left me stranded, I would not be considering purchasing another if an extended warranty was not available, and if the dealer did not get every repair right the first time. Surprisingly, the most reliable vehicle we have ever had (which we still have) is a 1993 Jeep Wrangler. Almost nothing has gone wrong with it, with the exception of those repairs that resulted from my abuse or modifications.

Keith
db997S - Thursday, 20 June, 2013, at 4:41:34 pm
Was your Jeep part of the 2.7 million recalled for fire upon rear-end, sort of like the Gremlin? I thought the quality on my 2002 S was poor (it was even starting to rattle a bit when traded in in 2009), but my 1999 base was better than average. Besides doing away with the IMS, reliability was one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade from the 2002. My 2009 997S Cab, knock on wood, leaves the Boxsters in the dust complaint wise. Besides a headlamp washer going on the fritz, and the DFI replacement (a silent recall?) done while in the shop for my one-year service, I believe the car has only seen the dealer for annual service, unless there was a minor issue I'm forgetting about. It seems to be a much more solid car than either of the Boxsters, and it should, for the price. Only complaint, it seems to eat rubber at a faster pace then the Boxsters, and those rear tires are F-A-T.
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 21 June, 2013, at 4:28:07 pm
So this is how many generations of build processes and designs removed from the anecdotes being posted?

I've gotten these surveys repeatedly recently about cars I've purchased and I've always wondered how self selecting the group that responds is and how they are conditioned to confirm the wisdom of their purchase. In other words, I don't trust the surveys.
Well put, mike. *NM*
Laz - Friday, 21 June, 2013, at 7:25:18 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2013 07:27PM by Laz. (view changes)
Ninety days seem about right for the "shake down" of a new car.
Laz - Wednesday, 26 June, 2013, at 9:28:36 am
It also leads to why extended warranties for solid state electronics aren't worthwhile: they'll either blow up right away, or last for decades.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login